Which one should I get?

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok, I have been searching FB buy sell trades for a hutch to convert into an enclosure for a panther cham. I have two options, both will need to be modified to work well. The first is much nicer looking but will need to be made deeper. The second option might be the way to go because it’s actually two pieces so, two enclosures. It will also need to be modified to make the actual living space taller. I have both sellers talked down to $75. If I wasn’t being restricted by the wife I would buy both! What do you think @Brodybreaux25?

Bill

Attachments

• E94B6FCD-ECCF-44A0-8D56-B25C26ADFA0E.png
    E94B6FCD-ECCF-44A0-8D56-B25C26ADFA0E.png
    928.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2B091526-0A1E-4A36-AECE-2226DEE0F78A.png
    2B091526-0A1E-4A36-AECE-2226DEE0F78A.png
    536.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 492C0BB2-70E2-4F56-BA27-E2B3C54CF4D1.png
    492C0BB2-70E2-4F56-BA27-E2B3C54CF4D1.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 135
Also, I’m wondering if I can get away with the shallower depth seance there is plenty of vertical and horizontal space? Referring to the first option?

Bill

Agreed.. depth is not important. I have almost the exact same as both your photos. I have a male in both types and have to say the more they can move left to right is by far more of a benefit than cubic size/volume. I think my hutch is 13-14" deep x 36" wide [each side, 2 chams] and my entertainment center pieces are 24x24. They're both 48" ish tall. If I had it to do over, the width is FAR more important. That being said, just make sure there's enough depth that your cham can turn around, lol!

I would choose this one IF you are willing and able to do the more extreme modifications, meaning attach the two together, remove a few dividing walls and floors, and make new front doors. That would be a very nice and roomy enclosure. You could even make it into two enclosures but personally I would make it one large space as I like to give a lot of horizontal room as well as height.

Viv.jpg

I would choose this one IF you are willing and able to do the more extreme modifications, meaning attach the two together, remove a few dividing walls and floors, and make new front doors. That would be a very nice and roomy enclosure. You could even make it into two enclosures but personally I would make it one large space as I like to give a lot of horizontal room as well as height.

View attachment 250167
Man that looks frickin amazing! Making the modifications is no problem, my very good friend has a wood shop and is always happy to help me make things happen lol. Now I really think I must have both! You guys definitely aren’t making this easier lmao!

Having done it my one "word" of advice is to find the furniture piece that requires the LEAST amount of "modification". The more you have to modify it, the more you damage the structure of the cabinet amongst other issues like sealing it. Having made a few cages and modified one... I'll never again do it that way - by the time you've modified it "that much" you could've just built it from scratch. [This is just my opinion however]

Now I wait until I find the furniture piece before I do anything!

Here are the pieces I started with.... the first pic is an entertainment stand which was 2 of these and a "bridge":

20190913_153617.jpg

Hutch:

20190722_163023.jpg

View attachment 250167
Is that yours? It looks fake. Not trying to attack you, that’s a big ass panther if it is.

Purchased this one today for $75. It’s much deeper twenty inches to be exact. Each side will provide an enclosure space of 32x20x48. This will work perfectly for a pair of panthers. Probably won’t mess with it until spring.

Bill

Attachments

• 9FF43C9C-E74F-4F53-938F-CA9302ACF0F7.jpeg
    9FF43C9C-E74F-4F53-938F-CA9302ACF0F7.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 104
Purchased this one today for $75. It’s much deeper twenty inches to be exact. Each side will provide an enclosure space of 32x20x48. This will work perfectly for a pair of panthers. Probably won’t mess with it until spring.

Bill

Those should make nice enclosures and even though it would be great to have one single, really wide and large space made by joining them, by keeping them two separate spaces it saves a lot of work and there’s then no need to permanently join them together. That seems like a good compromise and they’ll look beautiful next to each other when finished!

Back
Top Bottom