Why Amazon Has A Fake Review Problem

This is what happens when china invades! Lol, they rule us by fake reviews to buy their fake products... First covid and now fake reviews, whats next. Also if amazon cant control this why should they be allowed to fly drones over our houses to deliver packages.

Thanks for sharing @Klyde O'Scope - I will definitely look at reviews with a more critical eye now. Buyer beware...
You're welcome. We used to put a lot of stock in their reviews with the knowledge that some were obviously fake, but we actually read the reviews—both good & bad—not just count the stars, and the fakes were pretty easy to spot.

As the report stated, it's getting harder to spot the fakes, and contrary to what Amazon thinks or says, IMO they didn't do anyone any favors by allowing bare ratings without review text.

All said, I think it's still worthwhile reading the texts of the reviews. Sometimes they can be downright entertaining, like when they contain mini-flame wars, or completely non sequitur tirades.

Ah, the interweb [sic]... :ROFLMAO:

ReviewMeta and Fakespot can be great tools to avoid scummy companies.
Amazon somewhat encourages fake reviews by making so much of their algorithm based on it. We have a few Amazon listings and it always feels like we're getting reamed by Amazon fees with really no upside. Anyone can basically return anything for any reason. I've used that personally to return items that broke or whatever. However, you can literally tell Amazon you didn't mean to order the item up to 30 days after delivery. It's always fun fighting A-to-Z claims when someone tries to get a refund on a live item that far out. Amazon encourages this practice by just paying out the dispute and effectively telling the customer they can scam sellers on a whim. In fact, there are entire forums out there dedicated to helping people scam sellers on Amazon.

ReviewMeta and Fakespot can be great tools to avoid scummy companies.
Amazon somewhat encourages fake reviews by making so much of their algorithm based on it. We have a few Amazon listings and it always feels like we're getting reamed by Amazon fees with really no upside. Anyone can basically return anything for any reason. I've used that personally to return items that broke or whatever. However, you can literally tell Amazon you didn't mean to order the item up to 30 days after delivery. It's always fun fighting A-to-Z claims when someone tries to get a refund on a live item that far out. Amazon encourages this practice by just paying out the dispute and effectively telling the customer they can scam sellers on a whim. In fact, there are entire forums out there dedicated to helping people scam sellers on Amazon.

We sell on amazon and ebay and i have to say amazon is 10000 percent for the buyer. At least on ebay if you have tracking and shows delivered ebay will back you unlike amazon...

Amazon encourages this practice by just paying out the dispute and effectively telling the customer they can scam sellers on a whim.
I don't know exactly how the system works between Amazon and sellers, but if Amazon is the one paying out, how are the sellers getting scammed? :unsure:

At one time, Amazon tracked returns, and if a customer abused the return policy within a certain period of time, return privileges were curtailed for a period. Perhaps this has changed(?) ?‍♂️

I don't know exactly how the system works between Amazon and sellers, but if Amazon is the one paying out, how are the sellers getting scammed? :unsure:

At one time, Amazon tracked returns, and if a customer abused the return policy within a certain period of time, return privileges were curtailed for a period. Perhaps this has changed(?) ?‍♂️
They have to abuse it a lot and they can scam 10 sellers before they are punished, with maybe a week restriction from buying. Also amazon doesnt foot the bill, maybe 1 out of 10 times, the rest of the time the seller loses the product and the money. Like i said we ship over 100 items a day so we deal with it often. People in california are the worst with this scamming.

Also amazon doesnt foot the bill, maybe 1 out of 10 times, the rest of the time the seller loses the product and the money.
I'm sorry, I know I don't understand the "minutia of the plan," so to speak, so I'm not following... :confused:
Amazon pays out, but doesn't foot the bill? o_O

I feel like I'm either asking the question the wrong way or asking the wrong question. :cautious:
One of those, "I don't know what I don't know" conundrums... :unsure:

My experience is limited. Last year when I was trying to get a T5 UVB bulb, one of those ordered (either from—or through—Amazon) came damaged (shattered inside the package, actually). We contacted Amazon, and they(?) refunded the money. Are you saying they back charged (IDK if that's the correct term) someone later or something?

I'm sorry, I know I don't understand the "minutia of the plan," so to speak, so I'm not following... :confused:

I feel like I'm either asking the question the wrong way or asking the wrong question. :cautious:

My experience is limited. Last year when I was trying to get a T5 UVB bulb, one of those ordered (either from—or through—Amazon) came damaged (shattered inside the package, actually). We contacted Amazon, and they(?) refunded the money. Are you saying they back charged (IDK if that's the correct term) someone later or something?
The seller gives the money back and gets an opened/bad returned product that they can’t sell again as “new”. Lose/lose for the seller.

Amazon does NOT foot the bill 90 percent of the time, the seller takes the hit. They can return a used item they broke, they can say it was never delivered even with tracking showing it did, or many more ways. Amazon backs the buyer always no matter what.

Also to your last question they took the money from the seller to pay you back, amazon didnt pay you out of their pocket.

Also to your last question they took the money from the seller to pay you back, amazon didnt pay you out of their pocket.
Thanks—that seems to be the missing piece of the puzzlement.

In retrospect, I guess I'm... not sorry my business didn't sell thru Amazon, but I guess I'll never know. ?‍♂️

Thanks—that seems to be the missing piece of the puzzlement.

In retrospect, I guess I'm... not sorry my business didn't sell thru Amazon, but I guess I'll never know. ?‍♂️
It sucks with their buyer bias but still a lot of money to be made. They are the #1 online selling platform so I just deal with the negative seller support. Doesn't mean i cant still hate it though!

Great video! I honestly feel like Amazon doesn't care. They are getting paid and making money regardless, so why should they? I've reported a dozen fake listings (such as blue venus fly traps which don't exist) and I was thanked by Amazon and assured these sellers and listings would be investigated. Guess what? They're still up to this day. I've also called out companies who offer free products in exchange for positive reviews, which is illegal and derails the ratings system. Amazon removed my warnings to other buyers for violating their community guidelines because I was including information that "wasn't about the product itself". Keep in mind, I was also reviewing the product itself. Not only is this super frustrating, but it happens way too often. Competition is fierce on amazon.

To be fair, I did get downright scammed by a Chinese seller who said my package was stuck in customs and Amazon took care of me. After 3 months of receiving nothing, Amazon refunded my money with their A-Z guarantee. Looking back, I was a total idiot for falling for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom