White as a ghost

Jelloman

I tried to pick up my veiled today and he turned white as a ghost with pale yellow and greeens. Is this a typical stress reaction?? I have only handled three times in as many months.

He is generally very fearful of me but will accept a couple of superworms from the tongs before scrambling away.

My intention was to put him on a plant and carry him out to teh sun.

Turning lighter or darker colors while being handled is definitely a sign of stress. If he typically runs away from you, I would wait a long time before trying to handle him again.

You should probably get him more used to you so he isn't afraid before handling him :)

Hello :) I'm new here, but it think I might be able to give you a few tips :) I'm not sure what the light ghost like colors would be from but, it is probably stressful for it to be handled because it's not used to it and doesn't know what to expect with this. Try associating your hand with positive things like food, misting, or taking it outside to get some sun(my chameleon doesn't like going outside much :(). Another thing that might help would be to have a daily schedule/routine so it has an idea of what to expect everyday. I hope this might help a little bit, and hopefully a more experienced member will give you some info :). Good luck!

He's probably scared. Try associating your hand with food. Anytime you take him out, give him something that he likes. For example, when we first got my panther, he was very shy. I wanted a cham that we could hold. We started off very slowly by hand feeding him. It took a lot of time and patience, but he started trusting us. Anytime we took him out of the cage, he got to either go on his free range, outside, or in the shower (all 3 things he loves). After a few months of the positive reinforcement, we found that anytime we walked up to the cage, he would climb out on his own. My boyfriend goes to clean the cage and he climbs onto his hat. We were very consistent with him and it paid off :)

I am not sure if there is hope for my Veiled. I have a panther thatseems more inclined to be handled and I am taking it very slow and following the advice about getting tehm used to your hand first. I really want to get them outside or at least transfer them onto a free range but it is a long process I suppose. Thanks for all the advice.

it will take time before he/she gets used to you some will be mellow right from the begining others will take a few weeks or months some dont mellow out at all becareful with the outdoor free range i know alot of people do this with zero problems but if you live in an area that has alot of birds in the area id try to rig up some kind of mesh screen above it , i used to let my panther out onto a large ficus tree on the deck for a few hours or how ever long i would be out in that area i never left him out there unatended i would always be within sight of the tree and one day i noticed the crows taking an interest in what was cruising around in the ficus tree just as i walked up to the tree one came down and buzzed the tree scared me and im sure it scared my panther :mad: needless to say that was the end of that i dont let him out on it anymore unless i can be right there next to the tree

That is shocking. I have hawks all over here in RI, but I would not have considered a crow as a threat. I plan to keep them on a potted plant on my deck up against the house so there shouldn be good cover plus I'll stay right there.

That is shocking. I have hawks all over here in RI, but I would not have considered a crow as a threat. I plan to keep them on a potted plant on my deck up against the house so there shouldn be good cover plus I'll stay right there.

You haven't seen the recent thread a member just made a couple days ago then. I'm not sure of the name but he/she just lost her panther on a free range outside from a bird ;( swooped her right up!

Back
Top Bottom