White powder around one nostril?

dandes

My cham has in the last week started to display some white residue powder like stuff around one of his nostrils. Its not a large amount but noticable and i have learnt this comes from oversupplimentation. Since it appeared i have stopped dusting his food before i give it to him to see if this solves the problem but it just seems to stay.

Another reason i may have stumbled apon is that the water hardness levels in my area is very bad and is supplied buy a chalk spring that is quite high in calcium deposits. Would the water be giving him too much in the way of minerals/calcium thus contributing to the over supplimentation problem??

I was considering trying him on just bottled mineral water instead of ap for a while to see if this helps but i wanted to see if i could get some input from you guys :)

if you pulled back on the supplementation,and thats not just shed or crust residue on his nostril, then yeah, i would try distilled water for a bit to see if that helps. what type of supplements are you using, how often etc...

if you pulled back on the supplementation,and thats not just shed or crust residue on his nostril, then yeah, i would try distilled water for a bit to see if that helps. what type of supplements are you using, how often etc...

I've been using a product called Nutrobal and its a calcium and multivitamin sup.
http://www.petsparade.co.uk/reptiles/supplements-cricket-foods/?p=1790

I normally put one pinch in with the crickets and locusts when gut loading them and a small pinch to dust them before feeding him.

Actually that white substance is not a product of over supplemention but of body removing waste. Chameleons, specifically veileds, use this as a way remove waste during times when water is not available or during the dry season in their native habitats. It conserves the bodies water content without the loss associated with producing a urate. Young chams usually go thorugh times when they produce this by-product but one should make sure that they have access to a water source specifically a dripper or misting system.:)

Hi,thanks for that :)
He does always have access to water now as i have a dripper going for most of the day on a 1 drip a second speed running down the leaves into a flowerpot. He also gets a good spraying 3 times a day for a good 4-5 minutes but if im honest i only ever see him drinking when i spray him and he licks it from his face, i've only seen him drink from a dripper once or twice in 3 weeks..

Back
Top Bottom