Which would suit best

Lifeandtimes

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of getting a panther cham.

Im Just looking for opinion on the two terraiums I have that I'll be looking to house him in.

Both exo terra

One is 45/45/60 cm (width/depth/height)

The other is 60/45/60 cm

Ultimately I would like a screen cage but they are hard to locate for myself at the moment so these will have to do.

Can anyone advise which is better suited or offer some opinions and advice.

The is very much

Screen is always the best opition the air flow is what you need.
Thanks I understand that but at the moment a all I have is glass as i am unable to source a screen cage and the manufacturers advise of airflow coming through vents at the bottom of the cage.

Also I'm aware others who kept happy healthy chams in glass and wooden set ups.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Thanks I understand that but at the moment a all I have is glass as i am unable to source a screen cage and the manufacturers advise of airflow coming through vents at the bottom of the cage.

Also I'm aware others who kept happy healthy chams in glass and wooden set ups.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Of course glass is fine also

i personally would go with the 60/45/60 since it's bigger, but in any case both cage sizes would be small for adult panthers. how old is the panther you would like to get?

i personally would go with the 60/45/60 since it's bigger, but in any case both cage sizes would be small for adult panthers. how old is the panther you would like to get?

Hi thanks for your reply.

I would be getting a juvenile, so a couple of months old.

So in your opinion the bigger cage would be fine for now and once the cham reaches adult I would then get a larger/taller cage to house him in?

Hi thanks for your reply.

I would be getting a juvenile, so a couple of months old.

So in your opinion the bigger cage would be fine for now and once the cham reaches adult I would then get a larger/taller cage to house him in?

Yah i think so, and that's also what you will find if you look at most care sheets. But keep in mind that your cage is going to be very short term, as in only a few months. my cham is going to be 8 months and i am upgrading to my permanent enclosure in about a month. that cage is going to be 26 x 18 x 60 (inches, width x depth x height). Even then, the depth of the cage is less than recommended, but i have space issues so i had to make it no more than 18 inches. hopefully this helps.

Bigger is always better, but if you get at least 24"W x 18"D x 36"T then you should be fine. This is the Exo Terra I have:
full

Don't let the general consensus fool you to believe that a screen cage is better than glass. In your original post you make it sound like you are "settling" for a terrarium. That's not true at all. The size you currently mention should last a young Cham for a while. (Some breeders may even say it's fine as an enclosure for a grown cham.)

You need to take a close look at the area and the normal temps and humidity of your house. If humidity is low a lot, then a glass enclosure would work better. If you have high humidity, a screen may be the way to go. Also consider the decor in the enclosure. If you use a lot of real plants, humidity will be affected. An example of this would be glass terrarium that maintains a proper humidity may turn into a humidity nightmare if you introduce a lot of real plants.

What works for you a moving target at best until you find a system that works.

Bigger is always better, but if you get at least 24"W x 18"D x 36"T then you should be fine. This is the Exo Terra I have:
full

Don't let the general consensus fool you to believe that a screen cage is better than glass. In your original post you make it sound like you are "settling" for a terrarium. That's not true at all. The size you currently mention should last a young Cham for a while. (Some breeders may even say it's fine as an enclosure for a grown cham.)

You need to take a close look at the area and the normal temps and humidity of your house. If humidity is low a lot, then a glass enclosure would work better. If you have high humidity, a screen may be the way to go. Also consider the decor in the enclosure. If you use a lot of real plants, humidity will be affected. An example of this would be glass terrarium that maintains a proper humidity may turn into a humidity nightmare if you introduce a lot of real plants.

What works for you a moving target at best until you find a system that works.

Thanks very much, you've given me plenty of info to work with, I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom