Who has Pigs??

Muddyfeet

Just curious, seems like a lot of the general discussion is older, anyone breeding any of the Pigmy species??
I know FL Chams has them both WC and CB.. but why no other listings??

I prefer to start with CB, but also thinking brevs are a bit better first pigmy cham then temporalis? is this true? but the lack of anyone offering them for sale seems a bit odd??

Thanks!!

Pygmies aren't very profitable due to small clutches, short lire expectancy, and low prices so not a lot of people put a lot of effort into breeding. That said there will be more available throughout the year. Most of the importers get them off and on. LLL often has them as well as FLChams and many other places that aren't sponsors here.

Watch the classifieds for CB babies, a few members here breed them. As to which specific species is best to start with I have no idea, they all seem about the same from what I've read.

With the most recent Tanzanian import there were a lot of brevs that came in. Of the brevs and temporalis, Yes brevs are the way to go they more hardy than the temporalis in my experience. With WC though you never know how old they are and because of their size it's very difficult to treat for parasites safely. With such a short lifespan and clutch sizes being so small it's hard to get bloodlines going.

I know a lot of people (including myself) who have brev eggs cooking we just must be patient to have the little ones.

I don't know of any commercial vendor off hand that are working with them. There are a bunch that get field collected or WC brevs. However I'm sure there are a few. I only know of a few forum members working with them.

Anyone know the math of how prolific pygs are? They certainly don't compare to large chameleons but I think compared to say geckos they are probably similar.

Clutches average between 1-4 eggs...how many clutches do people get per female per year on average? With cresties 5 is good generally speaking and that turns out to be only 10 babies-and we all know how abundant cresteds are. I think the issue here is simply a matter of lack of interest in these guys.(coupled with difficulties inherent with WC animals exaberated by short lifespan)

Anyone know the math of how prolific pygs are? They certainly don't compare to large chameleons but I think compared to say geckos they are probably similar.

Clutches average between 1-4 eggs...how many clutches do people get per female per year on average? With cresties 5 is good generally speaking and that turns out to be only 10 babies-and we all know how abundant cresteds are. I think the issue here is simply a matter of lack of interest in these guys.(coupled with difficulties inherent with WC animals exaberated by short lifespan)

Its not due to lack of interest. Everyone loves these little guys. The size, the price, they can be housed together. Relatively easy living conditions.

The problem is clutch sizes and how difficult they are to find. Im currently working with a bunch right now, and clutch sized can range anywhere from 1-9 in my experience, with 9 being at the far extremem. Average would be between 4-6 in my experience. No one is commercially working with these little guys besides a few here and there.

One things about pygmys is that they love to breed. Thats basically what they live for. You can get 5-6 out of a female a year. The problem is, they have such a short life span to begin with and contast breeding takes a tole of these little guys, and the females will die if they are constatnly bred.

The other issue is profit, CB can go anywhere from $25-$50 there just isnt any money to be made, when you take into account living conditions, feeding them and housing them. You would be lucky to break even. Not saying it cant be done, but I feel that is why you dont see alot of people working with them.

kdc: I think I would equate low price to less interest. Its good to hear I underestimated the production. That is a bummer about the females though. I'm wondering if a more restricted diet is needed to reduce egg output?

I have to admit, I think price also has something to do with the fact they are no super flashy.. at least for the general "attraction" in the pet trade..

The natural blend in factor makes them stunning little creatures.. Mimicry and build to look like the environment they live in.. :)

Dart frogs command a bit of a better price, they have better reproduction rates.. when talking about the normal, I like to enjoy.. Blending in never seeing unless you really look.. Does not quite fit the bill..

They may not be flashy but are so fun to have. Playing hide and seek is always fun when they blend in with the plants and you realize it's just staring out you. Also, it's fun watching their surprisingly long tongues for there size shoot. Mine will eat crickets out of my hand and it's just nice to have him. Easy to care for just you can't handle them very much.

Back
Top Bottom