why does my chameleon keep climbing up and down its cage?

em94237

hi I just recently adopted a veiled chameleon from another owner. he's about a year old and I've had him for about two days but today he started climbing up and down his cage repeatedly. I've been hand misting him with a spray bottle about 4 times a day and I feed him every other day so is there anything wrong with him or is this normal?

Hi welcome to the forums. He may just be getting used to his new surroundings but Can you post some pictures of his cage.

Hi welcome to the forums. He may just be getting used to his new surroundings but Can you post some pictures of his cage.
I have a plant that I want to add to his enclosure as well as some plastic plants (his enclosure is a bit bare) and I want to move the vines around but I read that you shouldn't touch them for about a week so I'm waiting to do all that until the week is up.

Attachments

• 20200506_171332.jpg
    20200506_171332.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200506_155916.jpg
    20200506_155916.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200507_135329.jpg
    20200507_135329.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 125
As you said his cage is a bit bare and could use more plants to hide in and vines/ sticks to climb around on.

I would get rid of the carpet at the bottom. It’s a breeding ground for bacteria. It is a lot easier to clean the bare plastic bottom.

I would also get rid of the water bowl. Chams don’t drink standing water. They drink mist droplets off of leaves.

Looks like you have the double dome fixture with the uvb and basking light. You will want to switch the uvb light out for a linear t5ho 5.0 uvb.

As you said his cage is a bit bare and could use more plants to hide in and vines/ sticks to climb around on.

I would get rid of the carpet at the bottom. It’s a breeding ground for bacteria. It is a lot easier to clean the bare plastic bottom.

I would also get rid of the water bowl. Chams don’t drink standing water. They drink mist droplets off of leaves.

Looks like you have the double dome fixture with the uvb and basking light. You will want to switch the uvb light out for a linear t5ho 5.0 uvb.
haha yes the water bowl serves as his worm bowl now ?. I'm currently waiting on the new uvb light to arrive since I had to order it online due to the outbreak, but I will definitely be removing the carpet Pronto! thank you!

haha yes the water bowl serves as his worm bowl now ?. I'm currently waiting on the new uvb light to arrive since I had to order it online due to the outbreak, but I will definitely be removing the carpet Pronto! thank you!

oh yes you did say you mist him. I missed that part lol.

if he will come out on you willingly and you have somewhere to put him while working on it you can do it before the week is up. That’s more so they get used to their new surroundings but if they start to get used to it then you change it all they will have to get used to it again.

oh yes you did say you mist him. I missed that part lol.

if he will come out on you willingly and you have somewhere to put him while working on it you can do it before the week is up. That’s more so they get used to their new surroundings but if they start to get used to it then you change it all they will have to get used to it again.
I've tried hand feeding him so he gets used to my hand but he doesn't budge lol. I was thinking of letting him climb on one of my extra trees and then taking him out that way?

Ya that could work. If you leave it just outside the cage so he can climb on. The challenge is getting him back in the cage once your done working on it.

Hi. Your enclosure looks a bit small for him. He should have a 24x24x48” enclosure (or equivalent). That may be why he’s restless.

If he hasnt had supplements, or proper lighting, I would be concerned about him having MBD.
thats what I was concerned about. I've ordered some supplements online so they'll be coming soon but so far I don't see any deformities.

thats what I was concerned about. I've ordered some supplements online so they'll be coming soon but so far I don't see any deformities.
Besides his curvy casque?
A healthy chameleon should have a relatively straight casque, and to me, yours looks to be bending in on itself. There is a "rubber band" muscle that is constantly pulling on the casque bones, and if the bones get weak the muscles will start to pull the casque in on itself.

Maybe it just a bad shot I am looking at, but it looks off to me.

Besides his curvy casque?
A healthy chameleon should have a relatively straight casque, and to me, yours looks to be bending in on itself. There is a "rubber band" muscle that is constantly pulling on the casque bones, and if the bones get weak the muscles will start to pull the casque in on itself.

Maybe it just a bad shot I am looking at, but it looks off to me.
[/QUOTE/]
here's a closer picture if that helps any

Attachments

• 15890536210674482810874163264137.jpg
    15890536210674482810874163264137.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom