Who keeps snails?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is the one feeder I've struggled with the most. Some are lively, others die for no apparent reason. I'd like to see who here keeps them with success so I can figure out what it might be I'm doing wrong. I've been trying everything.

You can get helix aspersa fairly easy. They are supposed to breed fast, but I've been having problems. I think my temperatures were off, so I have them outside now in the shade with minimal ventilation and no cuc(to avoid the eggs being eaten). Hoping this works out. They apparently benefit from protein too so I'm thinking of offering them a dead roach or something along with garden veggies and a cuttlebone for calcium.

Snails also shouldn't be cleaned all that often, but at the same time may not reproduce if too many snail trails are present. So I'll probably wipe down the sides every once and awhile, but leave the substrate as is.

You can get helix aspersa fairly easy. They are supposed to breed fast, but I've been having problems. I think my temperatures were off, so I have them outside now in the shade with minimal ventilation and no cuc(to avoid the eggs being eaten). Hoping this works out. They apparently benefit from protein too so I'm thinking of offering them a dead roach or something along with garden veggies and a cuttlebone for calcium.

Snails also shouldn't be cleaned all that often, but at the same time may not reproduce if too many snail trails are present. So I'll probably wipe down the sides every once and awhile, but leave the substrate as is.
I wouldn’t think they would move enough to catch a chams attention, how do you present them to your Cham?

I've fed them to my Panthers before, helix aspersa definitely move. They're not particularly fast, but they aren't shy and will make their way around quicker than youd think.

I've been keeping snails for years. Got about 3 adults off eBay and the generations I have now are from those 3.

My Jacksons love them. Feed them dark greens like Dandelion, Mustard, Turnip and Collard Greens, Carrots, Cucumber and Green Beans and make sure you have some dry cuttlebone in there for calcium. They breed like crazy in the summer. They come somewhat dormant in the cooler months.

Keep them in a ten gallon tank, with about 3 inches of soil on the bottom for them to lay their eggs. Don't let the enclosure dry out. Keep it damp not soggy by spraying. I move the babies to a smaller enclosure as soon as you notice them hatch, wait until their shell is about the size of a dime then feed them off.

@Bush baby that's pretty much exactly how my set up is. I just have a lot more adults, but in a larger bin. For the longest time I kept giant canyon isos in with them. I suspect they were eating the eggs. What temp do you keep them at? Mine are outside now(pennsylvania) where it's 80s-90 during day, 60s-70s at night. Also very humid here most of the time.

Snails are very nutritious, even for humans. I'd imagine they are great for chams assuming you don't use wild snails that could carry lungworm. The shell is loaded with calcium, they are filled with moisture(obviously), and high in protein. The slime itself carries a lot of health benefits as well. I'm not sure how much they store in the gut, but they readily accept most veggies/fruit.

@Bush baby that's pretty much exactly how my set up is. I just have a lot more adults, but in a larger bin. For the longest time I kept giant canyon isos in with them. I suspect they were eating the eggs. What temp do you keep them at? Mine are outside now(pennsylvania) where it's 80s-90 during day, 60s-70s at night. Also very humid here most of the time.
I usually keep mine around 80 degrees. I keep mine inside because I don't want to risk some wild insect getting into the enclosure and infecting my stock with some sort of parasite or/and larva.

@Bush baby I thought about that, but they tend to carry lungworm, but that's only if they eat feces from certain animals. So I figured it should be fine.

Curious, do you keep any CuC with them? Like springtails?

@Bush baby I thought about that, but they tend to carry lungworm, but that's only if they eat feces from certain animals. So I figured it should be fine.

Curious, do you keep any CuC with them? Like springtails?
No, I keep them by themselves. I assume those tank mates help keep down the waste/decaying matter?

I've had issues in the past with large infestations of fruit flies and gnats, which are attracted to the rotting matter, but I attach yellow fly paper to a side of the enclosure and that takes care of them.

Back
Top Bottom