Why do you keep chameleons?

Jakama

Not intended as an interrogative question, just curious about why the various members of the community keep chameleons.
For me:
-Helps test my responsibility in keeping another organism happy and healthy.
-Entertaining to watch.
-I had a chameleon as a little kid, so there is some nostalgia there too.
-Studying the chameleon for scientific purposes (will be pursuing a career in biological sciences).

I wanted one when I was young but my mom was smart and knew that their care was out of my range at that age, but I had an iguana, turtles (my favorite animal) and tortoises so I've always loved reptiles. I couldn't get one in college being in dorms or no pet apartments or living with people scared of scaly things so once I finally was on my own I got my first veiled my first semester of vet school. And the addiction was firmly in place in no time! I love how alien they are compared to the more traditional per species, even in the reptile world! They're fascinating to me. :)

Our family went to a reptile show just for kicks and I sort of fell in love with the baby chameleons. For years afterwards I made remarks about getting a chameleon to be a focal point of our living room. Almost 10 years later my husband couldn't think of what to get me for my birthday so he said "why don't we go buy you that chameleon?"

Having one means having more. I think that's a given. They are way more addictive than the most addictive drug.

Yeah, I've always been an animal kid too. Over the course of my childhood I've had one orchid mantis, one Jackson's chameleon, one veiled chameleon, one African spur-legged tortoise, no idea how many fish, a few frogs at one point, five cats over a number of years, and one dog. When I was really little I introduced two salamander larvae that I had caught at a nearby river into our little man-made pond, and I think there's still a thriving population of salamanders there. Don't think I had any idea what I was doing, though.
I've actually been considering vet work as a possible career path. Are you still in college, or do you work as a vet currently? Also, are you in exotic care?

I've been keeping since I was 7. I've always loved animals and I really wanted a chameleon as a present. My uncle searched and searched until a reptile shop finally had some and we went and got him.

I always have loved the variety of colors available. Plus, my mother would not let me have them as a child because she said " HELL NO!THEY ARE THE SAME THING AS A SNAKE"

Yeah, I've always been an animal kid too. Over the course of my childhood I've had one orchid mantis, one Jackson's chameleon, one veiled chameleon, one African spur-legged tortoise, no idea how many fish, a few frogs at one point, five cats over a number of years, and one dog. When I was really little I introduced two salamander larvae that I had caught at a nearby river into our little man-made pond, and I think there's still a thriving population of salamanders there. Don't think I had any idea what I was doing, though.
I've actually been considering vet work as a possible career path. Are you still in college, or do you work as a vet currently? Also, are you in exotic care?

My list of childhood animals is far too long to recite... ;) I'm about a year away from being a vet (still in vet school) and focusing on exotics. It's really hard to get in, and vet school itself is no piece of cake, but it's totally worth it! PM me if you want more info. :)

I've always had reptiles and through the years i've gained more knowledge and experience. So i've move on to more challenging animals that test my abilities to care for them. The fact that there stunning dosent hurt either. :D

They are beautiful amazing creatures. They are also therapeutic...the only time i sit still and take time to breathe is when im with him. Its like my meditation :)

I enjoy the challenges associated with providing proper care for them. Their peculiar behaviors and fascinating colors are just a bonus. Plus the challenges of breeding them just fuel my fire.;)

I had an old cage that needed filling...
Got home with Basil and realized the cage was stolen off my porch. I couldn't just return him! Besides the coolness of it, it's definitely a time filler. Now that my two best friends are gone (one a Marine, one moved to Panama), I definitely need it.

If I had known the work it involved before I got him, I wouldn't have done it. Now that I have and realize I enjoy it, I most certainly will do it again :)

When I was young I thought they could change any color in the world!!!! or be invisible!!!!!
Then got older did research and found out they didn't.
After I saw them shoot their tongue on a youtube video I was re-hooked and am now a proud owner of 2 veiled chameleons :D

I love reptiles in general but have only snakes, I wanted a lizard.
I wanted something with a little more challenge and more active(durinal) but not something I needed to handle all the time.
I basically started at the monitor lizard board, went to the collared lizards and ended up here.The more I read the more I liked.

Reptiles are great, they dont shed, they dont pee on the floor(as a rule).They are quiet and dont have fleas. No allergies, no long walks, no playing with a slobbery ball.No shots, no nuetering or spaying. No getting into the trash and spreading it around.I could go on and on...

Googly Eyes

Because I don't have friends.:(

I will be your friend :) I dont own one yet but I want one because they look amazing, fun to take care of and come home to everyday. The cage provides some much needed greenery in any room. And it is fun to have pets.

Reptiles are great, they dont shed, they dont pee on the floor(as a rule).They are quiet and dont have fleas. No allergies, no long walks, no playing with a slobbery ball.No shots, no nuetering or spaying. No getting into the trash and spreading it around.I could go on and on...

But they do shed.... ;)

Yes they do shed and the size of a boas poo is as big as dogs too.
I really dont hate dogs I have 5 of my own:rolleyes: but reptiles are easier.

Back
Top Bottom