Why is he so mean now??

I know someone who has 10 cents and a dead chameleon, but I also know someone who has 47 full mason jars....and a very old Chameleon. It really depends on the chameleon. If you listen correctly, they'll tell you everything you need to know. It sounds to me like he's telling you that he has had enough of being handled......for now. just feed him, and let him be. if he decides he doesn't mind it so much in the future,he'll let you know that too.

thats just the way it is, and it's probably best for both of you if you just accept it.

I think people simply have unrealistic expectations of their new reptile pet. Those who cannot 'get over' the mammalian mentailty, should probably stick to mammals.
Too regular/overfeeding, overhandling, anthropmorphism, and expectations of mammal like bonding and interacteraction are still far too common.
Reptile keeping has come along way, but has a hell of a long way to go yet.
Its ironic that folk can be so 'taken' with animal life that we continue to assume control of them, yet still are arrogant enough to consider non human life expendable.

For god's sake buy a book or two, do some reading/research (before you aquire you aquire any animal, next time) and if you want a pet that will play with you, buy a dog.
Does anyone these days aquire an animal for any reason other than, 'it seems cool' ?
If you thought chameleons were 'so cool' you might've learnt something about them/their behavious/care, before you aquired one.

Im not doing a huge post explaining how/why your animal is exhibiting natural behaviour,
bust your piggybank and buy a book. Good luck to you and the lizard.

its just weird that he seems like he always wants to be handled by coming to the cage and climbing on me and such. just seems like the past 2 days he has just gone nuts

are you taller than where your cage sits????? chams will go to on anythng that is higher than where they are.

I think people simply have unrealistic expectations of their new reptile pet. Those who cannot 'get over' the mammalian mentailty, should probably stick to mammals.
Too regular/overfeeding, overhandling, anthropmorphism, and expectations of mammal like bonding and interacteraction are still far too common.
Reptile keeping has come along way, but has a hell of a long way to go yet.
Its ironic that folk can be so 'taken' with animal life that we continue to assume control of them, yet still are arrogant enough to consider non human life expendable.

For god's sake buy a book or two, do some reading/research (before you aquire you aquire any animal, next time) and if you want a pet that will play with you, buy a dog.
Does anyone these days aquire an animal for any reason other than, 'it seems cool' ?
If you thought chameleons were 'so cool' you might've learnt something about them/their behavious/care, before you aquired one.

Im not doing a huge post explaining how/why your animal is exhibiting natural behaviour,
bust your piggybank and buy a book. Good luck to you and the lizard.

well.... u ask for some simple advice and u get a response like this. To respond to this i did buy a book and read many many articles on this forum. I was not handling him to play with him.. he is not fido. I handle him to keep him used to being around people and to show him that he doesnt need to be afraid of me. Im not bringing him outside and trying to make him play fetch. Oh and for your info, the books, all 3 of them, state that they should be interacted with at least 4 times a week if not for even a few minutes to keep them docile. if you leave them alone totally or too little, they will be afraid of you. And if people say this is wrong then i guess books are not always right. But thank you for your concern jojackson and maybe before you respond to something you should maybe think about the way your sounding before you respond and make your self sound like a real jerk. As far as everyone else, thank you very much for the responses. Its people like you that make this forum enjoyable!!

So what did you learn if you are still asking 'why is he so mean'? Obviously not much.
Read the 'how to handle a chameleon' sticky thread, then ask somebody with more patients than I have today, to explain to you your lizards behaviours and what they mean.
You dont/cant train it to like you or not see you as a threat. Your trying to override evolutionary instinct. Let the lizard decide, its as simple as that.
Your lizard well may learn associative behaviours, but thats the limit of it.
You were told your lizard is approaching maturity and its defensiveness is normal.
You were also told, your lizard is what it is, get used to it. All sound advice.

Your still thinking of you, not the lizard. Try considering the lizards needs and responses to its enviroment and you will learn something. Try thinking for yourself when you consider advice you're given, dont just swallow it with your eyes shut.
If you develop a routine, it will learn to associate you with various interaction, feeding, cleaning, misting and will, in it's own time become less concerned with your presence.

There is nothing you can do 'to keep them docile', either it is, or is not, period. Continual handling in a misguided attempt to do so, will only stress and eventually sicken , your lizard.

Incidently, Im aware how I sound. I sound cranky and frustrated and lacking patientience today. This is because I am.
My halo fell off, and somebody cut my wings with a weedeater. Everyone has a bad day on occasion, get over it and accept
the advice your given for its worth, not based on if it sounds 'nice'.
I have to go off now. No doubt you will find me more helpful in future interactions here.
For what its worth, best wishes.

Last edited:
So what did you learn if you are still asking 'why is he so mean'? Obviously not much.
Read the 'how to handle a chameleon' sticky thread, then ask somebody with more patients than I have today, to explain to you your lizards behaviours and what they mean.
You dont/cant train it to like you or not see you as a threat. Your trying to override evolutionary instinct. Let the lizard decide, its as simple as that.
Your lizard well may learn associative behaviours, but thats the limit of it.
You were told your lizard is approaching maturity and its defensiveness is normal.
You were also told, your lizard is what it is, get used to it. All sound advice.

Your still thinking of you, not the lizard. Try considering the lizards needs and responses to its enviroment and you will learn something. Try thinking for yourself when you consider advice you're given, dont just swallow it with your eyes shut.
If you develop a routine, it will learn to associate you with various interaction, feeding, cleaning, misting and will, in it's own time become less concerned with your presence.

There is nothing you can do 'to keep them docile', either it is, or is not, period. Continual handling in a misguided attempt to do so, will only stress and eventually sicken , your lizard.

Your making it sound like i am fighting peoples responses. i asked a question, got some answers, and thanked everyone for helping and am now trying everyone advice. so whats with the tone? Before you reply and make yourself sound like a total idiot, read the thread fully instead of one page. I didnt message you personally and ask your advice. If you dont have the "patients" to help a fellow owner with a question, then we dont need your two cents added into it. so thanks but no thanks.

I was not handling him to play with him.. he is not fido. I handle him to keep him used to being around people and to show him that he doesnt need to be afraid of me. Im not bringing him outside and trying to make him play fetch.

I have noticed lately just in the past couple days he has become very aggresive. hissing at me and trying to bite me when i play with him not only in the cage but out also. He is normally very nice, always likes to be on my shoulder,

which is it?

Your making it sound like i am fighting peoples responses.

No, I dont mean that. I mean you claim to have read 3 books and done a bunch of research, yet you post asking why your chameleon is 'mean'. This suggest you still dont understand reptiles basic behaviours, and that whatever you did read was poor/outdated advice, you accepted on face value without thinking for yourself or giving it much consideration.
This is what frustrates and annoys me. Not you personally, your no different from a thousand other folk who decide to get a reptile pet, then ask questions they should already know better.
As I said, bad day here, im not normally such an ahole about it, but its small things that p us off when we are already cranky.
I apologise and give you credit for your descision to limit the handling of your young lizard.

Just dont expect so much, afterall, as somebody said 'It's a chameleon'.
cheers

Last edited:
which is it?

No, I dont mean that. I mean you claim to have read 3 books and done a bunch of research, yet you post asking why your chameleon is 'mean'. This suggest you still dont understand reptiles basic behaviours, and that whatever you did read was poor/outdated advice, you accepted on face value without thinking for yourself or giving it much consideration.
This is what frustrates and annoys me. Not you personally, your no different from a thousand other folk who decide to get a reptile pet, then ask questions they should already know better.
As I said, bad day here, im not normally such an ahole about it, but its small things that p us off when we are already cranky.
I apologise and give you credit for your descision to limit the handling of your young lizard.

Just dont expect so much, afterall, as somebody said 'It's a chameleon'.
cheers

Ok u yourself just said come up with a routine to associate me with various interaction. i have a routine and for the 4 months i have had him he has gotten used to the routine i have for him. The reason i posted this is because he was familiar with the routine i had with him. then in a days time he has acted very different. I was trying to find out if maybe this was his puberty stage or if this might be a health issue. maybe he is feeling sick and thats playing towards the aggression or some other factor. Well i find that the other factor is im handling him too much. so i fixed that factor thanks to the help of everyone on this site. he is doing better now. Just goes to show you that books are not always correct. Its like if another one of your pets personality changed in a day, if you were a good pet owner you might question why and to make sure everything is ok, not say he will get over it. That was the reason for this post. Just very frustrating when i have a simple question and then i get someone who is "having a bad day" answers like you did. ITS NOT NEEDED. What you posted could of been said many other ways. you say i need to read a book and learn about the pets, well i did and guess what, everything you read is not correct. The only true way to learn is by experience, not by reading. So unless you are in a good mood my advice would be not to post something up that truly does make you sound like an ahole.

Ok u yourself just said come up with a routine to associate me with various interaction. i have a routine and for the 4 months i have had him he has gotten used to the routine i have for him. The reason i posted this is because he was familiar with the routine i had with him. then in a days time he has acted very different. I was trying to find out if maybe this was his puberty stage or if this might be a health issue. maybe he is feeling sick and thats playing towards the aggression or some other factor. Well i find that the other factor is im handling him too much. so i fixed that factor thanks to the help of everyone on this site. he is doing better now. Just goes to show you that books are not always correct. Its like if another one of your pets personality changed in a day, if you were a good pet owner you might question why and to make sure everything is ok, not say he will get over it. That was the reason for this post. Just very frustrating when i have a simple question and then i get someone who is "having a bad day" answers like you did. ITS NOT NEEDED. What you posted could of been said many other ways. you say i need to read a book and learn about the pets, well i did and guess what, everything you read is not correct. The only true way to learn is by experience, not by reading. So unless you are in a good mood my advice would be not to post something up that truly does make you sound like an ahole.

Maybe you were wearing a color he didn't like.

Maybe you were wearing a color he didn't like.

hahaha yeah i had just gotten off work so i wasnt smellin the best at that time lol :p Well he is doing better now that i have backed off him. still hand feeding him everyday but im not handling him. so this seems to be working great.

Good to hear it's working out for ya! You'll find yourself acting like an over-protective parent when your friends come over to check him out in no time at all.

"No, it's past 7 and he's asleep. Maybe tomorrow we can see him." Said that already too many times hah.

Good to hear it's working out for ya! You'll find yourself acting like an over-protective parent when your friends come over to check him out in no time at all.

"No, it's past 7 and he's asleep. Maybe tomorrow we can see him." Said that already too many times hah.

haha, yea i have done that already. HES EATING, DO I COME AND PET YOU WHEN YOUR SCARFING A CHEESEBURGER??

Its like if another one of your pets personality changed in a day,

Maybe chameleons have the occasional bad day too. :)

Without knowing what occured at the time to make it behave so, and you wonder at his behaviour, you can probly assume, since its 4+ months, that it is the onset of veiled puberty, I beleive they average maturity at 6 months give or take.

Sorry about yesterday mate. :)

Back
Top Bottom