White flys in hibiscus

Chameleonmaster

Avid Member
I have a hibiscus plant in my cage and I have these little white fly everywhere and I went to the green house . They said meed oil they sell in a bottle you hook to the hose will get rid of them. I was wondering if it's safe for chameleons?
I think they sell it at home depot too.

Vinegar Hott water ratio 1:4 take your Plant out spray down fiercely and let set for 5 min then wash vigorously and then that should take care of your Problem

We just recently finished dealing with a massive whitefly infestation in our retail greenhouse. While our methods of harsh chemical control are obviously not possible within the confines of our animal enclosures, whitefly should not be too prolific in a lightly furnished cham cage. These flies should not bother the animals themselves.

Sterlings suggestions seems sound and is worth doing. You might combined this method with yellow sticky traps used OUTSIDE the cage, and wiping the undersides of the leaves with baby wipes. With that said, I thing Sterling's spray advise should take care of your problem by itself, perhaps outside of a few stray flies hiding out around your room and the enclosure.

Of course use caution in using sticky traps, as escaped animals can result in a terrible outcome. The benefit is the flies are often attracted to yellow, as most sticky traps will be colored so.

Let us know how this issue progresses. It was an absolute nightmare dealing with them in a large retail greenhouse, as I can attest!

What did the plant look like before the flies hatched? I also have a hibiscus and it was covered with tiny, tiny, little white and green maggot looking things, but the size of a pin head. They infested the underside of the leaves as well as budding flowers. Is that what you have as well? I haven't seen any flies, but my hibiscus is on my back lanai so they could have hatched and flown out the screen. I just used bleach water (my chams don't go on this plant), and rinsed it with straight water, but I did that yesterday so I don't know how successful it was. If that is what you have, or anyone knows what it is, will those bugs infest other types of plants or are they strictly a 1 plant type of insect? Don't mean to hijack the thread - just wondered if we were dealing with the same thing :D

They are attracted to inside plants and green houses they lay there eggs on the bottom of the leaves and when I tried wiping them down the eggs hatched an started flying everywhere.

I had white fly on my ficus tree's and papyrus plants but used a product a year ago that goes directly at plant base, it pours in thus no animal can come in contact with it made from earthworm waste and it works 100% .

No more white fly, the plant absorbs this and becomes white fly immune. It is made by Bayer.

I have been white fly free for a year and we have white fly in the area.

http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/bayertreeshrubinfo.html

It is fantastic no odor and safe.

Back
Top Bottom