where to observe in Florida

when I first started doing this Every time I'd get pulled over an Id explain to the cop's or game warden what im doing they give me the number to there department so I can call them ahead of time so they don't mess with me and they know I'm in their area

I just started with chameleons ive been getting tegus iguanas and cubans Asian water monitors I never mess with indigenous reptiles also I just didn't believe people when they said they where catching chameleons down here also im working on my hot license right now

The closest I've gotten on Google is Eddmaps I just dont know how accurate it is the only thing that I do know is accurate 64th and sterling right in front of Oak Street that place loses every type of reptile all the time

R any of u from south Florida

Or ever been in dade or Broward

Up until less than 2 months ago I did live in Florida, where I got my Ph.D studying chameleons, with many of the chameleons for my research having been collected by me from these populations, which I visited many times. What do I know about them though?

I do have a permit

Regardless of whatever permit you may have, you still need the permission of the land owner to collect on it. As I said, people have been shot at and left with bullet holes in their car, so I wouldn't recommend treating it like a game.

Chris

Yeah absolutely agree permission I do do that I've also been making flyers given them out in neighborhoods also if I see a piece of property that looks like it might have something on it I do ask if i can go on it the day before I go out there and let him no its at night time

Yeah absolutely agree permission I do do that I've also been making flyers given them out in neighborhoods also if I see a piece of property that looks like it might have something on it I do ask if i can go on it the day before I go out there and let him no its at night time

Sure you do:

I guess I'm going to keep looking and private property doesn't stop me

I mean I'm not going to go in someone's back yard but if it's a big open field with no trespassing signs up I'll go right in it

While I could give the location of some of these populations to someone who brags about having no respect for people's property or the law, I'm not going to. Good luck with your search, you aren't getting any help from me though.

Chris

Wow I dont see how u got that out of what I put down but ok keep your secrets take them to the grave with you but I don't understand how you got that but you go on and enjoy ur life I really dont think u read the last few things I typed but whatever enjoy ur self

I don't appreciate being told it's unintelligent ...

then don't boast about doing something unintelligent (and illegal).
comments like this :
.....private property doesn't stop me
.... if it's a big open field with no trespassing signs up I'll go right in it
do not come off as intelligent. Rather this type of comment reads as ignorant, illegal, and likely dangerous behaviour
no trespassing signs mean " keep out / do not trespass", they do not mean "oh well come onto this property that is not yours and ignore that sign, we didn't really mean it"

You don't need a permit to collect Chams in Fla.

However, take Chris' warning seriously, people have been shot at even when they were NOT trespassing....

Ill tell you exactly where you can find some chams in Florida. Most are the Turquoise Blue ones but there are some Sunburst in the same area. The Ft. Myers area is no long available. It was actually destroyed by the state. All that is left is a big retention pond. There might be some still around but they would be in peoples yards so no good.

BUT. Head over to Labelle. If your taking the 80 into town turn south on the 29/ main st. in the center of town. Stay on that road for just a little bit then turn left onto A Rd. Yes "A" road. Down that whole stretch you can find them or atleast used to. By the hundreds the right time of year. DO NOT go into peoples yards here. You will be shot at. Along the road are drainage ditches with trees and brush on the other side. Its ok to go in the ditch and up to the trees. Just dont go to far in.

Go at night and use a flashlight. Thats the only way youll find them. When the light hits em they shine bright green and are easy to spot.

Im serious though. DO NOT GO ON THESE PEOPLES LAND. Not even to ask for permission they wont give it to you anyway. But its completely legal on the road.

In the past it used to be more of a problem (ppl being shot at on the road). But now most of the chams get picked out up in front. So the people dont care since there more in there back yards now. You still find them just not like before.

Isn't FT. Laterdale like a super nice area? I went to a wedding there once on the top of a hotel.

I highly doubt you will be shot at, this isn't the wild west. If anything you will get a trespassing fine, when I was a kid I used to bad stuff and graffiti, they don't arrest you for trespassing. I don't want to go into detail or argue with anyone about this. I'm just saying..

All the history Florida has had though, I wouldn't risk it. But I don't think anyone's going to mindlessly shoot you and risk getting murder charges because you were on their property.

Someone told me once there were Chams in Laguna Beach but I failed to find them :(, let us know how it goes if you do.

Im serious though. DO NOT GO ON THESE PEOPLES LAND. Not even to ask for permission they wont give it to you anyway. But its completely legal on the road.

In the past it used to be more of a problem (ppl being shot at on the road). But now most of the chams get picked out up in front. So the people dont care since there more in there back yards now. You still find them just not like before.

Where are you getting all this information, word of mouth? How do you know every person who has chams on their property isn't going to give you permission..? Most people are genuinely nice, especially in South Florida lol! Your vocabulary makes me feel like your not the most knowledgeable source sorry to say.

Where are you getting all this information, word of mouth? How do you know every person who has chams on their property isn't going to give you permission..? Most people are genuinely nice, especially in South Florida lol! Your vocabulary makes me feel like your not the most knowledgeable source sorry to say.

Im actually from Highlands County. I just moved out to Cali last December. Your right most are friendly. Ive talk to more than a few people who lived on that road and even offered cash to some just to look around and was never givin permission.

You got to understand though. Most of the people there know what these animals are. They know what there worth. Why would they let people on there property to take them when they can make a profit doing it for themselves. Even the ones that who wouldnt usually mind. They have agreements with the ones who live there and catch them.

Also it's not like this is some new thing. Those chams have been there for at least 15 years. After awhile if you lived there how many people would you still let come on your land every night.

But I don't think anyone's going to mindlessly shoot you and risk getting murder charges because you were on their property..

Florida has the Castle Doctrine. But unlike most states it's Castle Doctrine extends from the house to the whole property. So if someones trespassing they are not required to call the police. The only stipulation is they cannot shoot you in the back.

I highly doubt you will be shot at, this isn't the wild west. If anything you will get a trespassing fine, when I was a kid I used to bad stuff and graffiti, they don't arrest you for trespassing. I don't want to go into detail or argue with anyone about this. I'm just saying..

All the history Florida has had though, I wouldn't risk it. But I don't think anyone's going to mindlessly shoot you and risk getting murder charges because you were on their property.

That's a cute idealistic world you're talking about, but I wouldn't be so sure about your assessment that people won't shoot at you in these areas searching for chameleons on (or even near) their property: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3283&p=50355&hilit=bullet#p50355

Chris

Good find Chris. Even the Survey that was done by the state on the Labelle area says to be careful in this area due to reports of people being shot at.

Sound like FL has some die hard chameleon fans lol if anythig all you have to do is ask the land owner if thay wouldn't mind letting you walk the property ..explain what you are doing and you shouldn't have a problem; )

i live in miami fl (dade county) and i go to the everglades once a week and catch all type of reptiles i know a spot to catch veiled and outlets chameleons i can tell you if you get caught in someones backyard get ready to end up in the hospital or in jail.

Back
Top Bottom