When To Stop Worrying

Don't worry...just get the husbandry right and chances are all will be ok....and take a deep breath! @PlanetRemulak .
”Take a deep breath“ is something I need to hear a lot, so thank you! I quite appreciate that, actually. 😂 I figure it’s for the best to drag it out for a few more months anyway. That just means more time to get prepared and have every last thing ready to go by the time my cham is ready to go.

+1. If you get a healthy animal (reputable breeder) and your husbandry is right, chances are very low anything bad will happen. If it does, it won't be your fault. You have a supportive community to help you deal with virtually any problem that may arise.
All very true! And having a supportive community to fall back on for advice is so, so very appreciated. I can’t help but feel like newer chameleon keepers are making their chameleon’s life (a as well as their own) infinitely easier by participating in this forum and reaching out with questions. lots of invaluable information here.

@PlanetRemulak I will say, I took a break from the forums for awhile. I found that I was being way too harsh on myself. I built an incredible bioactive setup for Ivy, and feel like I have everything down to a science. And yet this post was originally written because I was terrified that I was going to make a husbandry mistake that caused irreparable damage. It really helped my mental health a step back for a month and a half or so. When in doubt, or need of reassurance, the forums will always be here!

@PlanetRemulak I will say, I took a break from the forums for awhile. I found that I was being way too harsh on myself. I built an incredible bioactive setup for Ivy, and feel like I have everything down to a science. And yet this post was originally written because I was terrified that I was going to make a husbandry mistake that caused irreparable damage. It really helped my mental health a step back for a month and a half or so. When in doubt, or need of reassurance, the forums will always be here!

That is entirely understandable. You definitely did the best thing not only for yourself, but for your chameleon as well. Speaking from direct personal experience with anxiety here, but mistakes seem to happen far more often/more easily when you‘re actively worried about making a mistake. 🙄

If Ivy could speak for you, I’d imagine she‘d tell you she‘s happy with the life you’ve provided for her! That or she’d choose to hiss in response. Who’s to say with veileds 😂

That is entirely understandable. You definitely did the best thing not only for yourself, but for your chameleon as well. Speaking from direct personal experience with anxiety here, but mistakes seem to happen far more often/more easily when you‘re actively worried about making a mistake. 🙄

If Ivy could speak for you, I’d imagine she‘d tell you she‘s happy with the life you’ve provided for her! That or she’d choose to hiss in response. Who’s to say with veileds 😂
She would probably throw up karate peets and inflate dramatically while making crazy eyes. That's how I really know she loves me 🤣

Once you have the husbandry down completely then the nerves settle. Honestly I found sitting and watching Beman to be very helpful because I know what colors are normal. I know how he walks. I know how he shoots his tongue. This makes it so I know when something is off. ;)

Per the stopping checking or worrying. I still check every single day multiple times on him. Temps etc. lol

Can someone tell me how long it took to wake up one day and be confident enough in their husbandry that they weren't peeking on their cham every 20 minutes to make sure they're still breathing?

View attachment 301381
(Ivy being super cute while sleeping)

I built this incredible bioactive enclosure with a huge help from the community here. I properly gutload, properly supplement, my lighting is great, and Ivy gets a good variety of feeders. I'm just always terrified I messed something up. Is this how it always is when owning a chameleon? :ROFLMAO:
Don’t worry, I confidently predict that within six months you won’t be so concerned! I know this because in six months you’ll have 5 more chams, and won’t have time!🤪

Don’t worry, I confidently predict that within six months you won’t be so concerned! I know this because in six months you’ll have 5 more chams, and won’t have time!🤪
I’d get excited about this very idea, but it was hell just talking my fiancé into getting the dog (whom he now loves as his child, lol). Needless to say I’m thrilled to have been given the green light to get exactly one chameleon. 😂 I did consider working the “bring one home first and beg for forgiveness after” angle, but ehh..

I’d get excited about this very idea, but it was hell just talking my fiancé into getting the dog (whom he now loves as his child, lol). Needless to say I’m thrilled to have been given the green light to get exactly one chameleon. 😂 I did consider working the “bring one home first and beg for forgiveness after” angle, but ehh..
Yeah, just bring one home and pretend like you’ve had it forever.

If I had the space, I would! But Ivy's enclosure is gigantic and we live in a super small studio and we have 4 dogs

I get the distinct feeling you’re not talking about my dog 😂
Actually, I was/am. I've always taken pups for obedience classes, then beyond (companion/good citizen dog, agility, flyball, service/therapy) depending on their suitability. Missus & I have trained both of our service dogs ourselves, as their duties are tailored to our needs.

When people notice or comment on how well-behaved a dog is (mine or anyone else's), it doesn't just happen. It takes involvement to socialize and build a relationship. When people say they don't have the time for training, I ask, "You can't carve out 10 minutes twice a day to spend with your dog? Then why do you have a dog?" Apart from structured classes (which help immensely with socializing) that's all it takes, and one could probably cut that to 3X a week if made up for on weekends, combing training as part of play. Making a game of it is the secret to successful dog training.

Back
Top Bottom