Why won't my male mate when my female is showing right signs?

lilychams55

My female is staying pretty still and near to my male showing no aggression and nice normal colours, however my male just ing notes her and attempts to get out buy clawing at the glass. They are both a year old and he has head bobbed once at her but I have tried many times now and nothing is coming form it! Help please. And she looks like pic below at moment and won't eat do you think that she is gravid and they mated when I wasn't looking?
yzu4agup.jpg

I am assuming that is a panther, right? Not the best of pictures to be able to tell. I am probably not the best to assist you since I have never bred panthers, but since nobody else it responding I'll give you my experience with several other species. At the very least it might get someone to respond if they think I am wrong. In my experience most species do not have huge differences.

Males can be very different. Some are extremely aggressive towards females, while some hardly notice them. I have always associated aggressive breeding with young inexperienced males but that might not be true. Also males that are used to females or other chameleons in there view or cage tend to be less aggressive. I don't know what the case with yours is but this is what I do.

When the females become receptive I introduce the male into her cage. This is because I feel that the male is not as aggressive if he is not in his territory. If the female is indeed receptive she will not resist him or try to fight him off anyway. If the male does not try and mate with the female immediately I sit back and watch their behavior for a while. If neither are stressed by the situation, I will house them together until they become intolerant of each other or she is clearly gravid. She usually becomes intolerant when she is gravid. A lot of people might tell you that you can never house them together but I just go off of observations. Veileds are the most aggressive species with mating that I have worked with. I have bred veileds housing them singly, I pairs, and in groups in a free range. Based on my observations I don't know which is better for the chameleons. They all worked as far as breeding is conserved. Now I always remove gravid females but that is my only strict rule. A lot of times after they have been together for a while I will stumble in on them mating but sometimes I never witness it. I try other thing to but this usually works for me. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for the reply! I am worried about leaving them together when I'm not home as it's a long time so if they mated and she then starts to warn him off there could be an injured chameleon when I get home. Yes she's a panther blue bar, she was down the side of her laying bin yesterday all day and I checked where she was digging and no eggs so I don't know what was going on there. I am sure that they haven't mated as my male head bobs and then just keeps coming to the door to try and get out.
vu4a7ure.jpg
maybe this picture is better. I just don't understand why she's changed colours an he won't mate. She shows no aggression and normal has very little movement but he just wants to see a hums instead. Thanks again.

In my experience, if you want them to breed, keep them seperate and out of sight from each other except for a short (5 minute) period every day or two. Absense makes the heart grow fonder, and the short regular exposure of the female to the male gives him something to think about while she's gone. Will help him get his courage up if he knows his window of opportunity is going to be brief.

Ok so I just leave them together for 5minutes at a time and then he might feel he needs to get on with it! Thank you very much I really appreciate the replies.

I agree with what Fluxlizard said. I'll use Veileds as my example because they are what I have the most experience with. Also, from what I read they seem to be similar to panthers. Veileds are extremely aggressive breeders if they are kept in complete solitude (at least in my experience). I would never leave an aggressive male in with a female. On the other hand, if a male is used to the presence of females he will not be as aggressive. Just as Fluxlizard stated. I once free ranged one male with several females. The male grew up with the females, he was one month older. I never once saw any aggression between the females or the male. I also only witnessed him mate once or twice. I had multiple fertile clutches with every female and not one injury. I would swear that they were not bothered by each other at all. I think chameleons are way more complex than people know.

As far as your male goes. He is not aggressive, so he is probably used to her presence. I personally would house them together and check on them daily but I can understand your hesitation. Try what Fluxlizard said if that makes you more comfortable. If it does not work try other things. Chameleons are not the fragile little creatures that most people lead you to believe. Don't be negligent but you don't have to constantly baby them. Just watch them and learn.

Thank you so much for the reply. I don't really want to leave them alone just because the last thing I want is to lose a chameleon or get one injured I love them both so much. But if the five minutes every day doesn't work then I will have to give it a go! Thank you so much for your help. I just thin he wants to get away though.

...Maybe your Cham is homosexual...

Its his choice and you shouldn't force a sexual preference on him, could stress him out.

-Trying to get laughs on a serious internet forum since '14

I also have a homosexual male Panther. The female even tries to crawl underneath him. Its like she's begging chameleon style. I'm new to panther breeding but have bred Oustalets for years and they never have a problem!

I heard years ago from a panther breeder who used a greenhouse for breeding and keeping his panthers. He said he always had 5 or 6 females and 2 males in the greenhouse together. He was really successful at it and he said the purpose of 1 male was breeding and the purpose of the 2nd was for fight. What he meant was that the less dominant male was motivation for the dominant male to stick it to the females first. Having competition was a motivator.

Anyway, my male panther still appears gay and i dont have another male to get him is gear with. Ive just stuck the male and receptive female together till i can tell something happened.

Special needs in what respect?
She can't catch her food herself as her aims off, she falls sometimes as her grips not great and she is old with the scars to prove it. Well I can't really get lots as I'm only 17 and so parents won't let me. Shame as I only bought her as I wanted to try breeding . Thanks for sharing the story it was great.

Back
Top Bottom