wild caught grasshoppers?

well its more about what the ones you find have been eating. important If they are eating toxic weeds are dead carrion I read about a lady who eats them dipped in chocolate:unsure:

dont most grasshoppers have yellow on them?

Some do, yes, so you should check to ensure they aren't lubbers (which usually have a combination of yellow, black, and a little red). If you are in doubt, stick to green, grey, or brown hoppers, until you are a bit more confident in IDing them. There are bird grasshoppers (and others) that are yellow, but still easily differentiated from lubbers.

Differential Grasshoppers are the ones that are probably most yellow looking, in my area..but if you look up a lubber, there's no mistaking them. You can also type in your area into Google and "native grasshoppers" to find a local biodiversity or nature site that will show you photos of the grasshoppers most common in your area.

It looks like you are in Texas, and I do think that you guys get the yellow Eastern lubber and Black Horse lubbers... but you also get a whole lot of other hoppers!

These are lubbers:
18.https___www_inaturalist_org_photos_1055721.jpg

635781910424740947-ThinkstockPhotos-477528328.jpg
download.jpg

These are safe, various "bird" grasshopper species:
images.jpg
unnamed.jpg
20080914_068.jpg

This is a differential grasshopper (safe to eat). You can ID them by the chevron marks on their femurs / legs.

IMG0011-2.jpg

there are many more, but these are some examples of what you may find in your area.

You are also supposed to snap off the back legs of the really big ones but I could never do that (so cruel) maybe use smaller ones

i will inspecting all the bugs before i feed them.

one of my dads friends fed a store bought cricket to his jackson chameleon years ago and he said the chameleon died about an hour after😢but it also could have not been the cricket that killed the chameleon, this guy is crazy he took a trip to hawaii and caught a baby jackson chameleon and then put it in a coffee tin and flew back to texas with it 😡so cruel to the poor lil guy

i will inspecting all the bugs before i feed them.

one of my dads friends fed a store bought cricket to his jackson chameleon years ago and he said the chameleon died about an hour after😢but it also could have not been the cricket that killed the chameleon, this guy is crazy he took a trip to hawaii and caught a baby jackson chameleon and then put it in a coffee tin and flew back to texas with it 😡so cruel to the poor lil guy
Well that escalated quickly...

I recommend buying or feeding only captive bred grasshoppers. I used to feed wild caught hoppers regularly during the summer. However I had one hopper that I think may have been exposed to contaminants that was fed out, that I think led to complications and an early death for that reptile. 98% of the time when you exercise caution it is safe. However that 2% is of extreme concern of your prized reptiles that you are feeding these hoppers too. With these captive bred hoppers being made available I say stay safe with captive bred sources.

Best Regard
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom