Why does he eat dead tomato leaved!

parishcromer

My panther is so picky about his food. I've given him every insect and he avoids them. Every time he gets around my tomato plant he eats the dead leaves. What does this say about him? What does this mean?

I have filled out form before with no problems. He is in xtra large out door cage 2 feet from ground. lots of plants and limbs-watered regularly. Fed gut load/ calci daily, crix, mealies, butter worms but eats very little. I know he sees a lot of birds and squirrels around him. but, he does not eat other leaves in his cage. He goes after the dead leaves of the tomato plant. I pull the leaves out of his mouth. I worry that he does not eat enough. I was shocked when he ate the leaves so eagerly. Now I need to move my tomato plant cause he looks like he is trying to find a way out of his cage to get to the leaves.

Try putting an edible plant in his enclosure. It may satisfy his want for leaves- as for what's already been stated.. They are poisonous so refrain from letting him near them

He has pythos plants. what other edible plant should I try! and are plants valuable to there health?

You could stick some leafy greens like mustard or turnip greens to see if he eats them. I have several adult panthers that will eat thinly sliced apple or yellow squash from a pair of tongs. You could try offering that to see if he will eat them. If you think about what the best gutload ingredients are, you are saving a step and feeding them directly before your crickets eat it so yes they are beneficial. It also helps with hydration which could be the reason yours is trying to eat leaves in the first place. Hope this helps.

Ok that sounds like a plan.! I have a hard time with Getting him to drink when im there watering him. He weighs 76 grams so somehow he is growing. Are dead leaves hydrating?

Ok that sounds like a plan.! I have a hard time with Getting him to drink when im there watering him. He weighs 76 grams so somehow he is growing. Are dead leaves hydrating?

The crispy dead leaves are not hydrating so I can't imagine why he is attracted to those. He might see them as a prey item or something. Make sure he does not get any hornworms after they have eaten tomato leaves. They are toxic at that point.

I was thinking the chameleon sees the dried leaves like when they eat bark or dirt,seeking minerals . How is the chameleon suplimented?
The crispy dead leaves are not hydrating so I can't imagine why he is attracted to those. He might see them as a prey item or something. Make sure he does not get any hornworms after they have eaten tomato leaves. They are toxic at that point.

I was thinking the chameleon sees the dried leaves like when they eat bark or dirt,seeking minerals . How is the chameleon suplimented?

Agree with this.
Im guessing he would be a juvenile/sub adult?

Things i would do.
1. Test his feces.
2. Gut load with a variety of ingredients.
3. Offer a wider selection of feeders.
4. Be sure he is getting enough water.
5. Make sure he is getting proper multivitamins on schedule.

Agree with this.
Im guessing he would be a juvenile/sub adult?

Things i would do.
1. Test his feces.
2. Gut load with a variety of ingredients.
3. Offer a wider selection of feeders.
4. Be sure he is getting enough water.
5. Make sure he is getting proper multivitamins on schedule.

and keep him away from toxic plants, like tomato

He is 8 months and He gets mostly gutloaded crix and super worms supplemented with calcium. Calcium with 3D once A month and along with herp vite once a month. I tried horns, mealies, silks, butter, pheonix, wax worms, he will not eat these. I'm hoping when he is full grown his food palette will grow!

Back
Top Bottom