which Trioceros is best??

jodeoh60

Hello from Philadelphia. We’ve got 20yrs experience with Jacksons (some with Panthers) —endless litters born and sent out. A few years back we cleaned out all our stock and supplies, but now everyone misses the little critters. I’m partial to the Triceros family and the montane species. Do any of you have an opinion as to the personality of the other species listed and their care compared to Jacksons? I’ve read here that quadricornus babies are hard to raise. Nothing can beat the gentle nature of the Jacksons, and our herd was always a big hit with the family and friends. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jacksonii
Quadricornus (four-horned)
Montium (sailfin)
Hoehnelii (helmeted)
Cristatus (crested)
Wiedersheimei (peacock)
Melleri (Meller’s)
Deremensis ( three-horned)

I have found quads are easy to raise, especially CBB. Females are more outgoing or maybe hungrier than the males.

My deremensis sits in one spot all day. Not a very active species as an adult.

My Johnstoni are friendly and active.

Last edited:
Hello from Philadelphia. We’ve got 20yrs experience with Jacksons (some with Panthers) —endless litters born and sent out. A few years back we cleaned out all our stock and supplies, but now everyone misses the little critters. I’m partial to the Triceros family and the montane species. Do any of you have an opinion as to the personality of the other species listed and their care compared to Jacksons? I’ve read here that quadricornus babies are hard to raise. Nothing can beat the gentle nature of the Jacksons, and our herd was always a big hit with the family and friends. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jacksonii
Quadricornus (four-horned)
Montium (sailfin)
Hoehnelii (helmeted)
Cristatus (crested)
Wiedersheimei (peacock)
Melleri (Meller’s)
Deremensis ( three-horned)

The Deremensis look the most like baby dinosaurs. I've wanted to build an enclosure with a fake volcano and a T-Rex back display but not sure if that would scare the bejeebers out of one.

I have found quads are easy to raise, especially CBB. Females are more outgoing or maybe hungrier than the males.

My deremensis sits in one spot all day. Not a very active species as an adult.

My Johnstoni are friendly and active.

Can you provide some info or sources on Johnstoni? I am unfamiliar with them.

Their care is similar to that of the jacksons.

There is info in Petr Necas' book: Chameleons nature's hidden jewels.

Action Jackson (posted above) has some nice CBB johnstoni babies available.

Their care is similar to that of the jacksons.

There is info in Petr Necas' book: Chameleons nature's hidden jewels.

Action Jackson (posted above) has some nice CBB johnstoni babies available.
I've found that my hoehnelii perfer the warmer temperatures in my panther room as apposed to the cooler temps that my jacksonii.jacksonii perfer.

0756e894b18dacaf1d335d5326abec71.jpg

5764dbf663bb89eac9f5652a06698e8a.jpg

Do you know what size cham you are interested in? I like smaller cham and montane chams, though I do have a male veiled, my other twelve chams are montane chams. I favor smaller chams. My favorites are Werner's, Hoenelii, and Mt. Meru Dwarf Jackson's chameleons. Do you like horns? Hoeneliis are very cute but don't really have horns. Werner's and Jackson's males both have three horns and the females have one.

The first pic is of my four month old hoenelii, the second is of my adult Mt. Meru Dwarf Jackson's, and the third is of my adult Werner's (sorry it's not very good but you can see his beautiful colors). Good luck in making your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 161
Females have 3 horns too! :)

The first pic is my 3 horned female jacksonii.jacksonii, the second is my 2 horned female jacksonii.jacksonii.

af2682aa98099c003833ff9ea3c6594e.jpg

ba484332d4fb3e6abf016bc6833d6d36.jpg

I enjoy quads, they are just a gentle, easy going cham, who I love to bits.:) i also can say werneri are a gentle fun cham. I have only had werneri a few months, but have kept quads for years.

If you enjoyed Jackson's you'll love the Quads. Period.

There were a bunch of recent imports, I'd stay away from those since there have a lot of issues with them over the last few months.

One member on the forums, Ponders, has some established babies and has been hatching them out regularly. I purchased one from her in Jan 14. I have 4 now. Nice animals, care is nearly identical to a Jackson's. Neat animals.

Trioceros

Hey thank you all for your input. The above photos make my little heart skip a beat. I'm surprised to hear the Ho's prefer the warmer temp, but this is why we're here to learn. Our Jacksons would GLOW brilliant green as low as 45F outside in a good rainstorm, and God forbid they got forgotten out in the heat greater that 80F they would let us know by hiding and turning pale yellow. So, inside all summer and winter, outside all spring and fall. Even the neighbors love them out in their cages.

I would probable have to say.

Trioceros deremensis
Trioceros quadricornis all the sub species including Trioceros quadricornis eisentrauti
Trioceros montium
Trioceros melleri
Trioceros cristatus
Trioceros hoenelli
Trioceros werneri

All of those are contenders for top Trioceros for me. That is just a great genus to begin with.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The quads look great, really, and the mo thin, but the prices look like pNthers!

Well you have to consider that regardless of the species, there is work involved in breeding, raising, and caring for any type of chameleon.

I know of a bunch of people who recently purchased imports in the $200 range and quite a few didn't make it.

For $300 you get CBB animal directly from the source along with all the info you may need on care. No issues with parasites. Quads were not imported for around 3-4 years so there were nearly no breeders working with these.

Old adage: You tend to get what you pay for. I find it true when dealing with CBB animals.

Side note, my Quads just last night got to stay outside overnight in a rain storm that had temps drop to 45ish. They loved it from the look of them this morning.

My preference is werneri. As adults they are easy going and don't show any sign of getting aggressive. Care for captive born babies is easy as long as you mist a few times a day. They like it humid but not wet. Lows into middle 60's and highs to around 80 and they are happy.

Carl

My preference is werneri. As adults they are easy going and don't show any sign of getting aggressive. Care for captive born babies is easy as long as you mist a few times a day. They like it humid but not wet. Lows into middle 60's and highs to around 80 and they are happy.

Carl

Carl, what is the meaning of the numbers at the bottom of you posts? Male:female, but what the third refer to?

Back
Top Bottom