Where to buy fruit flies in Maryland

Could one of you help me? I am a newbie, and was told by my vet today that I have to vary my 16 month old Jackson's diet. After reading some threads, I'm more confused! Can I purchase silkworms and fruit flies, or do I have to grow them? What else can I buy besides crickets and mealworms that don't have to be raised? Thanks in advance. I'm new, so can't post my own thread yet.
Cricket are just fine as a staple (70% of your chams diet), the issue might be gut loading. Make sure you feed those live crickets some healthy grain (cricket crack, bug burger, etc) ,dark green leafy vegetables and other healthy foods 24-48 hours prior to feeding them to your cham. Get yourself a cheap little container to keep a dozen or so crickets in, and place these foods in there with them. You can also do this with super worms, which are healthier and bigger than mealworms and are also readily available at Petco and/or Petsmart. The more variety the better, but 1-3 feeders is fine so long as they are pre-fed a healthy diet before hand, which will be in their stomach when your chameleon eats them, so he/she will get the nutrients.

Cricket are just fine as a staple (70% of your chams diet), the issue might be gut loading. Make sure you feed those live crickets some healthy grain (cricket crack, bug burger, etc) ,dark green leafy vegetables and other healthy foods 24-48 hours prior to feeding them to your cham. Get yourself a cheap little container to keep a dozen or so crickets in, and place these foods in there with them. You can also do this with super worms, which are healthier and bigger than mealworms and are also readily available at Petco and/or Petsmart. The more variety the better, but 1-3 feeders is fine so long as they are pre-fed a healthy diet before hand, which will be in their stomach when your chameleon eats them, so he/she will get the nutrients.

Thanks Bushbaby! Helpful info. Just ordered spikes and superworms from Grubco. I ordered a cricket gut loader, too. Will add the food to the superworms also. Appreciate your help and taking time to respond. Great pics. BTW, are those roaches!?

Back
Top Bottom