Why is my cham gaping?

I would agree with a temperature issue. Could you post a pic of the entire setup and what lights you are using?

How dangerous can RI be and can it be cured by itself or I need to take him to the vet?
A respiratory infection requires a vet, both to diagnose and to prescribe. Please ask your vet if ceftaz would be appropriate. Baytril should be a last resort, your Cham needs to have strong kidneys, and you have to be on the ball with hydration....

In my non-veterinary/scientist opinion...modesty occasionally eludes me.

I would agree with a temperature issue. Could you post a pic of the entire setup and what lights you are using?
Its 100w light. It was 150w so i changed it..

Attachments

• 2EE2C249-DD1F-4B53-B1CB-BB92D5EEAD2E.jpeg
    2EE2C249-DD1F-4B53-B1CB-BB92D5EEAD2E.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 7D9DB739-96AE-405A-91BC-B554367B50C1.jpeg
    7D9DB739-96AE-405A-91BC-B554367B50C1.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 3F39C93B-45F4-4BBA-BD7E-008BA5953D86.jpeg
    3F39C93B-45F4-4BBA-BD7E-008BA5953D86.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 4DF10A69-54F7-49A8-822E-F26A31104E84.jpeg
    4DF10A69-54F7-49A8-822E-F26A31104E84.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 61
A respiratory infection requires a vet, both to diagnose and to prescribe. Please ask your vet if ceftaz would be appropriate. Baytril should be a last resort, your Cham needs to have strong kidneys, and you have to be on the ball with hydration....

In my non-veterinary/scientist opinion...modesty occasionally eludes me.
How can I be sure he has RI.Because I don’t want to traumatize him with vet if I’m not sure somethings wrong because he’s acting normall except gaping..

How can I be sure he has RI.Because I don’t want to traumatize him with vet if I’m not sure somethings wrong because he’s acting normall except gaping..
A vet visit is a perfectly safe thing to do. Yes, it is a temporary stress, but temporary stresses aren’t really a problem. Wild chameleons get temporarily stressed all the time by predators, etc. It’s the chronic low level stress that appears to be the problem. You can’t be sure of an RI unless you are able to run blood tests and do a bacterial culture yourself. My advice is to go to the vet. It won’t hurt, and the longer you delay, the bigger any potential problem will get.

A vet visit is a perfectly safe thing to do. Yes, it is a temporary stress, but temporary stresses aren’t really a problem. Wild chameleons get temporarily stressed all the time by predators, etc. It’s the chronic low level stress that appears to be the problem. You can’t be sure of an RI unless you are able to run blood tests and do a bacterial culture yourself. My advice is to go to the vet. It won’t hurt, and the longer you delay, the bigger any potential problem will get.
He is not scared of me and my friends at all.. Will he loose trust in me if i get him out and to the vet? I really dont want him to be scared of me for the rest of his life

He is not scared of me and my friends at all.. Will he loose trust in me if i get him out and to the vet? I really dont want him to be scared of me for the rest of his life
Chameleons aren’t wired like that. They don’t hold grudges. Sure, severe trauma might cause an associative connection, but that’s not what we’re talking about. Anyways, my advice is a vet visit. I have 10 chameleons, and the minute I think something is up, I go to the vet. None of chams have held it against me.

Chameleons aren’t wired like that. They don’t hold grudges. Sure, severe trauma might cause an associative connection, but that’s not what we’re talking about. Anyways, my advice is a vet visit. I have 10 chameleons, and the minute I think something is up, I go to the vet. None of chams have held it against me.
Thank you so much

Can a chameleon die from RI? Im really stressed right now. Going to ver first thing in the morning.
Any animal can pass because of a persistent infection. Because she’s eating and behaving normally (besides the gaping), and you don’t even know whether she does have an infection, it’s not time to panic/stress. Go to the vet tomorrow, and see where you stand. Even if it turns out she has an RI, you’ve caught it early, she’ll get medicated, and then she’ll be fine. Can you take close pic of her?

Has he been eating juicy bugs with a lot of moisture? My cham does this after eating a bunch of silkworms or hornworms, stops doing it after about an hour though.

Has he been eating juicy bugs with a lot of moisture? My cham does this after eating a bunch of silkworms or hornworms, stops doing it after about an hour though.
He’s eating dubia roaches and they are juicy and usually he start gaping after he eats them..

One thing to remember if you go to a good vet. You have a professional on the hook, get ALL you questions ready. The more info you get out of them the more cost effective the visit.

So I got back home from the vet right now. Reptile vet says that he’s totally fine and healthy. He checked his mouth and everything is fine in there. Asked me did I saw liquid coming out from his nostrils and I said no. He was gaping usually on his basking branch and vet said that is because it’s too dry on there because its too hot. He said there is nothing to worry about and that I should keep an eye on him for every case. Said he don’t want to give him medicine because there are no obvious signs of RI and he thinks everything should be fine just to increase humidity on that basking branch.. Told me to keep humidity between 40/50-70% and to change the humidity level during the day and to open glass on his terrarium when I am home even if he has two openings for ventilation on each side. Thank you all for your help and your opinions and sorry if there are any grammar mistakes..

Back
Top Bottom