Why is he doing this?

Ldesouza23

Im trying to load a 7 sec video but can’t, it says file to big. My veild chameleon started hissing and inflating when I tried to grab it and take it out of its cage. Never did this before.

Well for starters, you should never grab your chameleon! Veileds are known to be 'grumpy' and some will never appreciate their owners wanting to hold them. How long have you owned him? If he's new to you, he'll need time to adjust.

I’ve had my my male veiled for 2 yrs now. Had him since he was a baby.as he got older he got grumpy And when I get to close to him he does the hissing and inflating and all that Jazz. Have a female who doesn’t do that at all. Sometimes that’s just the way they are. Specially if you go and try to grab them.

Last edited:
Well for starters, you should never grab your chameleon! Veileds are known to be 'grumpy' and some will never appreciate their owners wanting to hold them. How long have you owned him? If he's new to you, he'll need time to adjust.
I had her I believe it’s a her for 6 months got her very small. Never had a problem with her before when she was in a glass cage that was given to me. I made her cage bigger and more realistic and ever since then she has been hissing and inflating and trying to bite when I try to take her out so she can sit on my shoulder. I use a stick to get her out the cage and when I do she is perfectly fine with letting holding and playing with. It’s just trying to get her out the cage.

I’ve had my my male veiled for 2 yrs now. Had him since he was a baby.as he got older he got grumpy And when I get to close to him he does the hissing and inflating and all that Jazz. Have a female who doesn’t do that at all. Sometimes that’s just the way they are. Specially if you go and try to grab them.
Only does that when I want to take her out the cage but once she is out no problem.

it stinks they get like that sometimes but I don’t mind when they act like that. To me that means they feel secure in their home. Which is a good thing. To me anyway

I forgot to mention if it is a girl and 6 months old you want to have a lay bin in the cage cause one of my girls Get all pissy when she’s gravid

I had her I believe it’s a her for 6 months got her very small. Never had a problem with her before when she was in a glass cage that was given to me. I made her cage bigger and more realistic and ever since then she has been hissing and inflating and trying to bite when I try to take her out so she can sit on my shoulder. I use a stick to get her out the cage and when I do she is perfectly fine with letting holding and playing with. It’s just trying to get her out the cage.
You said glass cage, is that a fish tank or something like those exo Terra cages? Post a picture if you can.

B36E725A-4618-43E7-B823-783B7C50EFAF.jpeg

They get hissy when they start producing eggs. Please post another recent photo of her where I can see her colors better....and please get that lay bin in her cage asap... Before you end up with an eggbound chameleon!

Back
Top Bottom