White Spot on my Female Panther Chameleons Eye

Deano79

Hi, I've just recently noticed a white spot on my female panther Chameleons eye, she shares a tank with a male, I got them as babies together 3 years ago, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be and any way to help it, I've included a pic thanks.

Attachments

• 20220321_071532.jpg
    20220321_071532.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi, I've just recently noticed a white spot on my female panther Chameleons eye, she shares a tank with a male, I got them as babies together 3 years ago, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it could be and any way to help it, I've included a pic thanks.
I’ve no idea what that is on her eye. It almost looks like some sort of parasite. I would say a vet visit is the best course of action.
Also, I need to tell you that you should not be co-housing your chameleons. Each cham should be in it’s own properly sized enclosure. While you may not notice anything, it is a source of chronic stress for the both of them, which lowers their immune systems and will in turn, shorten their lives. They are not at all social animals.

I’ve no idea what that is on her eye. It almost looks like some sort of parasite. I would say a vet visit is the best course of action.
Also, I need to tell you that you should not be co-housing your chameleons. Each cham should be in it’s own properly sized enclosure. While you may not notice anything, it is a source of chronic stress for the both of them, which lowers their immune systems and will in turn, shorten their lives. They are not at all social animals.
I thought they had to be housed separately also but when I bought them I just wanted the male but the reptile shop insisted on them being sold as a pair, so he sold me a whole setup, glass viv, uv, heatlamp, thermostat etc,they haven't bread yet either which is strange after 2 years together, whenever I go in my enclosure ( which is a tall glass viv ) they both crawl towards the doors and climb up my arms and when it's closed they're " waving " on the glass that I assume they want to come out.
I thought the lump was leftover shed but it looks/ feels like a wart of some kind, so strange.

I thought they had to be housed separately also but when I bought them I just wanted the male but the reptile shop insisted on them being sold as a pair, so he sold me a whole setup, glass viv, uv, heatlamp, thermostat etc,they haven't bread yet either which is strange after 2 years together, whenever I go in my enclosure ( which is a tall glass viv ) they both crawl towards the doors and climb up my arms and when it's closed they're " waving " on the glass that I assume they want to come out.
I thought the lump was leftover shed but it looks/ feels like a wart of some kind, so strange.
Either your reptile shop had no idea or just wanted to sell both off. 🤨 They need to be separated asap. Since the knowledge of your reptile shop is now questionable, would you like a husbandry review to make sure all of your care is up to par? If so, copy/paste the following with your answers and someone will look it over and advise on any changes needing to be made. If you don’t want to do this, I urge you to go to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ for the most accurate and up to date care guidelines.
They are wanting to come out as they aren’t happy in their current situation. It’s the unusual chameleon that is eager to come out for human interaction. One of mine is always wanting to come out and sit on my hand and I’m still not believing he just likes to do that and looking for what may be wrong with his enclosure. 🤷‍♀️
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I Have 2 Panther Chameleons, 1 male , 1 female purchased them approx 2 years ago when they babies, they were housed together in the reptile shop the guy insisted they were to be sold as a pair, he sold me the pair plus all the setup, glass viv ( which I was a bit on the fence about) uv fittings bulbs, on off thermostat, heat lamp and bulb, bark and plants etc.
Previously I've kept Boa's, Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Zebra Tarantula, Tortoises so I'm not clueless with reptiles but I asked him is the glass viv he's selling me correct as the heat lamp would have to go on the inside of the tank which could be dangerous, he said it's fine as the viv's so tall so I said okay.
I also asked if keeping them together was correct he also said yes.
The total for the whole setup with the pair was £850.84 ( $1123.45 ).
I've included pics of setup.
I Handle my them very little only when they crawl on me whilst cleaning they're droppings, mess etc, I hand feed them once maybe twice a day 2 - 3 extra large locusts ( batch lightly dusted with calcium powder every other day ).
I have a mister with 2 sprayers one at each end that sprays for 15 seconds every 2 hours.
Basking spot is around 96FH ( 36 Celsius).
All lights and heating set on a timer to come on at 7am and go off at 7pm.
Then the heat is just at room temperature until 7am next morning as its reasonably warm in my flat.
Viv is exo terra tall one 3ft tall by 3ft width.
Heat lamp is on the inside of the viv on the left side as the top lid of the viv has a plastic rim all the way through the middle.
All equipment bulbs/ lamps etc are exo terra ( not cheap ).
Thermostat is Habistat on/off.
No live plants, located in the UK.
Not sure what the wart is on my females eye lid.
Thanks any advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20220321_071532.jpg
    20220321_071532.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220321_154256.jpg
    20220321_154256.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220321_154325.jpg
    20220321_154325.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220321_154348.jpg
    20220321_154348.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220321_154352.jpg
    20220321_154352.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220321_154400.jpg
    20220321_154400.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220321_154404.jpg
    20220321_154404.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220321_154417.jpg
    20220321_154417.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220321_154440.jpg
    20220321_154440.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220321_154615.jpg
    20220321_154615.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 56
Some more pics.

Attachments

• 20220321_154617.jpg
    20220321_154617.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220321_154631.jpg
    20220321_154631.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220321_154646.jpg
    20220321_154646.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220321_161124.jpg
    20220321_161124.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 57
i would add a ton more live plants and take the bulb out of the cage also more branches and don,t house them together it looks like a piece of sand but what do i now
The reason the bulb / heat lamp is in the viv is because of the top of viv, a heat lamp couldn't be placed on top of viv on the outside as it would melt the plastic barrier in the middle ( see pic.

Hi, yes the screen / top of viv is plastic with the netting between it, I will get more plants / vines tomorrow

Attachments

• 20220321_161124.jpg
    20220321_161124.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 63
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-the-chameleon-cage/ Proper Cage Setup
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-chameleon-lighting/ Lighting
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-uvb-for-chameleons/ UVB Guide
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-heat-for-chameleons/ Heating Guide
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/ Hydration
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-chameleon-cage-floor-drainage-substrate/ Substrate & Drainage
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-plants-chameleons/ Plant Information
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-feeding-chameleons/ Feeding
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-chameleon-nutrition/ Gutloading & Supplements

Go through all of these links. You will need to set up your Chameleons in separate cages. They cannot be together.

Panther Chameleon Specific Care-Sheet:
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

In terms of feeding and heat for your female, I would do less food than he lists for a female, and a tad lower basking temps. This will keep a better handle on her clutch sizes.

These changes need to be made ASAP. In terms of the spot on your females eye, I am not sure. @kinyonga @JacksJill @jannb ?

I'm not sure what the "blister" is on the eye...I'm not a vet....but could the eye have touched the edge of the light fixture?

Definitely get all the lights out of the cage before one of them gets burned.

I'm totally shocked that you haven't had health issues with one of them because they are both in the same cage. They need to be separated or the stress will kill one of them eventually. The female is showing gravid/non receptive coloration and needs a place in the cage permanently to lay eggs in case she needs to. Are you prepared to incubate eggs? Look after the hatchlings? Etc?

You're also feeding the female enough to produce a larger clutch than would be good for her and the basking temperatures are way too high too.

There are other things that need to be addressed imho as well.

I Have 2 Panther Chameleons, 1 male , 1 female purchased them approx 2 years ago when they babies, they were housed together in the reptile shop the guy insisted they were to be sold as a pair, he sold me the pair plus all the setup, glass viv ( which I was a bit on the fence about) uv fittings bulbs, on off thermostat, heat lamp and bulb, bark and plants etc. So sorry he misled you. :(
Previously I've kept Boa's, Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Zebra Tarantula, Tortoises so I'm not clueless with reptiles Chameleons are quite different than most other reptiles but I asked him is the glass viv he's selling me correct as the heat lamp would have to go on the inside of the tank which could be dangerous, he said it's fine as the viv's so tall so I said okay. :confused:
I also asked if keeping them together was correct he also said yes. 😠 Not liking this guy.
The total for the whole setup with the pair was £850.84 ( $1123.45 ). 😡 Really don’t like this guy! This is about what it costs to set up for a chameleon, but he didn’t give you the proper set up and gave bad advice.
I've included pics of setup. I’ve no idea what size enclosure that is, Glass is ok to use, but it’s often hard to get glass in a large enough size. The minimum size for each chameleon is a 2x2x4’ or equivalent enclosure. Bare floor is best and most hygenic unless doing a bioactive set up properly. You need lots of branches and vines for them to travel and lots of live plants. Basically you want to recreate a forest edge for them. Provide some shady spots and places for them to hide in.
I Handle my them very little only when they crawl on me whilst cleaning they're droppings, mess etc, I hand feed them once maybe twice a day 2 - 3 extra large locusts ( batch lightly dusted with calcium powder every other day ). Very good feeding amount. Locusts are a good staple feeder, but they like and should have variety. Then you need to feed your feeders well to ensure they are more nutritious. Attaching graphics. Are you only using a calcium for supplement? Does it contain D3? While there are as many supplement regimens as there are supplements, the standard is to use a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding (except when using a different supplement). One feeding every other week you’ll use a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, alternating them each week. Not all multivitamins are created equal. I prefer those with preformed vitamin A for good eye health, like Reptivite or Repashy. Arcadia has a trio of supplements that are good to use.
I have a mister with 2 sprayers one at each end that sprays for 15 seconds every 2 hours. You’ll want to change this to 2-3 mistings of at least 2 minutes each time. Usually right before lights go on/off are great times to mist and one at mid day if you like.
Basking spot is around 96FH ( 36 Celsius). Much too hot. Your female should be kept at around 80F and your male around 85F.
All lights and heating set on a timer to come on at 7am and go off at 7pm. Perfect. What are you using for uvb? It looks to be a T5, but I can’t be sure. The uvb strength should be ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. Then you’ll want the basking area to be about 8-9” below the light. All lights should be outside and on top of the screen to prevent burns and overexposure. I know the plastic frame of the current enclosure will melt from the heat of the basking bulb. You might need to see if a nano fixture will fit in between the frame or suspend the light a few inches above it.
What are your humidity levels? It’s important to monitor these. Ideal during the day is between 50-70%. I keep mine around 50%. Live plants will help maintain humidity.

Then the heat is just at room temperature until 7am next morning as its reasonably warm in my flat. Having a significant temp drop at night is best, but sometimes not always possible.
Viv is exo terra tall one 3ft tall by 3ft width. So, this size would be good for one. What it lacks in height, the extra width compensates.
Heat lamp is on the inside of the viv on the left side as the top lid of the viv has a plastic rim all the way through the middle.
All equipment bulbs/ lamps etc are exo terra ( not cheap ). No reptile supplies ever are.
Thermostat is Habistat on/off.
No live plants, located in the UK. While panthers don’t eat plants like veileds do, it is much better to give them safe live plants too. Pothos is a staple for chams. Some plants may need special grow lights. I attach my fake plants to the outside door on my enclosures to provide extra privacy.
Not sure what the wart is on my females eye lid. Their eyes are so important, so I’d definitely take her to a good vet.
Thanks any advice would be great.
You’ll be wanting to give your girl a permanent lay bin in her enclosure. A plastic bin which is at least 12” long and wide filled to 5-6” deep with washed play sand or a play sand/organic soil mix is perfect. It’ll need to be kept moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. If you use some organic soil, you could put a plant in it…they like to lay against plant root balls. Once she starts digging, she needs total privacy until her task is completed…all her holes filled in and she’s returned to her basking branch. Usually can take a couple of days.
0A19D09F-2E03-42EC-A99C-C846D81AFCF3.jpeg
4EBB51E2-9D7D-45B2-9BD3-3BC26DF6ED87.jpeg
BE8BCCFA-9F32-48C6-9B0B-36758BDF9E92.jpeg

Hi, thanks for your advice, I'll go get some extra plants / sticks etc today, the heatlamp is an issue though as the roof of the viv is wire mesh but it has a plastic rim through the middle and the lamp won't fit between the gaps, thanks again

Hi, thanks for your advice, I'll go get some extra plants / sticks etc today, the heatlamp is an issue though as the roof of the viv is wire mesh but it has a plastic rim through the middle and the lamp won't fit between the gaps, thanks again
The reflector itself wont be too hot, that it melds the plastic. I´m also having reflector resting on plastic and nothing happens. Once it´s on top, it will give you lots of space for branches (horizontal as well vertical) and plants.

I'm totally shocked that you haven't had health issues with one of them because they are both in the same cage.
Same here.

@Deano79 just out of curiosity, in all picture I see the female near to the floor and the male on the branch, is this the regular situation? Or do they sit together on a branch?
Because the situation you´re seeing is exactly the reason why chameleons shouldn´t be kept together. The male is suppressing the female, he has the best position in the enclosure which is extreme stressful to her. This could be the reason of her eye issue, see it as with humans. Humans suffering severe stress get unexplainable symptoms, which in the end can be related the stress their body is suffering. Stress = Killing!

And she looks receptive in the pictures and needs to be laying eggs soon, which she can´t at the moment in this actual situation. It surprises me it didn´t happen before in the 2 years time.

I´m really sorry they gave you bad advice in regards to husbandry, it happens too much, they only care about earning money.
However, you went now past the fact you can blame the vendor for giving bad issue and it´s time to take in own hands, If you really care for these 2 precious babies, please listen to the advise member (@MissSkittles @Ares05 @kinyonga) are giving you, and please separate them.

Last edited:
The reflector itself wont be too hot, that it melds the plastic. I´m also having reflector resting on plastic and nothing happens. Once it´s on top, it will give you lots of space for branches (horizontal as well vertical) and plants.

Same here.

@Deano79 just out of curiosity, in all picture I see the female near to the floor and the male on the branch, is this the regular situation? Or do they sit together on a branch?
Because the situation you´re seeing is exactly the reason why chameleons shouldn´t be kept together. The male is suppressing the female, he has the best position in the enclosure which is extreme stressful to her. This could be the reason of her eye issue, see it as with humans. Humans suffering severe stress get unexplainable symptoms, which in the end can be related the stress their body is suffering. Stress = Killing!

And she looks receptive in the pictures and needs to be laying eggs soon, which she can´t at the moment in this actual situation. It surprises me it didn´t happen before in the 2 years time.

I´m really sorry they gave you bad advice in regards to husbandry, it happens too much, they only care about earning money.
However, you went now past the fact you can blame the vendor for giving bad issue and it´s time to take in own hands, If you really care for these 2 precious babies, please listen to the advise member (@MissSkittles @Ares05 @kinyonga) are giving you, and please separate them.
Hi, thanks for your concern and advice, I tried placing the heatlamp on top of the viv in the outside and due to the thermostat sensor being on the inside the plastic rims started smouldering and was smelling burnt here's a pic of lid from top view, could the lump be Papilloma virus? I'll look into another tank for Pastol and keep Rango in his current tank, thanks

Attachments

• 20220322_093719.jpg
    20220322_093719.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom