Why do people do this?

luis138

This guy is selling a pair of jacksons in Craigslsit. It makes me so sad to look at the picture. It is obvious that he does not know the basic requirements of these poor creatures. Why do people buy animals without researching them or even care to make sure they have a good quality of life?

Luis

Last edited by a moderator:
"Oh cool!" Everyone's thoughts on animals they usually don't know that much about. I work at a petstore..the amount of sales I deny, because of people either being cheap or not knowing what they're doing, is amazing. 80% of the clientele coming to get a new pet I have to walk them through every step of the enclosure and care because they know nothing about the animal.

I had to inform a lady today (that bought 4 cups of giant mealworms) that she should start working her geckos down to at most 20% of the diet being mealworms and transfer over to gutloaded crickets.

Haha ranting...but it drives me nuts.

The Craigslist link was removed by a mod, I didn't know we could not post them. I took a screen shot and made sure to leave the person's information out. Hopefully this is permitted. I just want to show what I was referring to.

Luis

"Oh cool!" Everyone's thoughts on animals they usually don't know that much about. I work at a petstore..the amount of sales I deny, because of people either being cheap or not knowing what they're doing, is amazing. 80% of the clientele coming to get a new pet I have to walk them through every step of the enclosure and care because they know nothing about the animal.

I had to inform a lady today (that bought 4 cups of giant mealworms) that she should start working her geckos down to at most 20% of the diet being mealworms and transfer over to gutloaded crickets.

True, I contacted this person and politely told him that he was keeping them wrong. His reaction? Got mad and told me to eff off, lol.

Luis

Poor poor chameleons :( I also hate that SOME people that have their chameleons like this are completely ignorant and think they are doing everything right :mad:

that is good that you are willing ( and know how ) to help her and guide her to better husbandry , as well as others - I am so happy to find ppl who do not know what they are doing, and who are WILLING to learn - the ignorant ones who say " I'm not stupid, I know what I am doing - " those are the ppl who I can not stand ! :mad:
and Luis, I am glad you at least TRIED to help the poor chams - the guys is obviously a JERK who knows nothing ~

I just found this add on craigslist and I am hoping that I may be able to save these like I saved the pair that I have now.

Jackson chameleons breeding pair &set up
Super nice Jackson's beautiful and will eat out of ur hand comes with really nice set up a repti breeze habitat with lights dripper foliage and food and calcium asking rehomeing fee of 225 Obo call or txt if interested

Use great caution when dealing with an add like that. It almost sounds like a scam. Not willing to put a price, RED FLAG! You may want to report the add. Craigs list does not like adds like that.

Just a thought.

I don't work at a pet shop but sometimes I feel I do with the amount of time I'm either telling someone who works at a pet shop or is looking for Cham or has one there set up need changes. Some are vary willing to change the set up and are always a blast to work with. And 99% they rightfully so trusted the person at the pet store and what they said. If your a first time owner like we all once were why wouldn't you trust someone at a pet store ( Thankfully I'm just that kind of person and before I get anything I do my research wether its a pet or hunting or fishing gear for example). The ones that I just shake my head at are the ones that just think there doing it right. Or they come on here and ask for help and tell everyone how they sunk so much money into there set up. So there not just gonna change it.

But on a side note we shouldn't get mad at people for want to learn I remember when I joined ( witch is hard for me o believe wasn't that long ago ) I was asking for advise and doing what I could to pick brains and I knew nothing. I have learned so much for the great folks on here and I learn new stuff all the time

Just ranting on sorry:rolleyes: I just think we have to remember the good to:D

People are pretty much flat out misinformed on a lot about chameleons, I was told you could keep a pair together and I'm just starting my first ever setup, and the more I'm researching the more I'm finding out that you can't keep panthers together or most chameleons together. A lot of YouTube videos as well have a ton of bad info.

Sadly, this is what happens when people don't research the animal they are getting. When we got our panther chameleon, we put a picture of him on facebook to show family and friends who don't live near us...Big mistake! My boyfriends friend texted him asking about our cham. He said he was the coolest thing he's ever seen and wants to buy one for his 5 year old!:eek: Luckily once my boyfriend told him how much he cost and how much everything else was, he quickly changed his mind. I'm much more careful about pictures I post or people I tell. Usually if somebody who is careless and inexperienced (the people who can't keep a goldfish alive for more than a week) price will quickly change their mind, if that's not a good excuse, I remind them that it's like a child and you can't just up and leave whenever you want. I just wish people would realize that although they are beautiful, they require a lot of time and care.

More than likely its the pets-store that misinformed the seller. Most people see the pets-store as a source of info., and it really should be a source of info. Its like buying a car, you expect the salesman to know what he is selling and you expect the dealership to have a shop and knowledgeable mechanic, etc. The sad truth is that most pet-store clerks, especially pets-mart and petco, are just kids focused on getting easy work and not learning whats required of their job. What is more, is that these kids complain when customers or prospecting pet-owners ask questions. Its as if it has become a burden and excessive commitment to do their job and inform the customer about basic care and maintenance. Going back to the car salesman, it would be like he is complaining that customers ask what mileage the car gets, or what warranty they can get. Overall, I do not know what is worse!? A pet-store clerk who is there for the easy cash and doesn't care about pet-care, or a pet-store clerk who is knowledgeable but is too lazy or annoyed to inform so he turns away customers...

Getting back to the matter at hand, I hope somebody saves those chameleons.

More than likely its the pets-store that misinformed the seller. Most people see the pets-store as a source of info., and it really should be a source of info. Its like buying a car, you expect the salesman to know what he is selling and you expect the dealership to have a shop and knowledgeable mechanic, etc. The sad truth is that most pet-store clerks, especially pets-mart and petco, are just kids focused on getting easy work and not learning whats required of their job. What is more, is that these kids complain when customers or prospecting pet-owners ask questions. Its as if it has become a burden and excessive commitment to do their job and inform the customer about basic care and maintenance. Going back to the car salesman, it would be like he is complaining that customers ask what mileage the car gets, or what warranty they can get. Overall, I do not know what is worse!? A pet-store clerk who is there for the easy cash and doesn't care about pet-care, or a pet-store clerk who is knowledgeable but is too lazy or annoyed to inform so he turns away customers...

Getting back to the matter at hand, I hope somebody saves those chameleons.

It all depends on the employees though, not so much the company when it comes to customer service. When you're talking about housing the pets at the store then it's the companies fault for inadequate housing plans.

I work a a PetSmart we have over 130 fish tanks and due to the employees and petcare management we always get compliments about how nice our tanks look, because we actually clean them regularly.

I also personally go home and research pets (mainly the reptiles) so I know I'm giving quality info to the customers. On many occasions we direct people to other places for better equipment or healthier foods (such as a grocery store for cricket gutloads rather than our high protein cricket feed).

So it all depends on the employees. Just because one store has horrible workers doesn't mean the rest do. Also I agree about having to help customers with their questions and how we shouldn't complain about it. That's like 50% of my job. And I also tell people I'll look into they're questions (if me and nobody else knows their problems solution) and let them know when they get back.

By the way this is a friendly post I'm not arguing with you, more agreeing and adding. :)

Back
Top Bottom