why does my chameleon do this?

Well, I sure wish I was as limber as she is! Could it be just a simple stretch or does it look like she's in discomfort? Hard to tell on the video

Forgive me for mentally providing cartoon voices to go along with her sock puppet show...

To me, it looks like she's pooping. It's hard to see in the video, but it looks like there's urate coming out of her vent. But then....there's a big light and a camera and okay, maybe she doesn't really need to go right now after all.

I have seen my chameleon use the bathroom before, but never with the strange leg streaching..do you think she could be dehydrated?I do see her drinking but I read that it was common in young chameleons..sigh. This is my first chameleon so I really don't understand a lot of why they do what they do, you'll have to forgive me if my questions seem stupid to you more experienced chameleon owners. I thank you for your patience with me thus far and hope that you will continue to allow me to learn from everyone.:rolleyes:

Maybe she has that alien hand syndrome that some people develop...
In her case its alien foot syndrome...
The foot has a mind of its own.

Most likely she/he is either using the bathroom or just stretching.I wouldn't be to worried about it.:cool:

Looks like she might have over extended her leg and had to work it back into the joint.

It can also be a sign of MBD. If you can fill out the form below it might help to rule out things.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon. female. juvenile.
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once a day for about 5 minutes in the evening
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? so far just crickets thinking of adding meal worms.What amount? 10/day. she usually has 1 or 2 left over. What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?flukes.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?zoo med reptivite and calcium powder every other week
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? spray bottleHow often and how long to you mist? once a day Do you see your chameleon drinking?yes
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. white and brown Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
no

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen. It's by zoomed.16X16X20*
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?
15w Uvb 10w heat/ both zoo med
What is your daily lighting schedule?
I leave the heat & uvb on during the day untill it gets dark and then I turn them off.
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
During the day the enclosure is 85 degrees, at night 72-74 degrees. I have a digital thermometer.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Not sure of the humidity, I spray the enclosure three times a day.
* Plants - Are you using live plants? a small pythos plant, a wooden branch, and some fake vines.
* Placement - In the livingroom. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is well off the floor, on a countertop.
* Location - Where are you geographically located? america. georgia.

Looks like she might have over extended her leg and had to work it back into the joint.

It can also be a sign of MBD. If you can fill out the form below it might help to rule out things.

I agree with this. She may have fell, or almost fell, and she did something to her leg?

Is she still using it?

Does she keep it elevated and not touching anything?

LPR08

Back
Top Bottom