where to put bulb?

Annii

So I'm getting a wooden Viv with glass doors in a few days for my Yemen and I'm wondering whether to stick with a basking light and uv, or whether to get a ceramic heat emitter and uv. I'm assuming from what I have seen the uv is best put above the door on the inside. But there's no hole cut out for the other bulb yet, should I get a basking bulb and put it inside in a cage or cut a hole and put mesh there for it to shine through the roof. Or do I get a ceramic heat emitter in a cage and put it inside? Just seem a waste of space having the bulb caged inside?

Cut a hole for it, and go with a heat lamp not a ceramic emitter. Chameleons wont recognize the ceramic heat emitter as a heat source and could harm themselves.

Putting the bulb inside of the cage is a huuuuuuggge no-no. Chameleons for some reason think that it's fun to burn themselves, as if they almost aren't harmed by the burn. This is a major health risk to them, as burns get infected and all sorts of other wonderful things. Your best option is to get a basking bulb and cut a hole with mesh over it on the roof of the enclosure. Ceramic heat emitters are perfect for a situation where its too cold for them in the night time. For the day time however, they need visual light as well as the heat. Good luck, and post pics when you're done :)

So I'm getting a wooden Viv with glass doors in a few days for my Yemen and I'm wondering whether to stick with a basking light and uv, or whether to get a ceramic heat emitter and uv. I'm assuming from what I have seen the uv is best put above the door on the inside. But there's no hole cut out for the other bulb yet, should I get a basking bulb and put it inside in a cage or cut a hole and put mesh there for it to shine through the roof. Or do I get a ceramic heat emitter in a cage and put it inside? Just seem a waste of space having the bulb caged inside?

So the entire top of this viv is also wood? It's going to hold on to a lot of heat. If this were mine, I think I'd cut out most of the top and replace it with hardware cloth. Then you can set both your lights on the top without worrying about burning the wood, overheating the viv, blocking the UV, and the chimney effect of the lights will pull stagnant air up and out while the lights are on. Also, if the doors are glass you may need some sort of vent down low in the viv as well to help air exchange. Chams are attracted to light and "assume" that light means heat. They'll naturally climb up closer to the lights to bask. Depending on the watts of the ceramic heat emitter it could be too hot.

I wouldn't put a bulb inside unless it was in a cage so he couldn't harm himself on it. Do you not think the uv tube would be ok inside? I'm sure I have seen in just inside the top lip of the door. I always had a basking bulb for him anyway was just toying with the idea of a heat emitter cause someone had mentioned it to me

As long as the electrical connections of your UV fixture don't get wet you could put it inside. If the viv stays humid much of the time the high moisture level may shorten the life of wiring etc. Also make sure your cham can't get hung up or cut on sharp edges of the fixture.

Back
Top Bottom