Why is Taller Better?

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
I know the minimum recommended enclosure size to be 24x24x48.

Now My question is; I see Uncle Sneaky C. roaming his cage a lot, but he rarely uses vertical space, why is taller better instead of longer? He has access to every single corner of his cage, but I still see him using mostly the horizontal space provided.
Meaning he mostly moves from side to side and rarely, like really rarely does he actually go down. Temps are where they should be at every "Level" of the cage. Cage is 32x29x48

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have lets say a 36x18x36 enclosure for example?

Also has anyone used this? Is it any good? or am I better buying a quad?
T5 ReptiSun® LED UVB Terrarium Hood

The height is important for temperature gradients -- to allow the chameleon to "cool off" lower if they want too. That being said, you can achieve this in the size you and @jamest0o0 mentioned. When / if I re-do my girls enclosures I plan to double the width of them.

I was just looking at the hood but did't pull the trigger. Are LEDs good for anyone or does it not matter?

So many keeper cages are designed to be taller than they are broad. If you provide more space horizontally chances are your cham will make use of it some of the time. If you are talking about taller from the ground, that's a matter of security from the cham's POV. They prefer being higher off the ground and will tend to stay as high as they can get. They know that's where they'll probably be safer and where light and warmth tend to be. Its the reason chams tend to climb onto their keepers' heads when they are being carried around too.

Its the reason chams tend to climb onto their keepers' heads when they are being carried around too.
See mine thinks he’s a necklace C81C6CFA-59F4-43AB-BA93-218FE2D506ED.jpeg

I know the minimum recommended enclosure size to be 24x24x48.

Now My question is; I see Uncle Sneaky C. roaming his cage a lot, but he rarely uses vertical space, why is taller better instead of longer? He has access to every single corner of his cage, but I still see him using mostly the horizontal space provided.
Meaning he mostly moves from side to side and rarely, like really rarely does he actually go down. Temps are where they should be at every "Level" of the cage. Cage is 32x29x48

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have lets say a 36x18x36 enclosure for example?

Also has anyone used this? Is it any good? or am I better buying a quad?
T5 ReptiSun® LED UVB Terrarium Hood
I so agree. I’m currently looking to upgrade my panther and I’m looking for more wide then height this time. I would love to push two 2x2x together but I lack that space.

I switched from the 2'x2'x4' to the DragonStrand Large Atrium and find that my chameleons roam to the left and the right all the time. Here's a photo reference for comparison - I was setting up the cage which is why both look empty.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom