White ring around pupil

Misslazerstar

I recently upgraded Merlin to a halogen bulb for his heating lamp after having his basking bulb explode on me. Since I made the change I've been trying to keep a close eye to make sure the rats aren't too intense for his eyes. His behavior seems normal, he's been eating more and he seems to explore more than before. My concern is that he now has a ring of white around his pupils that I don't recall being there before. I've read that this can be an early sign of blindness and I want to correct this right away if so. Merlin is a male veiled.

He absolutely despises being handled so this the best I can get, that was as he was waking up this morning, so excuse the squintiness.

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_210451841.jpg
    IMG_20180217_210451841.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 134
Your lighting might be too bright because it looks like his pupil has shrunk. Just like how our pupils shrink in bright conditions. Dimming your lighting would be the best thing to do. If you are unsure take him to a vet.

Your lighting might be too bright because it looks like his pupil has shrunk. Just like how our pupils shrink in bright conditions. Dimming your lighting would be the best thing to do. If you are unsure take him to a vet.
This makes sense to me, it hurts my eyes a little honestly but Im very sensitive to lighting. What would be the best course of action? Dimming the bulbs would decrease temperature output correct? I had to add a second regular household bulb to increase the temps to acceptable levels which obviously isn't helping the brightness issue. Would a bigger dome increase heat output while allowing me to decrease light output? I struggle to keep the temps above 85 in his basking area.

How far away is your light from the basking spot? And what is the ambient temperature in the room?

How far away is your light from the basking spot? And what is the ambient temperature in the room?
The ambient temperature is between 65-70. The room he's in has terrible insulation but he was too stressed with the traffic in living room and the cat staring at him. The basking spot is about 6-8 inches from the bulbs, depending on my plants growth that week .

I think the halogen bulbs may be to bright. Also,are you using them as a heat source? If so i would just use a 75w incandecent bulb. It gives of a good amount of heat and i dont think its too bright compared to the halogen. Your t8 uvb is ok though.

The chameleon just woke up, that might be the reason. One solution for brightness is to provide more foliage, or simply get a new bulb. OP, we are going to need some more pictures, please.

That's the best I can do for now. I'd prefer not to mess with him too much more for the day since he clearly is not happy lol. I was actually slightly concerned he might have too much foliage and it might be blocking the uvb since he does hang out in the second layer of plants usually.

Attachments

• IMG_20180220_145118309.jpg
    IMG_20180220_145118309.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20180220_145232377.jpg
    IMG_20180220_145232377.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20180220_145227945.jpg
    IMG_20180220_145227945.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20180220_145248889.jpg
    IMG_20180220_145248889.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 108
That's the best I can do for now. I'd prefer not to mess with him too much more for the day since he clearly is not happy lol. I was actually slightly concerned he might have too much foliage and it might be blocking the uvb since he does hang out in the second layer of plants usually.
They will regulate the amount of UVB that they need, so that should not be a problem. I don't think that the light is too bright. As for the white ring, I am unsure what is going on that is very concerning, you would have to ask @kinyonga, she has more experience than I do. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has a great thread that he probably would love to share with you! (*hint, hint*)

While we're at it, the she'd on his side has been there for two days now. His urates are completely white so I don't think he's dehydrated but the majority of the shed was done in hours, and that has remained. Should I be concerned?

They will regulate the amount of UVB that they need, so that should not be a problem. I don't think that the light is too bright. As for the white ring, I am unsure what is going on that is very concerning, you would have to ask @kinyonga, she has more experience than I do. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has a great thread that he probably would love to share with you! (*hint, hint*)
Okay so then the white ring is a little strange right? I'll schedule him an appointment with the vet but anything I should be concerned about or change in the mean time? I'm taking a look at this post but there's so much information I feel like half of it is going over my head lol

Okay so then the white ring is a little strange right? I'll schedule him an appointment with the vet but anything I should be concerned about or change in the mean time?
I don't really understand the concerning part, what was the iris color previously? But then again, I don't have personal experience to what you are referring to, so that is why I tagged @kinyonga.

I don't really understand the concerning part, what was the iris color previously? But then again, I don't have personal experience to what you are referring to, so that is why I tagged @kinyonga.
The white circle just looks a lot larger and more noticable to me than it was before the bulb change. I tend to take in rescues who are very fragile so maybe I'm just a little overly concerned for him.

Back
Top Bottom