White puffy skin on crest?

mr_jamaica69

My veiled cham recently developed a blister like bubble on his crest, im not sure if maybe he got it from rubbing on the top screen but its starting to worry me.. if anyone knows whats going on with oscar it would be greatly apriciated !!!
here is a pic of what i can see

That could be due to rubbing on the cage sides/top. Does he do that often? From my experience, that may be a sign that he is not happy with his enclosure.

It could also possibly be from a burn or other uv damage, but I don't have enough experience with these symptoms to know for sure. Hopefully some other members will post their opinion.

You may want to post some related info on your setup.

Thanks brad... i have a exoterra terraium... 60x45x45 glassed in with a steel mesh top.. i recently got a new plant about 6ft tall and he loves it... and when i come in the room he just jumps at the door and wants out... he comes out alot, does this kind of thing happen to lack of a UV bulb?

Looks like hes shedding, which would be what the "bubbly" part is.
However in the second photo you can see what looks to be torn scales from the veil rubbing in the top.

Due time for a larger cage than what you have, since I beleive you are speaking in centimetres.

thx well its not shedding, this is actully like a bubble and its been like this for at least a week and a half now. I have moved his branch down a bit so it cant reach the roof, unless he climbs up the wall~
what are some good dimentions i should look for in a new cage?

Last edited:
mr_jamaica69 said:
what are some good dimentions i should look for in a new cage?

For a male veiled at least 2'X2'x4' for an adult enclosure. The more room the better. I would build the largest cage practically possible.

all glass?

mr_jamaica69 said:
i have a exoterra terraium... 60x45x45 glassed in with a steel mesh top..

so are you talking inches or cm? If cm then, yes he does need a larger cage. You said it is all glass with a mesh top - not a good thing. He may be seeing his reflection in the glass and thinking it is another cham - another reason why he so desperately wants to come out all the time.

Do you have a UVB light for him? If so, what brand? if not, you need to. What is his feeding, dusting regimen and what do you gutload your feeders with? These questions do not necessarily pertain to this casque/bubble concern, but always good to review. How old is he?

lele said:
so are you talking inches or cm? If cm then, yes he does need a larger cage. You said it is all glass with a mesh top - not a good thing. He may be seeing his reflection in the glass and thinking it is another cham - another reason why he so desperately wants to come out all the time.

Do you have a UVB light for him? If so, what brand? if not, you need to. What is his feeding, dusting regimen and what do you gutload your feeders with? These questions do not necessarily pertain to this casque/bubble concern, but always good to review. How old is he?

yes i do have a repitisun bulb, he eats crickets, occationally i get some super worms for him... and eats about 6-8 crickets a day... the crickets are fed the water gelly and fish food.. anyone know a good site to get cheap large mesh enclosers?

the crickets are fed the water gelly and fish food.. anyone know a good site to get cheap large mesh enclosers?
The fish food may cause problems over time. I highly recommend using a gutload more appropriate for chameleons. How is your chameleon's casque looking? Is it improving or getting worse?

From the pics, you cham looks like he was rubbing the top of the cage, as others have described. But it also looks like a blister on top of his casque from the light bulb. Do you keep it on top of the cage? Definately too close and too small of a cage. I do not have experience with burns, but I 'd say go to your vet. They may lance it or not and provide some ointment... I haven't the foggest. But you should get some vet advice incase it gets worse or becomes another ailment.

Good luck

i always move my babies into a screen cage as soon as they can eat 1/4 inch crickets...they need the fresh air. I would put them in right away except 1/8 inch or 10 day old crickets tend to escape through the screen.

Back
Top Bottom