White "fluff" on face

ChelseaMJ

We're first time owners. Millie is a veiled and over 1 year. Today I noticed this white substance on both sides of her face. She's acting like she's about to shed but I've never seen her do this?
Edit to add we've seen her shed we've never seen this on her face
20190331_124050.jpg

Yep! Start of a shed! Make sure she has adequate humidity. My Clarice started a shed today, so she gets a few additional warm mists today. She actually seems to appreciate the warm mist when she sheds (as oppposed to running for cover any other time).

Yep! Start of a shed! Make sure she has adequate humidity. My Clarice started a shed today, so she gets a few additional warm mists today. She actually seems to appreciate the warm mist when she sheds (as oppposed to running for cover any other time).

Is it normal for the skin to look crystallized and raised before a shed? She usually just looks ashy and then starts peeling. Thank you for your help too!

Is it normal for the skin to look crystallized and raised before a shed? She usually just looks ashy and then starts peeling. Thank you for your help too!

Now that you mention it, it looks like maybe mineral buildup around her nostrils... I think that is somewhat common and may mean you need to dust a little lighter... but the top of her casque looks like shed to me

So it sounds like we're dusting her crickets too often? We can definitely fix that! Thank you! I agree that she looks like she is going to shed soon!

So it sounds like we're dusting her crickets too often? We can definitely fix that! Thank you! I agree that she looks like she is going to shed soon!
Crickets should always be dusted. It's not calcium dust. It's excess salt. Some reptiles are known to do this. My Veiled will do the same every once and awhile.

Hmm we calcium dust her crickets at night but but not in the morning. I guess it's back to the learning room! Thank you!

Yea don’t quote me but I believe its mineral buildup. Doesnt mean dust less often but if your crickets are snow white colored maybe a little lighter on the dusting (like a gentle shake vs shake-n-bake crickets).

Pretty sure that’s just your Chan getting rid of excess salts and other minerals. Like you said, you should probably dust more lightly. Also, you mention feeding at night. Most people contend that feeding after about 3pm is less than ideal: chams need warm time to digest the food. You might consider just feeding in the morning as your Cham is not a baby anymore.

Pretty sure that’s just your Chan getting rid of excess salts and other minerals. Like you said, you should probably dust more lightly. Also, you mention feeding at night. Most people contend that feeding after about 3pm is less than ideal: chams need warm time to digest the food. You might consider just feeding in the morning as your Cham is not a baby anymore.

Yeah apparently I need to revamp her entire feeding schedule. I'm reading and it sounds like I'm over feeding and over dusting. -sigh-

Yeah, it seems like there is new, often conflicting, husbandry advise everyday. That being said, we learn from mistakes far more than successes. Also, I should point out that it’s not at all clear that wild chams somehow know not to tag bugs after 3 pm. As opportunists, my guess is that most chams will tag whatever they can as long as light permits. Anyways, you have a beautiful Cham!

Yeah, it seems like there is new, often conflicting, husbandry advise everyday. That being said, we learn from mistakes far more than successes. Also, I should point out that it’s not at all clear that wild chams somehow know not to tag bugs after 3 pm. As opportunists, my guess is that most chams will tag whatever they can as long as light permits. Anyways, you have a beautiful Cham!

Thank you! I love her even though she refuses to be touched. Can't even get close to her. But she's been a wonderful addition to our lives just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for her!

With that attitude, I’m sure that your mistakes will be small; your successes, big; your Cham, happy and healthy. Also, all my chams hate my guts, barely tolerate my hand in their space to feed them and would relish the opportunity to bite me. Bearded dragons, leopard geckos and their ilk are like beautiful cars or fine cuisine: they’re made to be interacted with. Chams are like fine works of art: look don’t touch is the usual.

You are going to want to dust feeders right before you feed them lightly. If you dust them the night before then this gives them time to get the dusting off.
Making sure that you are doing calcium without D3 at nearly every feeding and Calcium with D3 2 times a month, a multivitamin 2 times per month.
Another thing is if you are using Tap water there may be too much of this or that in the water that your city is adding in and she is processing it out via her nostrils. You can try distilled water or RO water.

Filtered water, whether its RO or distilled, will get rid the crusting by the nostrils. Follow what Bemen suggested for supplement scheduling and dusting.

As far as feeding, I suggest only feeding during the first half of the day. They need time to bask in order to proper digest so feeding a night not long before lights out can cause issues later down the road if it is continued.

Back
Top Bottom