When superworms get too "super"

Kclarke02

Avid Member
I've had a batch of super worms for at least a month now, and some of them have gotten pretty big! I'm kinda afraid to feed them to Chloe, as I've read these can bite. What do I do with them?? o_Oo_O

They can bite, but if you hand feed Chloe, you just grab them by the head, they are defenseless, the back end cannot bite or sting or anything. Maybe put them in a feeder cup and she should be fine. The worst that would happen is that they could try to bite her face and whip around, it does give the cham a good scare sometimes, but they should be fine.

They can bite, but if you hand feed Chloe, you just grab them by the head, they are defenseless, the back end cannot bite or sting or anything. Maybe put them in a feeder cup and she should be fine. The worst that would happen is that they could try to bite her face and whip around, it does give the cham a good scare sometimes, but they should be fine.
I have a pair of feeder forceps that I use. That will work. I'll just grab them by the head and she'll get them! Otherwise she does have a food cup.... I just don't want them to whip around and bite her! She likes to get a feeder in her mouth and let it struggle for a bit, so that's what worries me. Smaller worms, like Phoenix, she gobbles up and is ready for the next one...lol! I'll try one and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!! (y)

Squeeze their heads with the tweezers. Like don't break them off but just give em a little brain damage and they don't have as much fight in them. Only do that if you're feeding them right away though cuz they probably won't survive too much longer depending on your grip ;)

Squeeze their heads with the tweezers. Like don't break them off but just give em a little brain damage and they don't have as much fight in them. Only do that if you're feeding them right away though cuz they probably won't survive too much longer depending on your grip ;)
This would definitely eliminate the risk of them biting your cham, which is good. Did I read in some other posts that it was superworms that can still bite while they are inside the cham, or was I misinterpreting what was written there?

This would definitely eliminate the risk of them biting your cham, which is good. Did I read in some other posts that it was superworms that can still bite while they are inside the cham, or was I misinterpreting what was written there?

I think I read the same thing. I don't know if there is any truth to that though. When mine eats them, he's not slurping them up like spaghetti. He chomps on them so I don't know how much life is left in them as they're being swallowed.

Why not try breeding the ones that get too big? I hear it's not difficult, so I've started trying the process myself with some big'uns. I've got about 5 that are already cacooned up, and I'm just waiting on them to hatch.

I cut all the heads off my superworms before I feed them to Bruce. Not taking any chances as I've heard the same thing. He eats them right out of my hand no problem

I cut all the heads off my superworms before I feed them to Bruce. Not taking any chances as I've heard the same thing. He eats them right out of my hand no problem

I wish my guy would hand feed! It would make things much simpler. All he does is slowly creep away behind his branch whenever he sees me :p

Super Worms are really easy to take care of. I hand feed all my boys with them and as stated just hold the head with the tip of your fingers. I have been doing it for a few years and not one issue. As far as hand feeding. They just have to get used to it. Maybe try a worm in your hand when it is normal feeding time. It is all about patients. They have to earn their trust. I have it now that if they see my hand going into the enclosure they get disappointed when there isn't a super worm or horn worm in my fingers.

I love the fights to the bitter end when the cham or tarantula gets "the wrong end" and the things spin around till the guys get a better grip. When "snow flake" the tarantula got her first super, she didnt know what to do, it was nothing like a cricket which required just one hit.

Ohh, what kinda tarantula do you have? I've got a metallic pink toe, and I never considered giving it a super! Then again I've never even seen it eat, so...

Ohh, what kinda tarantula do you have? I've got a metallic pink toe, and I never considered giving it a super! Then again I've never even seen it eat, so...

We are not spider people. I dont know if it is a tuffed white toe or what ever, its an inherited monstrosity that is living the good life, here it is with its 50 cent horn worm.

spider worm1.jpg

Granted I have small sausage fingers, here's one of the biggest supers I have right now....(sorry the lighting is bad. These buggers are fast)
image.jpeg

We are not spider people. I dont know if it is a tuffed white toe or what ever, its an inherited monstrosity that is living the good life, here it is with its 50 cent horn worm.

View attachment 163683
Nope, nope nope!!!! I have to agree with trickedoutbiker's GF, I'd set that beast ablaze real quick!! I can't do any kind of spider, not to mention a behemoth like that!! Ewww

Back
Top Bottom