Where to buy fruit flies in Maryland

Kboz1991

Avid Member
Hi I should have some baby chameleons hatching in the next month or 2 I was wondering if anyone on here that lives in maryland knows where I can buy hyde fruit flies? I have my own culturing stuff and want to get ahead for when they hatch. I'm trying not to order them online because of the weather but if it's necessary I can. Any help would be great thank you.

That's crazy. Small world haha. I just need like 3 so I can use them to start culturing my own. I would greatly appreciate it.

Could one of you help me? I am a newbie, and was told by my vet today that I have to vary my 16 month old Jackson's diet. After reading some threads, I'm more confused! Can I purchase silkworms and fruit flies, or do I have to grow them? What else can I buy besides crickets and mealworms that don't have to be raised? Thanks in advance. I'm new, so can't post my own thread yet.

Can I purchase silkworms and fruit flies, or do I have to grow them? What else can I buy besides crickets and mealworms that don't have to be raised?
Silk worms can be purchased ready to feed but sometimes aren't available. Fruit flies are generally fed to babies and are probably too small for your needs.
You might want to contact @nick barta or @Spyro88 or any of the bug selling sponsors on the market pages to order feeders.

Could one of you help me? I am a newbie, and was told by my vet today that I have to vary my 16 month old Jackson's diet. After reading some threads, I'm more confused! Can I purchase silkworms and fruit flies, or do I have to grow them? What else can I buy besides crickets and mealworms that don't have to be raised? Thanks in advance. I'm new, so can't post my own thread yet.
This is just me, but I've had no problems as far as feeders go. I try to use at least 4 different feeders each week/feeding for my two panthers. I use silkworms, hornworms, crickets, superworms, waxworms, dubia roaches, and sometimes other things that I can get. You want to limit the amount of fat in your cham's diet, but I'm no expert on that. I'm an entomologist and will tell you as much as you want to know about bugs, but you should check out the chameleon forum's pages on cham diets and such. They are very useful and I've followed them for my two chams. Fruit flies are going to be WAY TOO SMALL for your 18 month old jacksons. They will look like tiny gnats running around and your cham probably won't pay attention. I would suggest using a mixture of what I use as far as feeders go, I listed mine above^^^^. If you need silkworms or hornworms, I do sell those. There are also many people on ebay and many other sites that sell the same + more than I can. Good luck!

Silk worms can be purchased ready to feed but sometimes aren't available. Fruit flies are generally fed to babies and are probably too small for your needs.
You might want to contact @nick barta or @Spyro88 or any of the bug selling sponsors on the market pages to order feeders.
Thanks for getting back to me! I went on a couple of sights,but was confused; I thought you had to grow silkworms. Are there any other flying feeders my Jackson can eat?

This is just me, but I've had no problems as far as feeders go. I try to use at least 4 different feeders each week/feeding for my two panthers. I use silkworms, hornworms, crickets, superworms, waxworms, dubia roaches, and sometimes other things that I can get. You want to limit the amount of fat in your cham's diet, but I'm no expert on that. I'm an entomologist and will tell you as much as you want to know about bugs, but you should check out the chameleon forum's pages on cham diets and such. They are very useful and I've followed them for my two chams. Fruit flies are going to be WAY TOO SMALL for your 18 month old jacksons. They will look like tiny gnats running around and your cham probably won't pay attention. I would suggest using a mixture of what I use as far as feeders go, I listed mine above^^^^. If you need silkworms or hornworms, I do sell those. There are also many people on ebay and many other sites that sell the same + more than I can. Good luck!
Thanks for your quick reply! I did in fact see your listing on eBay just a little while ago! I would be interested in attempting to raise silkworms to decrease the cost. I will check out your sight now. Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me! I went on a couple of sights,but was confused; I thought you had to grow silkworms. Are there any other flying feeders my Jackson can eat?
You purchase them in groups of like 35 or 50 in a "pod". The pod has everything they need to grow larger. It's like that so that if they are too small at first you can feed the small ones to small pets, let the others feed and grow so they get larger. Then feed those off to your larger pets. There are flying feeders, but not ones that you can purchase like that. Such as soldier flies, aka calciworms. These are maggots that turn into flies. They will fly around and chams love them, but it takes some work to get them to that point. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your quick reply! I did in fact see your listing on eBay just a little while ago! I would be interested in attempting to raise silkworms to decrease the cost. I will check out your sight now. Thanks
If you are interested in silkworms from me, then PM me. I don't have them for sale on ebay at the moment, only my hornworms are on ebay.

Anne,

Welcome to the forum!

If your goal is to have flying feeders for an 18-month old Jackson chameleon, SilkMoths do not fly, and are a frustrating feeder to grow for most people. The best flying food that is fairly inexpensive, and easy to use is Blue Bottle Flies. You get them as larvae, split them into small cups, they keep the the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, and you put a cup in the cage. The larvae pupate, molt, and fly to their death...

If you, or any one wants a care sheet, email me at [email protected]. You can order from Mantisplace.com, you can get 500 Spikes for $6.95 plus shipping.

CHEERS!

Nick

Anne,

Welcome to the forum!

If your goal is to have flying feeders for an 18-month old Jackson chameleon, SilkMoths do not fly, and are a frustrating feeder to grow for most people. The best flying food that is fairly inexpensive, and easy to use is Blue Bottle Flies. You get them as larvae, split them into small cups, they keep the the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, and you put a cup in the cage. The larvae pupate, molt, and fly to their death...

If you, or any one wants a care sheet, email me at [email protected]. You can order from Mantisplace.com, you can get 500 Spikes for $6.95 plus shipping.

CHEERS!

Nick
Thanks Nick! How can I order from you? I don't think I have access to PM yet. I appreciate the excellent info from you and others​

Thank you. I see I'm now able to post. How do I PM someone? I think I'll try bottle flies from Nick and silkworms from spyro88. Really appreciate not only this response, but your responses to others. I've learned a lot, and am less overwhelmed.

The cheapest way to get fruit flys is buy ordering one producing fruit fly culture. Then buy a bunch of cups like the fruit flys come in plus fruit fly food and excelsior. Then you make up your own fruit fly cultures. Add in around 75 fruit flys from the one producing culture to as many as you want to make up. Within 2 weeks you will be in fruit fly heaven. Every 2 weeks or so create a new one so when your older cultures burn out you have brand new ones ready to go. I buy all my fruit fly stuff from Josh's frogs. They have absolutely everything you need. If your close to the D.C. area I can help you if you need it. Just pm me. Hope this helps!!

I received a Hydei fly culture from Josh's Frogs last week and I'm starting to see some flies. I don't need these Hydeis now because my baby chams are starting to chow 1/8" crickets. I live in Leesburg, VA and will be happy to share some Hydeis with you if you have new cultures ready.

The cheapest way to get fruit flys is buy ordering one producing fruit fly culture. Then buy a bunch of cups like the fruit flys come in plus fruit fly food and excelsior. Then you make up your own fruit fly cultures. Add in around 75 fruit flys from the one producing culture to as many as you want to make up. Within 2 weeks you will be in fruit fly heaven. Every 2 weeks or so create a new one so when your older cultures burn out you have brand new ones ready to go. I buy all my fruit fly stuff from Josh's frogs. They have absolutely everything you need. If your close to the D.C. area I can help you if you need it. Just pm me. Hope this helps!!
Thanks for the info. I live outside of Boston, so will order bottle flies from Mantisplace and silkworms from spyro88. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom