Why do Yemen Chameleons have such high casques?

I believe that in addition to showing off to females, the water runs down from the top of the cask to the snout and then mouth… When it is walking amongst leaves that have moisture on them

Intimidating rivals, not trying to impress females with a display but scaring other chams away from their territory. The bigger the casque, the more intimidating you look. Many animals use morphology to AVOID fighting which involves risks for both parties. Food competition + mating competition. I think they store fat in the pads as opposed to inside the casque but IDK for sure.

The function of casques is primarily in the process of interspecific identification of a potential mating partner thanks to the phenomenon called character displacement. Based on differently shaped casques and other cranial protuberances and skin derivates, the females can identify the right sexual partner of own species and refuse any reproduction attempts of a male belonging to another species.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/casque-for-water-storage.171393/#post-1517072

The function of casques is primarily in the process of interspecific identification of a potential mating partner thanks to the phenomenon called character displacement. Based on differently shaped casques and other cranial protuberances and skin derivates, the females can identify the right sexual partner of own species and refuse any reproduction attempts of a male belonging to another species.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/casque-for-water-storage.171393/#post-1517072
Interesting
What other species of chameleon occur in the natural range of the Yemen chameleon?

this picture shows the likely insertion of the temporalis muscle is at the top of the casque. This is usually the strongest muscle in the movement of the mandible. It is interesting that theirs would create such a long open area for the muscle
2CD0CA28-6C83-46E4-B9B1-E31B2DFB48EA.jpeg

Interesting
What other species of chameleon occur in the natural range of the Yemen chameleon?
Syntoptically none
There are touchzones with
Chamaeleo chamaeleon orientalis
Chamaeleo arabicus

The combination of characters forming a easy tomdetect silhouette and head form is

Feature. Ccc-s. Ccc-r. Ca. Cco.
Casque. High. Med Med Low
Occipital flaps. Small. Med. Small. Large
Gular crest. High. Med. Med. Small

Further reading
Necas 1999
Rand 1965

this picture shows the likely insertion of the temporalis muscle is at the top of the casque. This is usually the strongest muscle in the movement of the mandible. It is interesting that theirs would create such a long open area for the muscleView attachment 277090
It is as you say
The muscle is
Attached to the
Same
Ine in other soecies when the xasque is small
It did not obvioisly change the lication and once the casque raised, it extended and was modified tohether witb the casque oassively,
Not
Losing its lrimary function in chewing

The diwnside is, that in MBD affected animals, this dreonv muscle defirms the head bentinv the casque to a side or in a zigzag form

Sexual appearance, species recognition, the bigger the casque the stronger his bite, water collection on cooler nights when moisture is collecting on it and flows down to mouth, but I'm sure that there may be more.

Sexual appearance, species recognition, the bigger the casque the stronger his bite, water collection on cooler nights when moisture is collecting on it and flows down to mouth, but I'm sure that there may be more.

Just partly correct.
Itnis always good to read the previous texts before replying

The water collection is a myth that does not happen

Back
Top Bottom