White patch?

F r a n k

Hello,

My 11 week old male Yemen is showing this pale patch on his back(toward his tail), which appeared within the last few hours. I’m worried he’s getting too much UVB. This is my first chameleon.

He’s currently perched 5.5inches from his 12% UVB Arcadia T5 which sits on top of the mesh. Should I be worried?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3AACF2D0-0D10-41B8-81BC-FC53E431523D.jpeg
    3AACF2D0-0D10-41B8-81BC-FC53E431523D.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
He also has this bump in his throat. Has he got some food stuck or am I just worrying?

Attachments

• D6921B77-8BFB-483C-A14A-4C9C2B0902CC.jpeg
    D6921B77-8BFB-483C-A14A-4C9C2B0902CC.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 103
Welcome to the forums! To answer your questions, he is getting ready to shed soon and by "bump" do you mean the the triangle shape below his throat? That is called a gular crest and will expand and contract based on your chameleon's level of defensiveness and ability to absorb heat. If that's not want you meant, please clarify.

1592768332870.png

It would also be a good idea to have your husbandry reviewed to make sure everything is good to go :) Please fill out these questions and post pics of your enclosure top to bottom:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

And here is a video all about chameleon's shedding:

Welcome to the forums! To answer your questions, he is getting ready to shed soon and by "bump" do you mean the the triangle shape below his throat? That is called a gular crest and will expand and contract based on your chameleon's level of defensiveness and ability to absorb heat. If that's not want you meant, please clarify.

I know about his gular crest but there was a bump or sort of pointy bit to it? Looking at other photos it actually seems normal. Panic over!

He successfully shed for the first time a few days ago :) It looks as though the patch/discolouration has gone, but I will keep an eye on it.

He has the spurs on his back feet so definitely male. Thanks for the video!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Frank, Male Yemen, 11 weeks old at date of posting, new to me and my first chameleon.
  • Handling - Max once a day, he's quite comfortable, stays around heat lamp and is happy to explore. Quite reserved.
  • Feeding - 15 x 1cm dusted crickets a day, varying by free range and from feeding bowl. Trying mealworms but he doesn't eat them. Gutloading with apple, carrot and a ready made mix of things like bee pollen, alfalfa etc.
  • Supplements - ProRep powders mostly. Calcium daily, d3 or multivitamin 1 day a week (alternating).
  • Watering - Dripper from top of enclosure. Humidity sits around 40-55%, then I mist for 2 minutes at night (peaks at 70%). - I'm struggling to get the humidity lower in the day and really high at night.
  • Fecal Description - Unsure if he's been tested for parasites, but his poops are normal, urate sometimes not totally white.
  • History - Came from a reptile shop. Glass enclosure quite small with a water bowl and lots of substrate...

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 4ft x 2ft x 2ft ReptiBreeze XL.
  • Lighting - 12 hours on 12 off (22 inch 24W D3 12% UVB/30% UVA) + plant LED (both Arcadia).
  • Temperature - 2x thermometers and 80W heat lamp on thermostat. Basking spot 27ºC. Rest of enclosure temp around 20ºC. Minimum overnight 17ºC.
  • Humidity - Humidity gauge and lots of live plants keeping humidity up.
  • Plants - A large range that I have checked for toxicity.
  • Placement - Enclosure is 2ft from ground, in corner of room. Indirect sunlight, close to hallway with moderate traffic. No air vents or air conditioning.
  • Location - South West, UK

Frank decided to quickly hide for this photo but he’s at the top of the bendable vine. His back is about 6inches from the UVB.

Attachments

• AB295757-ABB8-4C78-8BF2-38F3BE9E948F.jpeg
    AB295757-ABB8-4C78-8BF2-38F3BE9E948F.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 98
It is this - Arcadia T5.

He's resting under it now, but seems sleepy? I think he's closed his eyes a couple of times which I believe isn't good. Shall I move the UVB higher?
Ok so yeah he is getting over exposed to high UVB levels. With a 12% in a single bulb fixture you need a distance of 11-12 inches between fixture and basking branch. If you go down to a 6% it would be better because you only need a 8-9 inch distance between fixture and basking branch. Just based on what your telling me I am guessing he is getting a UVI level of a 7 or so where he is. Which is above safe levels. This link may help you. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

You want to either raise the fixture or lower the basking branch. I would order the 6% bulb. A 12% should rarely ever be used.

I know about his gular crest but there was a bump or sort of pointy bit to it? Looking at other photos it actually seems normal. Panic over!

He successfully shed for the first time a few days ago :) It looks as though the patch/discolouration has gone, but I will keep an eye on it.

He has the spurs on his back feet so definitely male. Thanks for the video!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Frank, Male Yemen, 11 weeks old at date of posting, new to me and my first chameleon.
  • Handling - Max once a day, he's quite comfortable, stays around heat lamp and is happy to explore. Quite reserved.
  • Feeding - 15 x 1cm dusted crickets a day, varying by free range and from feeding bowl. Trying mealworms but he doesn't eat them. Gutloading with apple, carrot and a ready made mix of things like bee pollen, alfalfa etc.
  • Supplements - ProRep powders mostly. Calcium daily, d3 or multivitamin 1 day a week (alternating).
  • Watering - Dripper from top of enclosure. Humidity sits around 40-55%, then I mist for 2 minutes at night (peaks at 70%). - I'm struggling to get the humidity lower in the day and really high at night.
  • Fecal Description - Unsure if he's been tested for parasites, but his poops are normal, urate sometimes not totally white.
  • History - Came from a reptile shop. Glass enclosure quite small with a water bowl and lots of substrate...

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 4ft x 2ft x 2ft ReptiBreeze XL.
  • Lighting - 12 hours on 12 off (22 inch 24W D3 12% UVB/30% UVA) + plant LED (both Arcadia).
  • Temperature - 2x thermometers and 80W heat lamp on thermostat. Basking spot 27ºC. Rest of enclosure temp around 20ºC. Minimum overnight 17ºC.
  • Humidity - Humidity gauge and lots of live plants keeping humidity up.
  • Plants - A large range that I have checked for toxicity.
  • Placement - Enclosure is 2ft from ground, in corner of room. Indirect sunlight, close to hallway with moderate traffic. No air vents or air conditioning.
  • Location - South West, UK
So everything in your form looks to be right on point with the exception of the UVB level he is getting. How are you testing your basking temp to know that it is only 27C? At 11 weeks him being too warm can be an issue. are you using a probe at the basking branch to know exact numbers? Humidity level is not that bad. Are you only misting at night?

I see, I can't really afford to buy another bulb now but I will raise it 6 inches or more.

I have the HabiStat pulse thermostat, with the temperature sensor attached he the uppermost branch. I can tell it's at 27C because when it turns on it heats to that temp and starts pulsing on and off. I also have a digital thermoter slightly lower down that measures around 24C with the heat lamp on.

Do you think this isn't accurate enough?

Is there anything I should do to reduce any damage already done?

Thanks for your help

I see, I can't really afford to buy another bulb now but I will raise it 6 inches or more.

I have the HabiStat pulse thermostat, with the temperature sensor attached he the uppermost branch. I can tell it's at 27C because when it turns on it heats to that temp and starts pulsing on and off. I also have a digital thermoter slightly lower down that measures around 24C with the heat lamp on.

Do you think this isn't accurate enough?

Is there anything I should do to reduce any damage already done?

Thanks for your help
Do you have the habistat set on dimming or does it only have the pulse setting? The pulse ones are not really made for controlling a light producing heat source. They are used for heat mats and ceramic heat bulbs.

If you can not afford another bulb that is fine just raise it 6 inches. Then you have your 6 inches to the branch and that will give an approximate UVI of 3 for him.

To my knowledge there is not a ton of info out there on over exposure since this is a rare thing. I think you are probably good since he has not been under it for a long period of time though.

If it was the UVB then he should start to perk up within the next day or so after raising it. :)

Do you have the habistat set on dimming or does it only have the pulse setting? The pulse ones are not really made for controlling a light producing heat source. They are used for heat mats and ceramic heat bulbs.

If you can not afford another bulb that is fine just raise it 6 inches. Then you have your 6 inches to the branch and that will give an approximate UVI of 3 for him.

To my knowledge there is not a ton of info out there on over exposure since this is a rare thing. I think you are probably good since he has not been under it for a long period of time though.

If it was the UVB then he should start to perk up within the next day or so after raising it. :)

It only pulses. I see! Well the heat lamp I have is not light-producing, its an 80W Arcadia Deep Heat lamp. I have just read that it should be used with a dimming thermostat, so I might have got my setup wrong.

Hopefully he perks up soon.

It only pulses. I see! Well the heat lamp I have is not light-producing, its an 80W Arcadia Deep Heat lamp. I have just read that it should be used with a dimming thermostat, so I might have got my setup wrong.

Hopefully he perks up soon.
Gotcha yeah I only use light producing and do not know much about the deep heat lamps by arcadia.

He should perk up soon once you raise the fixture. It is just an intense UVI level for a cham much less a little baby. :)

Back
Top Bottom