Which furry friend?

Lille

Now that my rat is gone, I want to go a different route for a while. Normally I would clean the cage out, bleach it and get a new rat. But I think I want to see what else is out there that makes a good little furry pet.

Any suggestions?

A chinchilla or Sugar Gliders! Here's my Sugar Glider, Bubble.

Attachments

• Bubble's Face 1.jpg
    Bubble's Face 1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 104
Chinchillas are cool. But if they escape have fun trying to catch them. My friend had one and he moved so fast it was like teleportation. :p

I'd say go with a bunny they are so cute and usually so affectionate.

P9300006.jpg

There is a picture of my little love, Anakinn

Ferrets smell and hedgehogs wont cuddle..

Sugar Gliders are cool but the males can smell and they require a different sorta diet and live insects..

Guinea Pigs are noisy and mean (and Nocturnal!)

Chinchillas are really cool but they poo wherever they feel, shed, and CAN bite..but I really miss mine..

Id say a bunny... I have three and they get all excited when they see me coming down the stairs.Plus you can teach them tricks and play fetch..and they are relatively cheap (people around here are GIVING them away) and can be litter trained...Just gotta keep up on pellets , hay, and fresh fruits/veggies. :)

Hedgehogs are just coming out of Hibernation here in the UK - saw 2 night before last - they're making a really weird noise - almost like a Cham's hissing but deeper. Don't know if they were fighting or what but one was circling the other making that noise :S

Guess you can keep these as pets in the US? IIRC we can't in the UK but if I fill the garden with the right bits and bobs they dont take long to emerge.

I'd 2nd ferrets - very intelligent animals.

IMO - Like a large rat with the brain of a cat!

3rd for ferrets, but after watching my cat run into the patio door 5 tmes in the last hour, brain of a cat may not be the best discription, ferrets are definately smarter than cats...

Hmm, Rabbits bite anything in the house, so conceal all electrical cords. (I've had three, every single one of them did this)
Ferrets can be extremely mean and tempermental, destructive though intelligant. They are also responsible for almost wiping out the kiwi bird.
Hamsters are ok, but are nocturnal.
Guina Pigs are alright as well, they only smell if you dont' clean them properly.
Never had a sugar glider but i know they need special care.

One of my rabbits doesn't chew anything at all, the other one chews everything and anything.

If you give a rabbit enough chew toys and other things it won't bite up stuff in the house, mine doesn't really. Occasionally she will chew on the carpet and try to dig.

I've always wanted a rabbit, and honestly my boyfriend fell in love with a little white one while we were getting superworm and crickets at our local petstore. And there'd be a little problem with the whole "hide the cords" thing...we're kinda geeky and have ALOT of electronics. I might look in to sugar gliders, does anyone know about Degu's? I've heard they bite :( They're kind of like Chinchilla's...I like the cage size for Degu's though, not too big.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that degu's are closely related to chinchillas. Since i've never owned either of them i'm not sure how the act. If you want to "hide the cords" you could always buy thick pvc and string your cords through there or something like that.

You don't have to the hide the cords. You just need supervision. I've got it to the point where I clap, and my rabbits know they're not supposed to be doing whatever mischief they're getting themselves into. We have a nintendo wii, a ps3, a gamecube, a snes. We also have two computers. my rabbits haven't touched them since they've been trained.

They're trainable! If i say "cage", they'll go to their cage. On of my rabbits can go outside in our OPEN backyard and not run away. just lounges by the trees. They're extremely satisfying pets. Just make sure you spay/neuter them or they might get bitey.

Hedgehogs are just coming out of Hibernation here in the UK - saw 2 night before last - they're making a really weird noise - almost like a Cham's hissing but deeper. Don't know if they were fighting or what but one was circling the other making that noise :S

Guess you can keep these as pets in the US? IIRC we can't in the UK but if I fill the garden with the right bits and bobs they dont take long to emerge.

I think they mean Pygmy hedgehogs rather than wild ones! Sounds like the two you saw could be 'getting to know each other'!:D I thought they usually lived alone - I've only ever seen single ones. Sadly I only seem to see the few that don't make it across the road!:( Haven't seen one in the garden for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom