Which Montane Can Handle Some Heat?

I'm thrilled those are the best two options, as those are my two favorites. I've sent him a message asking about mellerii. Quads I think Chameleon Nation has some CB ones I should inquire about.

By the time I get any, it will be close to Fall, so no worries on overheating there, and will give me plenty of time to find the right equipment for next summer to keep them cooler.

It's just that we can get black outs during storms here in the hottest days/nights of the summer, so if I am gone and the timers go or something malfunctions, I need a chameleon that could handle 85F for a few days.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Are Jackson's an option too? I know they must have to deal with that kind of heat in Hawaii!

Are Jackson's an option too? I know they must have to deal with that kind of heat in Hawaii!

Yeah there you go. That is a good point and Hawaiian Jacksons are not even supposed to be there so getting some removed from the wild is a good thing!

My melleri handle 85-90 degree temps.... I don't let the room get that hot, but the top of the cages will get 88 and the lower parts be 83ish and they are still up at the top of the cages, not looking stressed. Melleri don't like a ton of heat.... but if it is a peak time, and you can get them cool for the rest of the time, they seem to do OK. We let it get to that 88*f and then click on the AC... or we just turn it on before then. But there are lots of times when I get home from work (3pm) and it doesn't seem 'that hot' but it is, I click on the AC and cool things down.

I set the basking spot for my large melleri, Henry, at 95*. He will bask there and move away when he feels fine.... but he does sometimes just sit there for hours.

Yeah similar with me too, but he's talking those mid 80 temps 24/7 right?

I really don't think any cham is appropriate for that, but especially not montanes...

If it can be done in AZ it can be done anywhere. I run a window AC unit for the cham room (house AC is set at 77) and always have humidifiers going in that room. That way it does not effect the other house inhabitants. Just as a reference our average humidity is below 15% and our summer daytime temps are over 110 deg.

I completely agree 100%, as I raised Weiders & some different Brookesia species in AZ - and it doesn't get hotter or drier for longer periods of time then Phoenix, AZ in most places in the world, so get an AC unit. I used to keep the AC set at 78 and there was a humidifier set up on a timer in their room.

i keep all my montanes well below 80, wouldnt even try to keep them if i couldnt maintain the lower temp.
jmo
hoj

i keep all my montanes well below 80, wouldnt even try to keep them if i couldnt maintain the lower temp.
jmo
hoj

He isn't trying to keep them at the high temp year round. He just wants to know if there are species that can tolerate a warm temp for period of time. There must be some... because it isn't ALWAYS cool temps where these guys are from. Look at the weather reports for where these guys come from... you'll see some pretty warm temps.

I sorta do my seasons opposite of whats going on outside... I operate the AC in the summer so it's pretty cool in here and then in the fall we try to not use the AC as much and it gets a bit warm.... and in winter time we just leave the windows open and the fans on or off depending on how warm it gets. it's kinda neat when the weather outside is cool enough that with the windows open it keeps the room at just the right temp while the lights are all on and then when the lights turn off for the day we get a very nice cool night time drop. I had melleri outside when we were moving back in the early spring and it was 55 degrees outside. because of the move I had the melleri out there and they were the coolest calmest green i've ever seen them. I don't like to get my apt that cold.... so they don't experience that temp very often.... but I do let it get down to the lower/mid 60's sometimes.

Temps over 80 will be uncomfortable for any montane, as you said. Ir respect the fact you currently keep quads, but, in my mind, the two aforementioned species (quads and mellers) would do best in those temperatures for a short period of time. As I said, melleri would be his best bet.

Only problem with melleri is that they're difficult to locate in Canada, particularly in decent health.

Brock, maybe you could get in contact with JimTurner on this forum. I know he sees a lot of different species in Calgary. He also has quite a few melleri!!!

Adam,

Have you ever kept T. quadricornis? Having kept both subspecies of T. quadricornis for quite a few years and having been in their habitats in Cameroon, I have to completely disagree with you. They live in areas that do not get that hot and while they can take short periods of higher temperatures, the summer is not a short period and I would not recommend attempting to keep them at these temperatures for that duration of time. If Brock wants to try this species, he needs to take steps to lower this temperature (swamp cooler, window AC unit, etc.).

Chris

hello ,didn't follow this topic butt i have to agree with chris ,my quads can not stand the heat , i've bin ceeping montanes for a long period now and have : montiums ,deremensis,jacks , hoehnelli , rudis , sternfeldi's ,quads and cristatus and from al this species the cristatus is the species that can stand the heat the best ,even so that they actually love to be cept warmer in the day and night.

Back
Top Bottom