Which Bulbs are Bad Bulbs?

Hey, everyone. I'm thinking of getting a ReptiBreeze chameleon kit as opposed to a standalone cage. This is because I found one online for a good price and in the right size that would give me some bonus stuff (leaves, small vine, powder, lamp, bulbs, ReptiCarpet...) for a good value compared to the standalone. I could then use some of the included supplies to supplement the supplies that I would get separately. How is Zoo Med even allowed to market it as a complete chameleon kit, anyway? But I digress: some of the supplies included in the package are two bulbs that I have are dangerous for a cham. I'm just not sure which one it is, so does anyone know if it is the heat bulb, UVB bulb or both that I should chuck? Or should I keep them on hand for a reptile that can actually use them, if such a reptile exists?
All feedback is great! :)

Still need a t5ho linear light. Ditch the carpet as it will hold and foster bacteria. Bare floor is good. The kits are smaller and you will have to get a bigger cage. My opinion, your money is better spent on full size instead of things you wont or dont need. A dome light fixture is about $8 at a big box store. Vines are $5-7. Spend the money on live plants and forage for branches.

Still need a t5ho linear light. Ditch the carpet as it will hold and foster bacteria. Bare floor is good. The kits are smaller and you will have to get a bigger cage. My opinion, your money is better spent on full size instead of things you wont or dont need. A dome light fixture is about $8 at a big box store. Vines are $5-7. Spend the money on live plants and forage for branches.
I totally agree with this. Much of the stuff you will be getting will be low end products you want the best for your Cham. So just go with a larger cage and you won’t regret it. You will be better off buying the things you need separately.

The enclosure that I will be getting will be the same 24", 24", 48" size no matter if it is a kit or not. At least, that's what both listings said. I understand that the stuff in the kit isn't enough for a chameleon exclusively (far from it) but getting some extra cover, calcium powder and a lamp in one box sounded nice to me. That was my rationale, at least. Anyways, are both of the bulbs, the heat bulb, or the UVB bulb bad? That was my main question.

The enclosure that I will be getting will be the same 24", 24", 48" size no matter if it is a kit or not. At least, that's what both listings said. I understand that the stuff in the kit isn't enough for a chameleon exclusively (far from it) but getting some extra cover, calcium powder and a lamp in one box sounded nice to me. That was my rationale, at least. Anyways, are both of the bulbs, the heat bulb, or the UVB bulb bad? That was my main question.
They are both chameleon poop! The UVB bulb that comes with it doesn't extend enough past the screen to be worth a damn. The blue heat bulb that comes with it is mainly for Jackson's but it also has a habit of blowing out within 1-24hrs. I'd skip it and just get a bigger enclosure. Way better off.

Honestly it is a waste of money. I do not use anything from the kit. I do not use the dome it sucked. The compact UVB bulb is pointless. And the fake vine had pieces that came out of it, carpet is a breeding ground of grossness. I tossed the supplements and went with something else as well. So yeah I have a torn a part cage in my shed and a double dome lamp that is in a box. I really think you would be far better off just buying exactly what you need. they make it seem like your getting all this stuff but your really not and it is not quality stuff.

The heat bulb is probably ok to use, just check basking temp
Honestly it is a waste of money. I do not use anything from the kit. I do not use the dome it sucked. The compact UVB bulb is pointless. And the fake vine had pieces that came out of it, carpet is a breeding ground of grossness. I tossed the supplements and went with something else as well. So yeah I have a torn a part cage in my shed and a double dome lamp that is in a box. I really think you would be far better off just buying exactly what you need. they make it seem like your getting all this stuff but your really not and it is not quality stuff.
I completely agree with @Beman. I didn't by the kit, but still got sucked into buying a bunch of stuff that found out was just a waste of money. I just assumed they where in the best interest on reptiles, but nope. They just need to sell the $#!t, lol. So don't feel bad, you are not alone on this expensive journey, lol. I think alot of people bought something on impulse, thinking we where doing best the best thing for our chams.

The heat bulb is probably ok to use, just check basking temp
I completely agree with @Beman. I didn't by the kit, but still got sucked into buying a bunch of stuff that found out was just a waste of money. I just assumed they where in the best interest on reptiles, but nope. They just need to sell the $#!t, lol. So don't feel bad, you are not alone on this expensive journey, lol. I think alot of people bought something on impulse, thinking we where doing best the best thing for our chams.
Yeah the bulb heat bulb was good. And I think your exactly right it is very easy to get sucked in to thing they say to have.... especially when it is an impulse buy and you do not know any better. Much better to research every item and put a list together. post it in the forum and get feedback on the items. :)

D0C10842-6ED3-494C-8BC1-71E50882E7E0.jpeg

Yeah the bulb heat bulb was good. And I think your exactly right it is very easy to get sucked in to thing they say to have.... especially when it is an impulse buy and you do not know any better. Much better to research every item and put a list together. post it in the forum and get feedback on the items. :)
So right, as soon as I found the forums was like... damn. Had the fountain, bulbs, wrong fixtures, lol. Live and learn. I will find a use for them eventually, but still sucks.

I’ve never been able to find a kit with the 24x24x48, when I was looking a few months back I called them and they don’t do those in a kit, only standalone with no extras. You should just look at the DIYcages.com! They’re out of the jumbo ones right now but they’re built so so much better than the reptibreeze.. they are supposed to have more in stock in the next few weeks, the other sizes are available right now tho...

I’ve never been able to find a kit with the 24x24x48, when I was looking a few months back I called them and they don’t do those in a kit, only standalone with no extras. You should just look at the DIYcages.com! They’re out of the jumbo ones right now but they’re built so so much better than the reptibreeze.. they are supposed to have more in stock in the next few weeks, the other sizes are available right now tho...
Wha-what?? I didn't even know that website existed! I thought that I went on a website for DIY cages and they were way out of my price range, but obviously not the right website!
The price seems pretty reasonable for a good-quality cage. Just hope that shipping to Canada is doable.

Back
Top Bottom