Why is my chameleon eating dirt?

Do a search on beta carotene vs. preform vitamin A on this forum and you may want to reconsider your supplements. The argument that Panthers don't convert beta carotene to Vit A is not resolved, but anecdotal evidence may suggest it.
I recommend Zoomed's Reptivite wit D3 every second day alternating with any good brand of calcium without D3. The Reptivite is formulated for daily use and it does have pre form vitamin A, not beta carotene.

im using exo terra as my supplementation its supposed to be used almost daily....

wow, i see where this can be missleading..
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22846

Insects: "Thoroughly mix a 1:1 ratio of Exo Terra Multi Vitamin Powder Supplement and Exo Terra Calcium + D3 Powder Supplement or Exo Terra Calcium Powder Supplement in a container and add live insects. Cover and shake gently until all insects are "coated." No other supplementation is required. Always provide clean fresh drinking water"

This is what i have found about the ExoTerra multi vitimin. Im trying to search to see if this is Cham specific. Or applies to all reptiles (but since Chameleons are'nt "all reptiles")

also if it makes a difference he shot the dirt with his tongue instead off scooping it up. could he have a problem with his eyes?

also if it makes a difference he shot the dirt with his tongue instead off scooping it up. could he have a problem with his eyes?

Mine did the same, i covered the dirt with flat river stones and he stopped. But he does try to eat his poop from time to time. I think it's just mistaken for a feeder. Just keep the soil covered and the cage poopfree and you'll be good.

I notice he started doing it after i cut back his feeding from every day to every other day. I think he is just hungry.

Back
Top Bottom