Where are Dubia Roaches illegal?

Nicholas3652

Dubia Roaches are quickly becoming the best feeder insect, so I have one question. I've heard somewhere on the internet that Dubia Roaches (Blaptica dubia) are illegal in some states. Are they illegal to propagate in Florida?

They are illegal here in Florida. If you're looking for other roach species and you're here in Florida, I would suggest discoids or green banana roaches

Chase

I think if you have them in FL you are fine but not 100% sure. I know you just can't have them shipped in. I have heard of someone in FL having them.

blaptica dubia

This is very good to know. I just like to offer a variety of feeders.

I think its interesting that they are illegal. I guess its because they can become invasive and intrude homes. :rolleyes:

I think if you have them in FL you are fine but not 100% sure. I know you just can't have them shipped in. I have heard of someone in FL having them.

Just because they have them doesn't make them legal.

Personally I wouldn't mess with dubias here

Chase

This is very good to know. I just like to offer a variety of feeders.

I think its interesting that they are illegal. I guess its because they can become invasive and intrude homes. :rolleyes:

Well they thrive in tropical climates, which we have here, so there is a good chance of that happening. But like I said, discoids are another good option

Chase

dubia are overrated anyway.

I breed 5 species of roach (dubia, lobster, green banana, hissers and giant blaberus hybrids). I rotate feedings with those and a few other insect species. The chameleons are the least excited about the dubia.

Dubia are just popular because they can't climb smooth surfaces like feeding bowls and because of this they got more word of mouth over time as roaches became a popular feeder. You and your lizards aren't missing out if you use discoids instead.

They care the least about the dubia? Not the green bananas? Those things are so tiny, I don't know why they would even be interested in those. Plus they can fly and they're fast. I hate them so much.

I think that it's really silly that they're illegal in certain states. Dubia are a great feeder. And when you have picky eaters, it's a great go to.

They care the least about the dubia? Not the green bananas? Those things are so tiny, I don't know why they would even be interested in those. Plus they can fly and they're fast. I hate them so much.
:D

Lobster roaches seem to be my chameleons' favorite.

Green bananas get more interest than the dubia. And I don't know- they are smaller, but adults are not really what I'd consider tiny. Especially if you consider the majority of the diet of wild chameleons (as per published scientific studies of a few different species) seems to be flies and bees- neither of which are all that large.

It isn't always about size- I had some huge melleri before that prefered lobsters over the larger dubia or hissers.

I've found many chameleons are kind of like that day to day- smaller prey items seem to be a preference, but then they get very excited sometimes when an occasional larger item comes along- but large item after large item and they have much less interest then.

Also it is possibly about the activity of the roaches. Dubia go inactive and kind of hunker down in the food bowls after only a few minutes for the most part. And because they are larger, it takes a few minutes to eat one or two for a chameleon. So after that, the roaches aren't moving so much. Lobsters tend to be a little more active for longer periods and go for occasional strolls in the bowls after hunkering down.

But when it comes to size- dubia or discoids are pretty close in size. They can be fed the same foods, and are pretty close in nutritional value. Neither can climb smooth surfaces. Their care and breeding is pretty much the same. Both are fairly productive species that are easy to breed.

There isn't anything magical or fantastic that dubia has that discoids don't.

Back
Top Bottom