Who's bought a chameleon from a friend before?

I agree with this, most people make panther chameleon bioactive that look like dart frog enclosures. They are from semi dry regions that are high sun exposure, fairly open, but see high levels of humidity at night. I try to mimic that with my Panthers now rather than the dense rainforest look. All the misting does build up over time and give it that wet humid feel, but I make my soil with a lot of sand to help drainage.

My parson's enclosure looks more like what you describe though, I had trouble finding any large plants so I made up it up with lots of branches and epiphytes. YL parson's are from ranomfana I'm pretty sure. And while I looked at their natural habitat(I've never been there in person) it is loaded with plants, trees, waterfalls, streams, puddles, etc looking more like your traditional rainforest habitat that many people think all chameleons belong to. So I figured that would be appropriate for my YL. I dont have any water features though obviously, but with some serious biological and mechanical filtration and a giant enclosure I'd like to some day try it.
yepp you pretty much got it. not water falls due, try to get jugle vines? ( I thinkk that is what the are called in English) and some big plants. A friend of mine kepp his orange Eyes in a semi room with 2 or 3, 170+ ish tall ficus and som vines. They live so for many years and the female even laid eggs atleast once I belive.

Calumma hillenius due! I belive they are many times found above streams and been spotted crossing them, I Think I read that on the neccas book. those perhaps could be keep ontop of a plladarium.

I can’t agree more with the last two previous posts. Unfortunately, there isn’t a perfect commercial option for most chameleons, instead, they kind have been grouped together as though they all require the same habitat. This is off topic, but I’ve had an itch to build a large paludarium for awhile to house South American fish and a caimen lizard. In a round about way, I believe this type of enclosure is what I was truly looking for when I was putting together my chameleon’s enclosure. Now I’ve had a few years of experience and research under my belt and I’ve realized what I wanted to create all along. The beauty in this process was that I discovered bioactivity and true natural re-creation. Maybe one of our more experienced breeders or caretakers could create a more definitive guide(book maybe), as to how to best care for each species of chameleon, and not groups of reptiles lumped together? I’d buy it.

Oh man... I want to make a paludarium like that now! I was thinking of doing one some day for crocodile skinks, but the caiman lizard looks awesome.

I wish all new chameleon keepers could do as much research as @dshuld and @Kristen Wilkins have done before they took the plunge! And as willing to apply what they learn! And boy is wish all breeders could be dedicated to their chameleon children they put up for adoption even for years after they leave their original home! I strive my best to be available 24/7 to those who buy a scaly baby from me!
And 24/7 you are my dear !. That’s all I have to say . All has been covered .

Back
Top Bottom