When the crickets are dying off super fast how good are they.

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m feeding my crickets fresh veggies but they’re dying off super fast. How can they be any good for my Cham to eat?

Hi I don't know what temps are or what your keeping them in . They should have a decent sized cricket keeper with good ventilation. If temps are really high try keeping them in your garage or some where cooler .

Could you post a pic of the cricket bin and the crickets, please? One reason could be the off-gassing of the dead crickets if you don’t remove them right when you notice them

@ERKleRose would this be a similar context . So if I had a bowl of unripe fruit i would place a ripe / off going piece of fruit in it or close and the gases the rotting fruit produce ripen the other fruit if your with me. I know different things you get what I mean

I get what you mean. I keep the crickets on my dresser in my bedroom in a critter keeper. This critter keeper isn’t the smallest they make, it’s the next size up.. It’s never too cold or too hot. Here’s a picture. I’ve only ever kept like 20-30 crickets in here And I clean it between getting new batches. I bought 20 crickets a week ago and fed maybe 10 to Eustis and the rest died. What size critter keeper do I need for 50 of them because I’m getting that many from rainbow mealworms this coming week.

Attachments

• 1245F3D1-00FB-4CC3-945E-C102FF0108F2.jpeg
    1245F3D1-00FB-4CC3-945E-C102FF0108F2.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 98
I also have a question about repashy super load. I made some up about a week ago and keep it in the fridge. How long is it good for? Also on another post they were talking about it having preformed or preformed bit. A and D3 in it so do I adjust how I’m supplementing my male Jackson’s Xanthalophus? Actually I just read the label again and it contains vitA and D3.

Hi @Lindasjackson I use arcadia insect fuel but I also take/ use ingredients from the fresh gutload which I blend ( which was recommended by casque above) and put into ice cube trays once they are froze i pop them into a labeled bag which usually lasts a month.add I change and clean my dubia, cricket and locust containers every 2/3 days and add defrosted gutload cubes fresh greens and dry insect fuel along with bug gel .

I get what you mean. I keep the crickets on my dresser in my bedroom in a critter keeper. This critter keeper isn’t the smallest they make, it’s the next size up.. It’s never too cold or too hot. Here’s a picture. I’ve only ever kept like 20-30 crickets in here And I clean it between getting new batches. I bought 20 crickets a week ago and fed maybe 10 to Eustis and the rest died. What size critter keeper do I need for 50 of them because I’m getting that many from rainbow mealworms this coming week.
My trick is to get medium or small crix. Lots of times the large are already near the end of their life. Also smaller crix adapt better to a new environment and are being grown with proper gutload. You just have to allow time for a bit of growth.

I'd get a bigger bin if possible (it can be a cheap storage bin or a larger Cricket Keeper), and I'd make sure there's enough ventilation, like the lid cut out and covered with mesh if you go with a bin, along with adding other ventilation areas on the body of the bin if you want to, as well. More climbing and hiding surfaces will help too, like @kinyonga said. Paper towel and toilet paper rolls and clean carboard egg flats work great and are cheap! Try to keep them vertical so the gasses can escape. The Repashy Superload is a gutload to feed the night before feeding them off, not a maintenance gutload.

Thank you everyone! I am feeding fresh veggies but they seem to die faster with those So thought I would try repashy superload. So I guess I have to get something else. I’ll look for the arcadia insect fuel. I will get a new bin but how do you attach screen to the sides and top? Will hot glue work? What kind of screen should I use? I’m getting 50 medium crickets this week along with 50 Dubia roaches. how big of a container do I need for 50 Dubia s?

Thank you everyone! I am feeding fresh veggies but they seem to die faster with those So thought I would try repashy superload. So I guess I have to get something else. I’ll look for the arcadia insect fuel. I will get a new bin but how do you attach screen to the sides and top? Will hot glue work? What kind of screen should I use? I’m getting 50 medium crickets this week along with 50 Dubia roaches. how big of a container do I need for 50 Dubia s?
Hot glue works great, it's what I use! Regular mesh replacement window screen works if the crickets can't get to it. If they can, use aluminum or stainless steel etc. screen so they can't chew though it. The container for dubia depends on their size

I have this giant thing from chewy I think and there’s tubes that they hide in so you can dump them into shaker or what ever u dust very easily and I’ve not had any that die but idk if that’s the keeper it just the crickets

Ferders are a hit or miss at present from stores with the heat dubai are great feeders high in protein and these guys ( mine anyway are doing great temps here in the uk are nearly the same as los angelos and are extremely resilient

Yes if you it can handle 50 crickets as long as you provide enough egg crates to give enough hiding spaces

Back
Top Bottom