White Lined Sphinx / Striped Morning Sphinx

armando

I ggot a whole bunch of these things... Do you guys know if they are safe for my cham? I will quarentine them before using them(if they are safe)

I would try to breed them if I were you and get some hornworms to feed off. I would think the moths would be safe but I will let someone else chime in who has fed them off before. They are really big moths though. What species of chameleon do you plan to feed them to?

They are Hyles lineata right? They can be safe to feed off depending on what they feed on. As long as they haven't been eating a toxic plant, they should be okay to feed off in the worm/moth stage. There are some artificial diets that have been created for this specific species, but since it is a generalist, I would think that you could raise them on hornworm chow (though I am not positive, but I think you have a good chance of being able to do so.) I have fed some of these off before. Where are you located? The host plants might be different depending on where you are. Around here, they will eat the leaves from willow, apple, tomato plants, evening primrose, grape and some others. If you dont want to try/can't get hornworm food, I would try grape leaves if you can. They are good to add to a gutload, so the worms will already be gutloaded for you!

just for the record...

White lined sphinx are safe to feed..
At least, my cham has been eating them for about 2 weeks now, and he loves them!
(there seems to be a plague where I live, and I have been catching them and I dont feed them until Im really sure they are safe and clean from pesticides)
Dante loves them! :)

Funny I should see this post. On drive into work yesterday, I saw them flying around every so often. I think the mini heat wave in SoCal has them out and about. I have lots of tomato plants growing now, so I hope I get some visits from these moths.

Back
Top Bottom