Which Roach Species?

ERKleRose

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’m thinking of getting out of dubia roaches because they barely move for my chams and one doesn’t even eat them. What are the differences between discoid, ivory-headed, and orange-headed roaches? Also, how do people store their green banana roaches without them flying out of the enclosure? I already have red runners, which I love for my chams, but I want more variety.

Discoid are kind of similar to dubia, not very active. The adults do grow larger though.
Orange heads and ivory heads are more active for me, and also meatier. With these guys you need to make sure you provide plenty of protein and some humidity. Otherwise they will either eat the wings off each other or cannibalize.

For green bananas I use a sterilite gasket bin and just cut out a small rectangle and glue some window screen. You need to regularly check that the screen is still glued to the lid because they can squeeze through any tiny gap. Only adults climb and fly though. The nymphs cannot and will just burrow. They're more active at night so try to deal with them during the day. If you have some adults on the lid or the sides of the bin then slightly open the lid and poke them. They usually just run down to burrow or hide under the cork bark.

Discoid are kind of similar to dubia, not very active. The adults do grow larger though.
Orange heads and ivory heads are more active for me, and also meatier. With these guys you need to make sure you provide plenty of protein and some humidity. Otherwise they will either eat the wings off each other or cannibalize.

For green bananas I use a sterilite gasket bin and just cut out a small rectangle and glue some window screen. You need to regularly check that the screen is still glued to the lid because they can squeeze through any tiny gap. Only adults climb and fly though. The nymphs cannot and will just burrow. They're more active at night so try to deal with them during the day. If you have some adults on the lid or the sides of the bin then slightly open the lid and poke them. They usually just run down to burrow or hide under the cork bark.
Thanks!

I think you'll find a better deal for orange heads since they're more readily available than ivory heads. Another plus for orange heads is that you could keep them without substrate, although I prefer to use substrate with them. Personally, I think the ivory head is prettier than orange heads but I guess that's not that important haha.

Green bananas are very pretty in my opinion, and chams love the green coloration. They make for a great snack.

Always heard discoids were just a slow breeding dubia. Mainly used in florida. Been told ivories are good but im not sure if they reproduce fast as orange heads. It have orange heads. They dont reproduce as fast as dubias but since they are bigger, you probably get the same weight out of a like sized container. They do smell though. Not enough to bother me.

Green bananas are slow to reproduce. Walmart sells a gasket storage container. Then cut out a 6*6" square and hot glue some screening over it.

I do gasket sealed containers with my crickets and red runners, so I’d do the same with green banana roaches. Are ivory headed roaches the same size as orange headed roaches?

Personally I won't mess with anything beaidsb Dubia and orange heads. I can not deal with the idea of climbing and I creasing the chance of escape. Red runners and banana are no go for me. I haven't looked into ivory head but they seem similar to orange heads. Nobody near me sells any other species except Dubia and I would want to try and see if it's even something my Cham would eat.

It's just so annoying that Dubia don't move that I have just stopped them for now. I don't know what to switch too. Right now my Cham is eating crickets, superworms, hornworms and my pothos haha .

Ivory and orange heads are roughly the same size. I would say ivory heads are slightly bigger, but not by much. What size are you looking for?

Discoids are just like dubia in care and size but are absolutely more active. I have had both and they have different uses because my chameleons free range and have preferences.

Some chameleons want to see a roach run along a branch. Some chameleons are less picky and will take from my hand or a bowl. Discoid roaches take off running when you put them down, even up a branch or screen mesh. Dubia roaches stay put and play dead. Sometimes you want one feature over the other.

I want something a little bigger than dubia; something more active would be great. I think I’ll go with the orange headed roaches! Thanks, everyone, y’all were such great help!

Sorry, here’s the pic!

Attachments

• 8A3017B7-5B56-4783-98D5-5FB8613CF92B.png
    8A3017B7-5B56-4783-98D5-5FB8613CF92B.png
    811.6 KB · Views: 92
@ERKleRose, update us here on the orange heads. I ran into some at a pet show this weekend, and they were shiny, pretty, and active. He said they grow faster too, so reach maturity faster than dubias. My Oustalet's is picky about his playing dead dubias, so I may need to add some orange heads in as well!

@ERKleRose, update us here on the orange heads. I ran into some at a pet show this weekend, and they were shiny, pretty, and active. He said they grow faster too, so reach maturity faster than dubias. My Oustalet's is picky about his playing dead dubias, so I may need to add some orange heads in as well!
Once I figure this out, I’ll let y’all know and keep y’all updated

Could I use this as a green banana roach enclosure, or would they chew through it?
They will chew their way out plus they like it very humid. That's why I only have a 6x6 " hole in my container. I still get a lot of water loss. They also could probably squeeze out where the two zippers meet

They will chew their way out plus they like it very humid. That's why I only have a 6x6 " hole in my container. I still get a lot of water loss. They also could probably squeeze out where the two zippers meet
Thanks, I’ll keep it to pupate painted ladies and bsfl!

Back
Top Bottom