White “blister” on tip of mouth?

ReneeJ83

Hello. I have a Yemen that just turned one. About 2 months ago I started to notice a small white patch on his chin and the tip of his mouth, which was a bit white. It looks like bad lip fillers. Before we switched to our reptibreeze XL he would climb the ceiling of his viv near the light a lot, so I figured this was just a thermal burn. I applied pure aloe Vera to the area once to twice a day for 6 days and it didn’t seem to go away. It’s looking a bit bigger over the past few weeks as well. Ive researched quite a few things it could be but nothing seems to relate to our problem. He doesn’t have any bumps or discolouration inside his mouth either. I was wondering if anyone else’s cham has gone through this? One thing I have noticed is that it’s getting bigger with each shed..could it be unshed skin? Or is that just a coincidence? He uses Arcadia Calcium (white bag) once every two weeks and Arcadia Multi daily with each feed. We don’t have a mist king but I spray once daily by hand, saturating his plants. He has a bare bottom floor, no substrate. Please see the pics :) Pascal and I thank you in advance!
BE7C26D8-354A-4B2D-B778-F0E1E7868E54.jpeg
16487A13-633A-4699-9C18-553AD6900637.jpeg

Looks like unshed skin but I don’t thinks that’s for concern as much as it looks like it could be a abscess.

Last edited:
Looks like unshed skin but I don’t thinks that’s for concern as much as it looks like it could be a abscess.
I feel like I didn’t word the title properly. It’s not squishy like a blister or abcess. It actually feels a bit hardened. My apologies. The look is that of a blister, but not the feel.

I don’t know what it is but I do know it’s not a thermal burn. It’s not shed skin, see a vet.
I’d love to, but in my area I don’t have a vet that looks at chameleons :( I don’t want to take him to the pet shop I got him from either because they’ve given wrong advice from the getgo.

I’d love to, but in my area I don’t have a vet that looks at chameleons :( I don’t want to take him to the pet shop I got him from either because they’ve given wrong advice from the getgo.
On a side note, if I could find one outside the city, what would be a safe easy way to take him?

My guess would be an abscess or possibly a growth of some sort. Abscesses, especially in reptiles, can be quite firm to the touch! Their pus often solidifies. It's very difficult to tell without a fine needle aspirate... I'd definitely take him to an experienced reptile vet before it becomes a problem (it could damage the jaw, interfere with feeding, etc.). If you give your location, I'm sure someone could recommend a nearby vet!

My guess would be an abscess or possibly a growth of some sort. Abscesses, especially in reptiles, can be quite firm to the touch! Their pus often solidifies. It's very difficult to tell without a fine needle aspirate... I'd definitely take him to an experienced reptile vet before it becomes a problem (it could damage the jaw, interfere with feeding, etc.). If you give your location, I'm sure someone could recommend a nearby vet!
I’m in Scarborough, Ontario Canada. All the vets in my area look at cats and dogs. I may have to travel out of the city to find one, possibly downtown Toronto. I didn’t know that about abscesses. Thanks for that info. I def don’t want anything to happen to him, he’s my baby :( he’s very healthy, eating well and sleeping well otherwise.

The bump on the chin is how my Jackson's infection started out.

I posted this in another thread:

This is by no means a substitute for a vet but you can slow down the infection by using a mixture of Terramycin and Nature Zone Rot Guard for mouth rot. https://www.reptifiles.com/jacksons-chameleon-care/sick-chameleon-health/mouth-rot-stomatitis/

In my case I noticed improvement using this in about a week, and it completely cleared up in about 3 weeks.

During this time, I also increased his vitamin supplementation, gave him way more access to natural UV and kept him on the higher end of his temperature range, all in attempts to boost his immune system response.

The bump on the chin is how my Jackson's infection started out.

I posted this in another thread:

This is by no means a substitute for a vet but you can slow down the infection by using a mixture of Terramycin and Nature Zone Rot Guard for mouth rot. https://www.reptifiles.com/jacksons-chameleon-care/sick-chameleon-health/mouth-rot-stomatitis/

In my case I noticed improvement using this in about a week, and it completely cleared up in about 3 weeks.

During this time, I also increased his vitamin supplementation, gave him way more access to natural UV and kept him on the higher end of his temperature range, all in attempts to boost his immune system response.
Thank you so much, I will try this. I appt

I’m in Scarborough, Ontario Canada. All the vets in my area look at cats and dogs. I may have to travel out of the city to find one, possibly downtown Toronto. I didn’t know that about abscesses. Thanks for that info. I def don’t want anything to happen to him, he’s my baby :( he’s very healthy, eating well and sleeping well otherwise.

This is where I go. In North York so not to far from Scarborough. Your probably closer then I am lol.
https://thelinksroadanimalclinic.com/

This is where I go. In North York so not to far from Scarborough. Your probably closer then I am lol.
https://thelinksroadanimalclinic.com/
Thanks so much! I actually found one close by, Amherst animal clinic in Scarborough, but they only take reptiles on Tuesday and Wednesday so we have an appt for Tuesday :) in the meantime just adjusted his viv, lighting and upped his vitamins and misting. Was hoping to get him out for some sunshine today, but as you can see outside, that’s not happening lol

Thanks so much! I actually found one close by, Amherst animal clinic in Scarborough, but they only take reptiles on Tuesday and Wednesday so we have an appt for Tuesday :) in the meantime just adjusted his viv, lighting and upped his vitamins and misting. Was hoping to get him out for some sunshine today, but as you can see outside, that’s not happening lol

Ya I have a nice boring day at work doing WHMIS training because of the rain lol. At least I’m done in an hour.

Back
Top Bottom