Where to find food

Here we go again... 😁

There are lots of sources out there, and this is an extremely competitive business. I keep a small database of vendors in an Excel spreadsheet, including feeder types, sizes, quantities, prices, & shipping. IME, prices can vary quite a bit with supply & demand, so when it's time to order, it doesn't take long to go through the list and find the best deal at the time of order. This usually saves us between $10-$20 per order, but that of course will vary on the amounts & types of feeders you need.
Thats a good idea. To be honest around me I've now found that for crickets it MAY be cheaper and easier to find them at petco or petsmart. The shipping rates I've been finding online are crazy lol. I did order some crickets from Amazon just 250 of them to check it out. It was like 25 bucks. Other websites is like 25 just for shipping! I've found hornworms at petsmart as well.

Thats a good idea. To be honest around me I've now found that for crickets it MAY be cheaper and easier to find them at petco or petsmart. The shipping rates I've been finding online are crazy lol. I did order some crickets from Amazon just 250 of them to check it out. It was like 25 bucks. Other websites is like 25 just for shipping! I've found hornworms at petsmart as well.

Regarding crickets this isn't true. Sure, at face value crickets at Petco or petsmart are cheaper. But try banded crickets once from a good online breeder and you'll see that it saves money in the long run. Young chameleons will eat 15-20+ crickets a day. If you bought a large amount at petco/petsmart, half of them will be dead within a week even with good care. Add in the possible vet bills from contaminated crickets giving your reptiles parasites and it makes it a no brainer to buy online. The bandeds even gutload better IME. Take it from someone that has had reptiles since the 90s and wasted his fair share of money on cheap, unhealthy crickets lol.

No offense intended, just want to get across how much better it is to buy from a reputable online vendor for crickets. To give you an idea, I'd buy a box of 1000 crickets from ghanns and they'd last over a month!

And also, it never hurts to avoid supporting unethical companies like petco/petsmart where possible, but I really don't want to open that can of worms right now. It isn't my main reason for avoiding buying crickets from them. They're just always garbage quality, risk parasites, and more expensive in the long run.

Regarding crickets this isn't true. Sure, at face value crickets at Petco or petsmart are cheaper. But try banded crickets once from a good online breeder and you'll see that it saves money in the long run. Young chameleons will eat 15-20+ crickets a day. If you bought a large amount at petco/petsmart, half of them will be dead within a week even with good care. Add in the possible vet bills from contaminated crickets giving your reptiles parasites and it makes it a no brainer to buy online. The bandeds even gutload better IME. Take it from someone that has had reptiles since the 90s and wasted his fair share of money on cheap, unhealthy crickets lol.

No offense intended, just want to get across how much better it is to buy from a reputable online vendor for crickets. To give you an idea, I'd buy a box of 1000 crickets from ghanns and they'd last over a month!

Hey I'm up for ideas lol. Yeah I find theres tons of different crickets. I may try ghanns if you guys say it's good.

Back
Top Bottom