white stuff coming out of baby veileds nose?

bbarbery

just a heads up. im a noob but im trying my best to make sure that shes healthy and happy...so i just got a baby veiled cham for valentines day from my gf...im guessing that shes about 3 months old..ive been feeding her pinhead crickets (anywhere from 10 to 15 a day, dusted with calcium, and gutloaded w/just rzilla cricket drink, im new and just finding out all this info on gutloading and whatnot, but i plan on feeding the crickets veggies and fruits to go along with the cricket water. Now she is in a like 24x24x24inch glass aquarium (which the schmucks at reptile room sold my gf instaed of a mesh screen enclosure and apparently those glass ones are bad for chams or reptiles in general. so im puzzled as to why a reptile store would push that on her?o yeah and they also told her that we MUST have a male veiled or else she will become eggbound? is that true cuz i thought these guys dont like being housed in the same cagesbecause it may be causing stress? is that true or are they (reptile room) just trying to make some more money cuz that aquarium they sold my gf was $125 and it looks like i couldve gotten a bigger better mesh cage for cheaper) anyways i have a 5.0 UVB light, a 75 watt basking lamp thats always around 80 degrees during the day. i normally dont keep the lights on at night. last time i checked rainforrests arent lit up 24/7 lol . i usually mist anywhere up to 4 times a day to try to maintain the humidity levels at least above 60. um i try my best not to handle her or pick her up at all maybe twice since i got her. (i technically got her a couple days before valentines day cuz my gf couldnt wait to show me her) shes usually a green color with some grey like right now shes got both colors going on. i havent seen her change into any other colors besides lime green and the mixture of greenish grey. so anyways when i fed her a few hours ago (only 5 crickets and i use one of those tubes in those kritter cages for crickets to feed her so i can count to see how many shes eating for sure.. i plan on feeding her again after i get back from the store) she ate them fine with no problem. so i was online researching and whatnot and i just happened to take a look at her and i notice that shes got some white stuff coming out of her nose? its not a lot and it kinda looks solid its not runny so idk if its boogers? is there something else wrong with her or is it normal? do the get allergies or something? any help would be greatly appreciated and i know that glass aquariums arent good for her TRUST ME im planning on just ordering a new enclosure off amazon.com anyday now just trying to make sure i got all my bills paid and whatnot....but any help or advice would be great.

Chameleons excrete salts through their nose. I'm sure that is what your seeing. Crusty looking chalky material???

I'm actually glad you posted this. My baby veiled had the same thing going on this morning. I took a q-tip wetted with some warm water and rubbed it on her nose to clean it. shes fine now. Thanks!

I bought my first chameleon, a young veiled, about a month or so ago, and I had the exact same problem. They exude white material from their nose when they are dusted with too much D3. I was doing the exact same thing you are doing. At some point in the future, buy calcium without D3. You are really only supposed to give them calcium with D3 twice a month. Too much of it might lead to complications with MBD, I think. You should dust with normal calcium almost once a day, though.
Sorry to hear about that purchase, it sounds like the store screwed you pretty badly. I got the same deal- they sold me all this stuff I didn't need- substrate, moss, the works. Pet stores are surprisingly bad at keeping chameleons- when I got mine at PetCo, they were keeping seven or eight in one tiny enclosure, with poor ventilation and a diet of only mealworms. A few of them had MBD, not surprisingly.
It sounds like your husbandry is good, especially for a new owner, but it would be a good idea to fill out the information sheet so the community can help you out with any husbandry issues. These guys did a fantastic job of helping me get my husbandry on track, I'm sure they can help you.
I don't know what I would recommend vis a vis your enclosure- if an enclosure doesn't have good ventilation, infections happen much easier and the air quality will generally be very poor. I don't know how you could fix that, but can you maybe return the cage? If not, make sure you upgrade to a screen cage at some point in the future.
Sucks to have all that dumped on you, chameleons are a much bigger responsibility than most people think. Very rewarding, though, if you decide to carry through with it.

I would not stop dusting with the calcium....its salts...but from what I have read/heard/etc. its not the calcium that does it.

ok thanks for the suggestion i wanst really sure if i was supposed to use the calcium dust everytime becuase it has the D3 with it as well

Can't believe no one has caught this yet. STOP DUSTING WITH D3!!!! You should use calcium WITHOUT D3 for the regular dusting. There's no set number of times to use calcium with D3. From what I read absolute min 2 times per month, max weekly.

Edit: didn't read 2 posts before me. Sorry I don't generally read long posts like that.

I'm not sure if over dusting causes this. I could be wrong, but the reason I 'assume' this is because me and my son have a 20 gallon aquarium with a group of Anolis species and they excrete the salts as well, and they haven't had a dusted cricket in their lifetimes.

D3 isn't the only thing they excrete from their nose, they will also excrete salt. However, having been through exactly the same thing that bbarbery went through, I would say it is probably D3 overload.

Updates?

Has this been discovered lately on what the actual problem is? I notice it out of one side of my chams nose. He had one eye closed and thats when I cleaned it with a warm water q-tip and was fine. Now a week later I keep seeing more though out of the one side and do not want him to close his eye again. Both eyes are open but it seems to cause what I would guess as sinus congestion on the left side and makes his eye sink in slightly compared to the other.

Here is a great care sheet on Veiled Chameleons.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Supplment schedule:

Calcium Without D3every feeding

Calcium With D32X a month

Multi -Vitamin 2X a month

From what I have read, the white stuff coming out of the nose is excess salt.
Keep asking questions. The forum members are a great help.
I also wanted to ask, what kind of glass enclosure is it? Can you post a picture of your cham and his home. Also fill out the How to Ask for Help form under the health tab.

Hope this helps..:)

Can't believe no one has caught this yet. STOP DUSTING WITH D3!!!! You should use calcium WITHOUT D3 for the regular dusting. There's no set number of times to use calcium with D3. From what I read absolute min 2 times per month, max weekly.

Edit: didn't read 2 posts before me. Sorry I don't generally read long posts like that.

I have a sambava panther and our reptile store made the same mistake they gave us two types of calcium with d3 in it, we gave it to him as recommended and he got edema! Since then I waited a week for the lump to go down (luckily it wasn't too bad) and started giving him plain calcium but now I've noticed the white stuff in one of his nostrils and he also makes somewhat of a phh noise out of his nose like he's blowing air out fast, but I read other forums about that noise and a lot of people say it is normal? I'm also new and was just wondering what the white stuff is? And if the noise relates to it?

Back
Top Bottom