which plants?

Phoenix

Hey guys,

at the moment murphy is in a exo terra tank, im going to rehome her in her new flexarium as soon as it arrives, any ideas on whats the best live plant to be using with a femal veiled cham? is the a fiscus plant with a mix of articifical the way forward?

Jamie

Hey Jamie,
The ficus will work great from what I have read, minus the one issue being the "sap" that a chameleon can get in its eyes from rubbing on the branches. I bought one but never used it because it was too tall for my 4ft tall cage, so I bought a hibiscus (which is 3 1/4ft tall in the cage) to put in there. I personally prefer the hibiscus and recommend it to anyone for their cham(s) for many reasons.

Some sites say ficus is better, some say hibiscus. I like the hibiscus because of its fullness; its thick and strong. It also blooms a nice looking flower that comes and goes quite fast. My chameleon loves it and thats the only plant I have in there for him. Hopefully I can throw up a pic sometime soon in the gallery so you can see it.

PS... whatever plant you choose, wash it off thoroughly with soap, and replant it with perlite-free soil. Cover the soil with some screen, or put big enough rocks (that the cham cant swallow) directly over the soil. Hope this helps some...

Jim

hey jim,

Thanks for ur advice, will let u know how i get on, my flex should be here anyday soon so will post some pics when shes in her new home, again thanks for the advice

Jamie:)

Hey guys,

at the moment murphy is in a exo terra tank, im going to rehome her in her new flexarium as soon as it arrives, any ideas on whats the best live plant to be using with a femal veiled cham? is the a fiscus plant with a mix of articifical the way forward?

Jamie

Depending on the size of the cage, consider a Hibiscus Bush. They flower easily and smell good (my wife loves that), plus the veileds can and will eat the leaves. They generally won't eat the ficus.

Hey Jamie,
The ficus will work great from what I have read, minus the one issue being the "sap" that a chameleon can get in its eyes from rubbing on the branches.
Jim

I keep reading the sap is a toxin, veileds eat plants and like it. Ive also read that they can eat the leaves, but it is sketchy because if the cham rips the leaf off there might be sap on the stem of the leaf. So I have been avoiding ficus trees and their sap, my veiled will eat anything green :) Loves the hibiscus though...:p

Back
Top Bottom