Why does my chameleon tilt to the side when he basks?

do i dank

i have a 7 month male ambilobe, got him almost a week ago and he tilts to the side when he basks is this normal?

right now his basking temp is 33, cage temp is like 22-27.
humdity doesnt drop below 60% and it doesnt go over 80%

usually you will see them display darker colors on the side facing the light, its just to create more surface area to absorb the heat and UVB...remember chams have to thermoregulate to maintain a certain temperature, unlike us warmblooded species

thanks for the feedback guys! btw would guys know if a 75 watt spotlight or halogen bulb would be good for basking?

i would not use a spot light. a bit bright, doncha think? I have a 100 watt red basking bulb. i just have a dial on my light hood that allows me to control the output

red?

There's no need for expensive bulbs for basking. Regular household incandescents provide UVA and heat. I don't know if halogens provide UVA. I know they kick a lot of heat though...

I have little chameleons, so they don't need the high temps, but I use a 25 watt bulb for the peacock and a 60 watt for the fischers. Regular incandescent bulbs bought at Target.

My cages are fabric mesh which obscures more than metal screen.

red?

There's no need for expensive bulbs for basking. Regular household incandescents provide UVA and heat. I don't know if halogens provide UVA. I know they kick a lot of heat though...

I have little chameleons, so they don't need the high temps, but I use a 25 watt bulb for the peacock and a 60 watt for the fischers. Regular incandescent bulbs bought at Target.

My cages are fabric mesh which obscures more than metal screen.

I use basking bulbs... why because house holds burst if any water hits it, even if it just 1 drop. Scares the shiz out of the animal.

thanks for the feedback guys! btw would guys know if a 75 watt spotlight or halogen bulb would be good for basking?

The exo terra halogens are cool, but break if bumped when hot. :) But if you dont move it around a lot it wont break.

I use basking bulbs... why because house holds burst if any water hits it, even if it just 1 drop. Scares the shiz out of the animal.

I had that happen to me with a fancy basking bulb back in the day. That triggered the switch to cheaper bulbs for me so it wouldn't be such a hit if it happened again.

That depends on what it will put your basking temps at. Everyones recommendations for wattage, for some reason is always to low for ME. I have to use 100 watt bulb on my panther cage to get 84. They are in the basement and its always cold down there. So mess around with whatever wattage will put YOUR basking spot in the right temps. :D

I also use normal incandescent bulbs for heat. The wattage will depend on what temperatures you needso I will use anything from a 40 to 75w to get 80-85°F. Especially now that it's getting colder and the house temps drop, you'll have to experiment a little with what you need. You can use a 150w bulb if that's the only thing that keeps your temps at the heat you need! It all depends on your specific conditions.

Also, I've been using them for years with my reptiles and I've never had any of them burst. Maybe I've been lucky!

I bought a focused light 60 watt bulb for $4.00 and it gets sprayed the f$%@k down when i mist and the thing has been running solid for like 3 months, i bout 3 of em just in case it broke, keeps my cage around 81 and my basking spot close to 90, thing is great. go to any hardware store and grab some.

i have a whole cuboard full of bulb from 20w little glow lights to 150w flood lights and everything in between

Back
Top Bottom