White scab looking thing on my chams back

richpass6

hey everyone, i have noticed my chameleon has a white hard scabby spot on his back (closer to the top spurs). i noticed it after a shed and it has not gone away since. i don't have a picture but i will get one soon.. any ideas??

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Panther , male, 1 year and 8 months
Handling -not much lately but no that its warm enough i handle him to take him outside.
Feeding - I feed my cham large crickets. He eats 8-10 every other day. ive been gut-loading with cricket crack and also giving the crix a water source
Supplements - i dust with miner-allO every feeding, i give my cham a dusting of rep-cal w/ d3 once to twice a month (in summer its like once a month but barley) i also have the rep-cal multivit and i dust once a month
Watering - i have a really nice pro-products mister. timer is set to mist 3-4 times a day. 2 minute misting sessions each time it goes on. i also have a make shift drip that i fill up a couple times a day.
Fecal Description - normal
History - I've had no problems, went for a checkup (no bloodwrok) and the doctor said he looks healthy and seems healthy.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - its a custom cage i built2X2X4)
Lighting - i follow a 12 hour cycle... lights on 7am lights off at 7:30 (half hour extra because last mist is at 7pm) i use a 100W soft glow bulb. reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb
Temperature - The normal temperature is between 70-74 degrees. the lower part of the cage is a little cooler and the basking spot is between 85-92 degrees. I have two probes..one where he basks which reads 88-95 rand the one at the middle of thew cage reads 72
Humidity - It's usually between 40-50% has gone up since winter is over
Plants - i have a hibiscus which is temporary at the middle of the cage, a fake umbrella plant that occupies the whole cage and pothos creeping up form the bottom.
Placement - In my room, it's in a quiet corner, my room rarely gets major traffic except my dog laying on my bed but other than that he is never bothered.
Location - new york (right outside of the city)

IMG_20110430_213019.jpg
IMG_20110430_212944.jpg

pics are a little fuzzy. i honestly have no idea. does your cage dry between water sessions? i hope it is not the start of fungus.

sorry i dont have a answer for you..

it doesn't look like a growth of any fungus. it feels like a scab would or a dry piece of skin. if you look closely at the area, you can see whatever it is has a webbed pattern to it, idk. it sucks cause i really dont have the cash for another vet visit. possibly a mite??

Last edited:
heres the only bit of advice i can give. it may or may not help the situation.make sure the cage is drying out between sessions, make sure you have the right temps basking and ambient, you could dab the site with a little provodone iodine diluted with water to a mild tea solution with a cotton swab after it dries put a little antifungal cream on it or polysporin if you think it is not fungus.

again i truely have no idea what your chameleon has and my advice isnt going to hurt your cham in anyway but also may not improve the condition.

ive only personally seen that webbing at the base in a fugus case one of my melleri got. the site was yellow though not white.

It doesn't appear to be anything serious but keep any eye on it. If your cham displays any sign of discomfort I would take him to the vet.

heres the only bit of advice i can give. it may or may not help the situation.make sure the cage is drying out between sessions, make sure you have the right temps basking and ambient, you could dab the site with a little provodone iodine diluted with water to a mild tea solution with a cotton swab after it dries put a little antifungal cream on it or polysporin if you think it is not fungus.

again i truely have no idea what your chameleon has and my advice isnt going to hurt your cham in anyway but also may not improve the condition.

ive only personally seen that webbing at the base in a fugus case one of my melleri got. the site was yellow though not white.

when you say to a mild tea solution are you describing the concentration of provodone iodine in water? like, it should look like tea??

ok sweet i am gunna give that a try. whar kind of anti fungal cream is good? and would the iodine stain his skin??

no it will not stain his skin. Canesten Clotrimazole is a good anti fungal cream. clean the site twice daily with the solution if your able to.

if it does not improve or get worst.. i would discontinue my advice and take him to a vet.

Just out of, curiousity, has your cham recently shed? it could be left over skin that just hasnt come off. Not saying that what others have said is wrong... just wondering.

his cham did recently shed and it could very well be retained shed. imo from the pics this spot does not look like thats the case. this looks like some sort of growth.

im going to try and get better pictures. i have noticed his eye will close. he also went to sleep verryyy early yesterday. im probably going to have to take him to the vet.

Just out of, curiousity, has your cham recently shed? it could be left over skin that just hasnt come off. Not saying that what others have said is wrong... just wondering.

That’s what happened to Mrs. Nosey (female veiled) Just left over skin that hasn’t come off yet! Glad I read your post I was going to ask the same question;)

Back
Top Bottom