Why is my chameleon so dark??

So here is the lay down. I have a veiled chameleon who is about 6 to 7 months old im not exactly sure. I used to have a 100 watt basking bulb in his cage about 8 or 9 inches away from his basking spot which i believe gave him around a 100 degree basking spot but im not sure. I Recently replaced it with a 60 watt household bulb thinking that might be a little more appropriate for him. However as soon as i did that i believe it was latter that day but it might have been the next day he started getting alot darker. He went from blue with green and yellow stripes to dark blue with dark green stripes and black spots. I think this happened because he turned darker to absorb more heat and he was lighter with the 100 watt bulb because it gave of more heat so he turns lighter. Does that sound about right?:confused:

Get yourself a good thermometer or a heat gun and check ur temps. Its very important to have the basking temps right.

If you fill out the how to ask for help form I or the many knowledgeable people On here could maybe help you with any irregularities u maybe doing. But for my juveniles its round a 60 watt but in the summer sometimes 40 watt. You definitely need a thermometerto check temps regularly.

Please fill out the form below, so we can help you better. I think you are on the right track with the temps being to low. Do you have a good thermometer or temp gun to see what his basking area temp is.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon-Veiled,Male,About 6 to 7 months old,In my care for about a month.
Handling- once every 2 or 3 days
Feeding-Medium crickets, about 10 every day,gutloading with complete cricket diet, Calcuim supplement every other 2 days.
Supplements-calcuim with d3/ zoo med, calcuim/ exo terra
Watering-3 times every day and misting for about 10 -15 seconds and i see him drink sometimes.
Fecal-Nothing odd about it looks normal everytime.

Cage- Screen 18x18x36
lighting-Was using 100 watt basking bulb now using 60 watt household, 5.0 uvb made by zoo med. 12 hours uvb and heat, 12 hours of darkness.
Temp-What ever a 60 watt bulb gets you in a basking temp, 73 mid cage ,68 bottom OVERNIGHT TEMP 65 to 70
Humidity-Use humidity gauge and its around 60 to 70 i maintain this by misting
****No live plants
cage located on top of a 2 foot tall desk right next to my snappers cage and there is alot of traffic
Location-New jersey

You're basking spot you really want to be around 95 degrees, you're other temps are definitely on the lower end but shouldn't cause an issue. Does your chameleon seem like he is trying to get to the light? If you're light is on top of the cage sometimes when their temps are to low they will climb to the top of the cage and hang upside down. If that's happening, I'd either lower the bulb if possible(make sure your cham cannot come in contact with it) or put the 100w back on and adjust it's height until you get the right temps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom