Which one is easier to care for between a veiled female and male

Chamfan1

Im trying to buy a Chameleon. Is a male Veiled Chameleon easier to care for then a female Veiled Chameleon, or is it the opposite?

With females you have to deal with them being gravid and all that. So my vote is its easier to go with a male. But then again I've never owned both.

Thanks

Some people say that no, a female is easier to take care of, other say that a male is easier to take care of. So i'm hoping I'll get help from lots of other people, but thanks Chamoman. Your point about the gravid thing is a good point. I'll keep that in mind.

I think a male is probably easier to care for.

Because females lay eggs regardless of being mated, you always have that to pay attention to. So you need to keep their temps and food under tighter control, you have to make a suitable laying bin, and supplement with more calcium. It's not difficult to deal with, it's just a little nerve-wrecking (especially the first time), and there's always the small risk that she may have complications. And unfortunately, a side-effect of their reproductive habits is that females tend to live less than males. These are the biggest differences, in my opinion.

That said, I've loved all my ladies. And when I had a clutch of babies hatch I kept litte girls, because they're so cute and dainty.

If you have been lizarding for less than 5 years i would recommend a male just due to the eggs. They are like chickens and will have eggs even if the rooster is not around. As an owner you will need to recognize the signs of being gravid, adjust the food and supplement schedule to deal with egg production, and recognize the signs of when she ready to lay. Then you will need to make a suitable egg laying bin to her liking. If she doesnt like it she will keep them and get egg bound. If the bin isnt up to standard and the cave keeps caving in, she will run out of energy and not lay.

If you are experienced enough do deal with the egg laying part, then it will be a joy to you to have a female that lights up neon green.

My female water dragon was easier to deal with. She would just lay all the eggs in her 2 gallon water dish. Not a good way to raise viable eggs though...

I don't think there is too much difference as long as you know what to expect with each and are prepared. Yes, there are egg laying bins and different temps and feeding requirements, but for the most part I would say that there are only a few more risks with raising a female.

I have a boy and a girl veiled at the mo Freddie and Charlie, Charlie got very poorly because she hadn't been mated she had extreme trouble forming the egg folicals properly and it was swelling into a mass in her abdomen. She had to go through a life saving op to remove it and spay her at the same time.

All this cost £300 pounds which should have been more like £450, had the other vet not quoted me a couple of months before. It was totally worth the money to save her as she's my little star but the vet says egg binding is more common than you think.

As for Freddie I've only had him just over a week but other than his ferocious appetite he's amazing and very curious,

Hope this helps

I would go with the male if your biggest concern is ease of care. As other members have said, females will lay eggs and need a laying bin, so they require a bit more attention, though both species need lots of attention to ensure they get adequate care :) Males will also usually live longer than the females.

Males are more colorful, but the females are very pretty in their own right. I have had two males for a little less than a year and just got a female that I think has eggs, so it's definitely a bit stressful. I'm hoping she'll lay them soon and I can stop worrying about her so much :p

Either way, they're great pets. Good luck!

Little girls deserve a good and loving home too. They are so sweet and have such a great personality. If you decide to go for a girl there's allot of good information here for keeping a female. If you get everything setup correct to start with, keeping a female is not that much harder than a male.

I want to go with a girl but im scared of early death or the Gravid thing cause my Gecko died tragically and I don't want it to happen again. Because like they said sometimes the gravid thing is a disadvantage.
Thanks again

Just because they're not as "easy" doesn't mean that they're impossible to keep either. I've had/have several girls and they're not difficult, you just have to be diligent about their diet, supplements (they go through more calcium, obviously), making sure they have access to a laying bin, etc. But there are several great blogs out there that explain how to keep egg production low or non-existent by controlling temperature and diet, and there is a great video in the breeding section on how to make a laying bin. As long as you have that under control you're off to a great start.

Like I said, from my clutch of babies I ended up keeping two sisters because I find female panthers to make adorable, sweet pets, like their mom. You just have to read up on them, so you know how best to meet their needs.

Back
Top Bottom