white stuff on sides

Canny Chams

Ive recently noticed some white stuff on the side of my female panthers back, alittle on the side, and alittle on a leg. Ive also noticed when i walk into the room and she is sitting still on a branch, she seems alittle low, her stomach is touching the branch, when she walks she doesnt. il upload a photo in a sec

EDIT: heres the photo, it doesnt rub off if i rub it lightly with my finger
full

Last edited by a moderator:
id say the last time was a month ago, its been like this for afew weeks now, and it looks like there is more than afew weeks ago

looks exactly like my gizmos back when he only does a partial shed. i would try rubbing it gently with a qtip dipped in mineral oil.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?- been in my care 6 monthes, 8.5 months old
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-3 times a week, shortly
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 12 crickets a day, oranges and bug burger as gutload
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repashy calcium plus daily
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? mistking 4 times a day for 3 minutes
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? white urates brown poop
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. another cham of mine died of renal kidney failiure

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2 X 2 X 6 screen
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? just got a mercury vapour bulb, 160 watt, 3 days ago
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 76 during the day, 90 in the basking spot, night time goes to 70
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40 during day, goes up to 75 during misting
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 2 pothos and a ficus benjimina
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? top of the cage is 7 feet high, room has medium traffic
Location - Where are you geographically located? toronto canada

Is the 160 watt maybe a bit much for your chameleon? According to what I find, that bulb gives UVB several feet from the bulb. They need to be able to get away from the UVB when they've had enough.

See, that suggests to me that the bulb is too strong. Looking about online I'm seeing people recommending it for bearded dragons and making comments about how it put out more UVB than any other bulb they've used (people with solarmeters). Typically they stay in the top 1/3 or the cage.

Have you always used the 160?

Maybe you should switch?

I'll tell you, the majority of people here use 2 bulbs. One for UVB, one for heat. I used to use one of those combo bulbs (a lower watt version of the powersun in fact) but found that there are real advantages to the two light system.

The standard recommended here is to use a ReptiSun 5.0 fluorescent tube (the long kind). This lets you have UVB across the whole top of the cage, giving your chameleon more options. He can find a place where he's cool but getting UVB if he wants. You can buy a hood at a home improvement or big box discount store for not very much money and the tubes cost less than the mercury vapor bulbs.

For heat, the recommendation here is just a household incandescent--the kind you can buy at the grocery store. You'll need a hooded fixture for it (home improvement store, workshop light shade will do the trick). This will focus the heat a little more, giving your chameleon more options for temperature.

My favorite thing is that when it gets hot, I can turn the heat bulb off but leave the UVB on.

@Hoj, Whats mineral oil? I tried it with water and it helped alittle bit, but didnt get most of it off.

@Elizadolots, Im going to return the bulb and get a 100 watt instead, but either way, i like the mercury vapour bulb system, my chameleon is able to get a similar heat and uv source as in nature, the sun doesnt have a uv and heat off/on button, also before i got the mercury vapour bulb, i tested all of them on my cage, i had a 160 watt mercury vapour, a regular houshold incandescant (both had 90 degree basking spots) and a uv tube zoomed 5.0. she did spend ANY time under the zoomed UV tube, and only a little time under the incandescant bulb, she spent about 80% of the time under the mercury vapor when she was basking or up at the top of the cage.

EDIT: I had my camera watching for 2 days, set to take a photo every 12 seconds. A very interesting time lapse :)

i use the 160w and i have mine a foot above my cage and all my chams that i use them with ar edoing great in every aspect. but i only use them on my males as i tend to keep my females at cooler temps, for them i use a two light system

ummm....are you asking for help with the brand of mineral oil? It's sold for human consumption, buy that. Generic is probably perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom